Briggs appears to going the way of Harbor Freight

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
I think I am about ready to quit this business. All I got to do is make it another 9 months then I will have a steady income otherwise.

It's awesome. I now only have about 10 people that I do business with. They're rich, but nice. They don't complain about what I charge. They don't complain when I add a little something they need, without telling them first. They just expect me to keep their equipment running. What ever it needs.
I don't cheat them in anyway, of course. And they know it.

But as to your point, working when and as much as you want, is just so darn nice.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
I think the day is coming quickly that the business quits us.

I was just reading through that thread about those Briggs engines that don't have any parts available. Last night I was catching up on the saline ion battery technology, and how it's advancing.

You're spot on. Especially for those folks out in CA, where they've banned small engine lawn equipment. There's going to be a treasure trove of good used equipment out there headed to the scrap yard.
Wished I had a couple million to buy and haul it back here.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
The big $100/hr dealers around me won't touch the off brand chineese engine stuff and a couple only service it if they sold it. A car dealer sells Bad Boy mowers and they only service what they sell. Another car dealer is a Kubota power sports dealer and they only service kubota products. With the inability to lookup or source parts for all the new cheap equipment dealers are just avoiding issues. I see lots of stuff nobody else will touch and I have no problem telling folks up front that if it needs parts I probably can't fix it. When it gets to the point that everything is fuel injected or every part is NLA or no IPLs available I will just move on to another hustle.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Well here is the final comment from Briggs.

On 8/14/2023 4:15 PM, <customersupport@basco.com> wrote:

XXXXXX,

This was a contract manufactured machine and the power products team that is no longer around decided not to support the engine completely. It was not a True Brigg's product.

We completely understand your frustration.

Respectfully
Craig
Just one of those Con jobs done to the customers. And is a total embarrassment for Briggs and myself as a dealer.

Last edited:

grumpyunk

Threads
Not a dealer, Given that B&S declared bankruptcy, and moved most of their production overseas, why would anyone be surprised that service parts are NLA. All spare parts at the factory are used up on the 2nd and 3rd shifts where eerily similar looking engines with different names roll off the assembly lines. Sometimes they even paint them a different color.
I have no idea how this is going to turn out, but so far I am not impressed with how the US based suppliers decided higher profits today were better than being loyal to their long-time employees, And at the same time, expessed disinterest in any future beyond the next quarterly report from the WS analysts. Stock price, you know... They forgot it doesnt matter when the firm goes belly up.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
Well here is the final comment from Briggs.

On 8/14/2023 4:15 PM, <customersupport@basco.com> wrote:

Just one of those Con jobs done to the customers. And is a total embarrassment for Briggs and myself as a dealer.

I see what happened, I think. Briggs tried them out, let them build a few engines for them, and they sucked. So briggs dropped them.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
Not a dealer, Given that B&S declared bankruptcy, and moved most of their production overseas, why would anyone be surprised that service parts are NLA. All spare parts at the factory are used up on the 2nd and 3rd shifts where eerily similar looking engines with different names roll off the assembly lines. Sometimes they even paint them a different color.
I have no idea how this is going to turn out, but so far I am not impressed with how the US based suppliers decided higher profits today were better than being loyal to their long-time employees, And at the same time, expessed disinterest in any future beyond the next quarterly report from the WS analysts. Stock price, you know... They forgot it doesnt matter when the firm goes belly up.

Upper management trying to impress investors, would be my guess. All upper management has to increase profits or they're fired.