Briggs and Stratton Intek 206

Dan_P

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi,

I've been given an Earthquake garden shredder which I cannot for the life of me get to start.

So I've run out of ideas, just wondering if anyone could help?

It doesn't seem to attempt to fire, like there is no spark but there definitely is.

I've changed the spark plug/ verified a good spark, I can feel suction in the plug hole when attempting to start. I've really deep cleaned the carb (that is spotless now!). Flywheel engages and can feel the resistance. Fuel lines are all good and there is fuel getting to the carb.

Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Have you checked the flywheel key to see if it has been offset or sheared. If somebody jammed the shredder it could of sheared the flywheel key.

Dan_P

Forum Newbie
Threads
Have you checked the flywheel key to see if it has been offset or sheared. If somebody jammed the shredder it could of sheared the flywheel key.
Bang on! Sheared flywheel key, will order a replacement and hopefully be good to go!
Thanks so much!

Dan_P

Forum Newbie
Threads
Scrap that! Still not starting. In fact, no different to before I changed the the flywheel key... any other ideas?

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Spray some carb cleaner or pour a Small amount of gasoline down the spark plug hole, reinstall the plug and plug wire, try to start. If it fires then dies, you have good spark and there is a fuel issue. if it doesn't fire no spark. sometimes spark can show good outside of the cylinder but occasionally will not fire when in the cylinder.
also have you checked that the valves are operating correctly?

Dan_P

Forum Newbie
Threads
Tried the carb cleaner and didn’t fire at all. Tried a new spark plug and that made no difference. Maybe I will have to dive a bit deeper...
Thanks for the help!

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Locate the ignition coil, it's behind the recoil starter/blower housing, there is a black kill wire hooked to it, unplug it. Then repeat the process I mentioned above, if it still won't spark, coil is bad.

Dan_P

Forum Newbie
Threads
Yeah tried unplugging that and made no difference. Got a good resistance on the starter coil though so I think that’s fine?

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
So you unplugged the kill wire and still no spark? Sounds like a bad coil to me.
Of course I know you said it showed good spark... I wonder if you ought to do a compression test and get A number

Dan_P

Forum Newbie
Threads
I mean to me it also sounds like the spark isn’t there but outside the chamber it looks good and I’ve got about 5k ohms on the coil which sounds pretty healthy to me.