Briggs appears to going the way of Harbor Freight

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Well gentlemen this is just my opinion but it looks like Briggs is taking up the bad habits of Harbor Freight on their small engines.

I got last week a Briggs horizontal shaft 13U2-80098068-F1 engine. Even the model number is formatted differently than what I am use to. Even tried the serial number with no results. No where on the Briggs Dealer Power Portal I can pull up the engine. I did manage to pull up the pressure washer and engine just has few of the external parts with no internal parts listed. Can't get an ignition coil for it. Apparently Briggs is now selling throw away engines like Harbor Freight. We can't repair engines when we can't get the parts.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
Well gentlemen this is just my opinion but it looks like Briggs is taking up the bad habits of Harbor Freight on their small engines.

I got last week a Briggs horizontal shaft 13U2-80098068-F1 engine. Even the model number is formatted differently than what I am use to. Even tried the serial number with no results. No where on the Briggs Dealer Power Portal I can pull up the engine. I did manage to pull up the pressure washer and engine just has few of the external parts with no internal parts listed. Can't get an ignition coil for it. Apparently Briggs is now selling throw away engines like Harbor Freight. We can't repair engines when we can't get the parts.

They're meeting a market. Low end, lower costs for low end consumers. I'm sure they still make a branded engine, that's superior to their low end stuff.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Threads
That rich. Low end consumers just getting knifed in the back. Buying cheap usually means you will in the end spend at least twice the money maintaining your equipment by having to constantly replace it. It just another Slick Willy con job of what they think is the stupid consumer.

Boy things are going to heck in a thimble now instead of a hand basket.

A kinda glad I basically bailed on being a Briggs and Stratton dealer last year. Just didn't have the volume they want me selling of parts.

Just can't see myself selling junk; unless, it is to the scrape yard.

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
@StarTech what is the brand and model of that pressure washer. I am wondering if it was made by Briggs but the pressure washer OEM is claiming it is their engine. LIke JD does with Kawasaki in the US.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Threads
@StarTech what is the brand and model of that pressure washer. I am wondering if it was made by Briggs but the pressure washer OEM is claiming it is their engine. LIke JD does with Kawasaki in the US.
IL go Briggs power portal and enter CMXGWAS020790-03 and it will pull up the pressure washer so it is either built by Briggs or by one its sub contractors for Craftsman.

And it kinda hard for Craftsman to claim it as their own with all the Briggs labels and logos on it. Plus all the part numbers in the IPL are Briggs PNs.

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Totally Briggs item licensed to Craftsman, and that is that series of engine that we were talking about a few months ago were there was no internal parts and what parts were available were assemblies like couldn't get starter pulley or spring, had to get complete starter. The XR CR series engines.

Wondering if the 797343 modules for the 13U232 series engines will work.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Hopefully Briggs will respond to my email but most time they just ignore my emails.

and look at me I swallowed a dinosaur.

1691964510203.png

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
The small hardware store in town has me work on the mowers they sell. They sit too long and the fuel goes bad in the carbs. These are the absolute cheapest push mowers. They sell for $150. They have Briggs engines I have never seen before. They look cheap. I haven't needed to order any parts yet but the store said that their supplier told them no parts are available except air filter and spark plug. I guess these are throw away mowers.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
These are the B & S engines from one of the B & S factories in China
The first give away is the engine number is a dot point etch in the crank case behind the carb
We got them a long while ago & they were such a massive flop in the market that most of the mowers fitted with them were retro fitted with US B & S engines
Now most have a very large sticker that says "ENGINE MADE IN THE USA " on the engine in 2 places plus on the swing tags
And yes they were mainly on the bottom end mowers $ 200 ( AUS ) or less and store branded mowers .
However shop brands now seem to have Lifans , Ducars & Zongsins as even the Loncins are considered to be "Too Expensive "
And of course no service parts what so ever for any of them

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I think I am about ready to quit this business. All I got to do is make it another 9 months then I will have a steady income otherwise.