briggs and stratton retractable starter

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
So, as a mechanic, you would just "slip the pawl back in"?

And that is a good repair that a "Mechanic" would do?

No a good mechanic would dis-assemble it completely, and clean and replace all of the worn parts so the part functioned as
it was meant to.

The most likely worn out spot on that starter is the pockets where the pawls ride, which would require you to replace the plastic pulley, which is only sold with the spring, and on this outdated model costs @ $25, as that starter is no longer made,
replaced by the model with the bolt in the middle instead of the roll pin.

Now you can buy the new starter for $21.15 and just bolt it on and be done, or totally disassemble everything and buy a
new pulley/spring for @25$, what would "an intelligent mechanic" do????????

OEM Parts

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
So, as a mechanic, you would just "slip the pawl back in"?

And that is a good repair that a "Mechanic" would do?

No a good mechanic would dis-assemble it completely, and clean and replace all of the worn parts so the part functioned as
it was meant to.

The most likely worn out spot on that starter is the pockets where the pawls ride, which would require you to replace the plastic pulley, which is only sold with the spring, and on this outdated model costs @ $25, as that starter is no longer made,
replaced by the model with the bolt in the middle instead of the roll pin.

Now you can buy the new starter for $21.15 and just bolt it on and be done, or totally disassemble everything and buy a
new pulley/spring for @25$, what would "an intelligent mechanic" do????????

OEM Parts

I did not say "slip the pawl back in"

yes a good mechanic would disassemble it completely and repair or replace any parts that need to be done, ( yes a good mechanic ) not a store's boy who would just say "Buy a new starter.... " what's the point in posted that up. now am out of here.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Model # 135202
type# 0145
Code# 93040627
I am unable to reinsert the pawl and spring.
Do I the need to disassemble the mechanism to get this back in or should I just get another assembly?

Recoil Starter 497830 Order now for same day shipping. 365 day return policy. RepairClinic.com

Hence, my response...... Buy a new starter......

Why would you disassemble this starter? The pulley/spring itself costs almost as much as the whole replacement starter?

But I knew this already, you still don't.........

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
Sometimes parts replacement is better than rebuilding. I think about it this way the original piece lasted how many years of unknown abuse. How many years would a brand new last.

Flip side the car mechanic shop down the road I kinda don't like him anymore he is absolutely no good at diagnostics... He's a parts replacer that's all he does I had a fuel pump replaced because I didn't wanna do it and he couldn't diagnose it.... He had taken it somewhere else to get a test on it..... Even after I dropped it off I told him it was fuel pump. I've heard from other people he just throws parts at cars unfilled its fixed than sends them the bill. So no I don't think he's a mechanic he's a parts replacer who has Google telling bin what to do.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Yes, and it also depends on what kind of shop that you are working for. Big shop owners frown upon a tech diddling with a $30 part, when the shop labor rate is $80, especially if there is a likelihood of the repair coming back.

Also certain situations have to be learned by doing them wrong the first time, or listening to someone who has been there.

Like a Kohler starter, the type with the solenoid on top. The solenoid is defective, but you should replace the whole starter.
Why, because the solenoid by itself is just a few dollars less than the whole starter/solenoid.

Or certain Stihl saws and trimmers with Zama carbs, rebuild or replace the carb? Most times anymore, just replace the carb.
Why, because the whole carb sells for just a little more than the Zama kit.

RobertBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
UPDATE

Since I really needed to use this tiller this weekend.....

I decided to use the information given to me by engineman and attempt to compress the pin holding the assembly together, enabling me to remove the bits preventing me from reinstalling the pawl. I quickly learned the following:

The hollow pin is not a split pin. :mad:

It has a split on one end only to facilitate the flare at business end that holds the assembly together. the flare is part of the assembly process and it's dis-assembly is not impossible, it's highly unlikely that it can be done without some specialized tolls that I don't own or have any knowledge of.
As far any reassembly.......beyond the realm of possibly with the tools that I have, and I have a lot.
As far as I'm concerned...on this machine
This part is not serviceable....it must be replaced.
I just spent an hour discovering this. I'm just a little bit smarter now.
Thanks to everyone who took the time to help out a member.

Fish! You were right, and thanks for the link to the part on ebay. It's may intention to order same this afternoon.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
I just picked a quick one off of e-bay, I am not recommending it.. Like I said this morning, your local mower shop likely has one on the shelf for roughly the same price, but they usually close early on Sat. Heck, Lowes or Tractor Supply might even have it.

That is the one thing I found about sales in the Spring, the customer really wants the part/fix today, as they work for a living, and days off are rare, and they want to be tilling/mowing today!!!!

RobertBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
I just picked a quick one off of e-bay, I am not recommending it..
Is it the correct one or not?
It was the same as the one I researched on Amazon only cheaper.
I just ordered it before you posted.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Yeah, it should be the same.. They didn't make many/any variations. Let me know, It will be ok, some of these e-bay posters will sell them cheaper that I can buy them for, I don't know how they do it.......