Briggs and Stratton 5 HP Wont Start

Threads
I was using the drill (15/16) to start my engine. However, once I got it started, the extension on the end of the socket spun out of orbit and broke the crankshaft just past the starter clutch. My issue before is that the pull start would and does not want to start the engine. The drill however, be it gas or ESF would make it start. My 5HP uses the magnet on the flywheel to make a spark, not the points and condenser. Now, I have finally got everything back together, new crankshaft, piston rings, and crank case gasket, but my socket does not fit the new starter clutch. It barely catches, then slips. I think once before the crankshaft broke I sprayed ESF in the intake and the pull start was able to crank it. I cant remember that well honestly. But, now with everything installed, the pull start gets to a point where it wants to start the engine, but it just wont. Like, I hear the compression, but it just doesnt seem like the engine will make a full revolution on its own. :thumbdown::frown: Any suggestions? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

-Thanks, charlie

LA1

Forum Newbie
Threads
you can take the spark plug out and lay with the threads touching exposed metal with the cap on the other end and have someone pull the start ...see if you see a spark. could be the transistor pack in the coil since you do not have points. first you may want to squirt some carb cleaner in the carb to see if that will kick over the engine. If you have the plastic carb I would only squirt sensor safe throttle body cleaner.

Threads
It has spark for sure. Found that out the hard way. I put the carb and tank back on and it seems like it wants to start, but wont get to it. I got the exhaust hole to pop once or twice but that was out of like fifty pulls. Any other ideas?

Threads
Alright, so I finally got the socket to go on the clutch. Now, as I was spinning it (Engine would do three revolutions like if I pulled it) the gas tank caught on fire (on the outside, I just sprayed it down.) I have used every technique in the book to try to get this engine started. I have sprayed fluid into the head, the carb, even right into the intake, and nothing. If anyone could help me at all, I would really be appreciative.

-Thanks

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Sounds like the main problem you have is trying to keep using that drill....

Any best guess in all of this convoluted story, is that in your travails, that you have not torqued/tightened the flywheel fastener down tight enough and have sheared the key....

Threads
Sounds like the main problem you have is trying to keep using that drill....

Any best guess in all of this convoluted story, is that in your travails, that you have not torqued/tightened the flywheel fastener down tight enough and have sheared the key....

Flywheel Faster? I know there was a washer that went between it and the flywheel. Before I installed the clutch, I made sure to slide they key in the slit. Is it possible I slid it too far? I tightened the clutch as much as i could, while bracing the flywheel, and using a clutch tool.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
check the key, it is likely sheared.

Threads
check the key, it is likely sheared.

Sadly, as I suspected, the key is in 100% intact condition. Just had to pull the clutch and the washer off. When I got to the bottom of the flywheel though, the key was all the way in the hole underneath the wheel. Would this have any effect on it? I did put it in that place like that, but I figured it would need to be out just a little bit. Any other ideas?

-Thanks.

Threads

Anyone else have any other suggestions? I've pretty much covered every possibility I could find.

Derson59

Threads

Anyone else have any other suggestions? I've pretty much covered every possibility I could find.

I would clean the carb up. I would also change the spark plug. Check the old spark plug for oil and carbon. Check your brake cable as well. Check your oil level. I believe that your flywheel key should be up a little so you can see it when you remove the recoil assembly. Try those things and see if the works. Good luck.