Briggs and Stratton Intek 206

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I mean to me it also sounds like the spark isn’t there but outside the chamber it looks good and I’ve got about 5k ohms on the coil which sounds pretty healthy to me.
Means diddly squat
The coil has a chip in it which replaces the points and that can be fried by using a cheap meter to check the resistance
However the coil is not a repairable item so testing it other than as Scrubby has mentioned is all that is needed
It either works or it don;t work & needs replacing.

Dan_P

Forum Newbie
Threads
Means diddly squat
The coil has a chip in it which replaces the points and that can be fried by using a cheap meter to check the resistance
However the coil is not a repairable item so testing it other than as Scrubby has mentioned is all that is needed
It either works or it don;t work & needs replacing.
Okay, I mean my Fluke meter isn’t cheap but I will order a replacement then. Personally don’t think it’s that but will see how that goes.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Set the coil to flywheel gap to .010" use a spark gap tester or position the coil wire without a spark plug 1/4" from ground a pull engine over. If it will arc blue across a 1/4" gap the coil is fine. If it won't arc the gap replace the coil.
If it will arc the 1/4" gap and the flywheel key is intact and you have good(new) spark plug then spark is not your problem. If you have tried giving the engine a shot if starting fluid and it still won't fire then you have a compression problem.

Mower King

Threads
I mean to me it also sounds like the spark isn’t there but outside the chamber it looks good and I’ve got about 5k ohms on the coil which sounds pretty healthy to me.
You have to PHYSICALLY LOOK at the spark and be able to tell if it's enough spark, and just because you have spark outside the engine, doesn't mean it's enough spark inside the engine with compression.....compression will "blow" a weak spark out and it will never run like that.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Wow, this thread went south fast?. Rather than using the tounge to check spark a more accepted methed is the 1/4" gap test. If the spark will jump a 1/4" gap in air it will run the engine.

Dan_P

Forum Newbie
Threads
I tried the 1/4 spacing and it did arc, so I assume I have a compression issue...

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Before ordering new parts check the flywheel key again. Wouldn’t be the first time a key is replaced and will shear immediately because the flywheel was not torqued properly.