Briggs Pulsa Jet carburetor issue - won’t pull fuel up?

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
  • / Briggs Pulsa Jet carburetor issue - won’t pull fuel up?
If it is rust you may be fighting a losing battle. You can remove the tank and put a big handful of machine nuts in it and shake it for a few minutes or put it in a vibratory cleaner to shake it then rinse it out a half dozen times and hope you get the loose rust out.
The problem with that is that the 3 qt tanks have plastic inserts and sometimes even a section of foam to prevent sloshing fuel.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Most those engines are old enough the yellow mesh is deteriorating. I pull it out of anything that comes in with it. They will run fine without it. Go cart racers never needed it to stop fuel slosh.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Just a thought, if it is a pulsa-jet carb, directly mounted on the tank, you may have an air leak between the carb and the tank. This would not allow the pump to work properly, pulling up the fuel into the tank reservoir. If the gasket doesn’t seal, as a last resort I’ve sealed the area outside the carb, with a gas resistant silicone sealer.

TylerFrankel1

Threads
so even just a little bit of gas touching your lips will hurt you.........?
I don't think so... hope not, cuz it's a weekly occurrence for me. Can't be worse than dipping I suppose.

TylerFrankel1

Threads
The problem with that is that the 3 qt tanks have plastic inserts and sometimes even a section of foam to prevent sloshing fuel.
Mine does have the stupid plastic insert. I can't imagine why fuel sloshing matters. I don't know how I would remove it though, because the filler hole is a smidgen smaller than the plastic piece.

TylerFrankel1

Threads
Just a thought, if it is a pulsa-jet carb, directly mounted on the tank, you may have an air leak between the carb and the tank. This would not allow the pump to work properly, pulling up the fuel into the tank reservoir. If the gasket doesn’t seal, as a last resort I’ve sealed the area outside the carb, with a gas resistant silicone sealer.
I made a cork gasket, which is quite thick, and it seems to be allowing it to work now.