Briggs Opposed Twin Governor Rod

joelwcassell

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello,

I am working on a Briggs horizontal opposed twin in a Cub Cadet 582. The model number of the engine is 401417. I am replacing the engine with a donor Briggs, but its throttle and governor linkage is different than original. I want to put the original setup back on, and am trying to figure out how to remove and adjust the governor arm.

A link to the diagram is below:

https://www.partstree.com/parts/cub...rden-tractor/air-cleaner-carburetor-governor/

My question is how does the governor arm come off? It has a clamping bolt through it, I assume that if I take that bolt off I can pull it upward and off? It seemed pretty tight even with the bolt out so I didn't want to damage anything.

In terms of adjustment I have heard that you need to turn the upright post all the way counter clockwise and push the arm forward to the throttle is closed, and then tighten. Does that sound right?

Joel

Tinkerer200

Threads
Hello,

I am working on a Briggs horizontal opposed twin in a Cub Cadet 582. The model number of the engine is 401417. I am replacing the engine with a donor Briggs, but its throttle and governor linkage is different than original. I want to put the original setup back on, and am trying to figure out how to remove and adjust the governor arm.

A link to the diagram is below:

https://www.partstree.com/parts/cub...rden-tractor/air-cleaner-carburetor-governor/

My question is how does the governor arm come off? It has a clamping bolt through it, I assume that if I take that bolt off I can pull it upward and off? It seemed pretty tight even with the bolt out so I didn't want to damage anything.

In terms of adjustment I have heard that you need to turn the upright post all the way counter clockwise and push the arm forward to the throttle is closed, and then tighten. Does that sound right?

Joel

I can send you a Service Manual if you like, address below put in proper format and remind me engine model number and what you want. However, loosen the clamp bolt in governor arm, insert flat screw driver in slotted area beside clamping bolt and spread arm slightly to ease pulling arm off. All B&S governors that I know of - to adjust move throttle to wide open position as far as it will go, observe if that rotates the governor shaft/arm clockwise or counter clockwise, hold throttle WO and turn the governor shaft on further in the direction of movement as far as it will go, re-tighten the governor arm clamp. Note that there will not be very much movement of governor shaft. Not sure why you are changing this but good luck.

Walt Conner
wconner5 at frontier dot com