Briggs 17.5 opposed twin will not restart when hot 42A707

troy-built

Threads
  • / Briggs 17.5 opposed twin will not restart when hot 42A707
Yipee!! She's a runner.

Okay, that filthy engine is next. Remove the engine shroud again and clean all that oily dirt mud pack muck off the top of the engine block and cooling fins.
LOL There is none. Remember I said I pulled the motor to replace the pan gasket. It's clean as a whistle.

Man was I wrong, You have a good eye. I totally missed that dirt until you mentioned it and then I seen it in the pic. That's why I like taking pics when I'm working on something because I couldn't see down in there because it was dark and I took the pic with the flash on. The dirt was only in that one spot and I'd be willing to bet that little bit of stopped up fins was making that head get hot under the coil.

This is exactly why I like people chiming in on a forum.

Many thanks

Last edited:

troy-built

Threads
Oh by the way why is it so hard to get to this web site. It takes me no less than 5 tries everytime sometimes more to get on here. I don't have a problem anywhere else.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Oh by the way why is it so hard to get to this web site. It takes me no less than 5 tries everytime sometimes more to get on here. I don't have a problem anywhere else.
what issues are you having? takes a long time to load?
none on my end.

troy-built

Threads
what issues are you having? takes a long time to load?
none on my end.
I have the forum link saved on my PC and when I click on it it just sits and spins. I can click on something else and it pops right up. I've even typed in the name and it will do the same on duck duck go or google. I close the link that hasn't opened start all over with a new link and it might not open and it might.

I have no idea what the problem is this is the ONLY place I have trouble getting on to.

Last edited:

troy-built

Threads
Ok here you go guys hope this thread helps people in the future. I haven't run it much yet but I'd be willing to bet my starting problem is fixed. I will let you know if it isn't. MVC-015S.JPG

Attachments

• MVC-017S.JPG
    MVC-017S.JPG
    31.3 KB · Views: 5
  • MVC-018S.JPG
    MVC-018S.JPG
    33.1 KB · Views: 5

troy-built

Threads
Ok I have another question, On these nikki 4 screw carbs what's involved in richning them up the mower is running lean as it's surging. I can pull the choke out just a little and it smooths out. Or should I find an older 3 screw carb? Thanks

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Probably needs a good carburetor cleaning. I don't think the 4 screw have any fuel adjustments, some do and some don't.

troy-built

Threads
Probably needs a good carburetor cleaning. I don't think the 4 screw have any fuel adjustments, some do and some don't.
Yea that's what I've seen that the 4 screw carbs don't have any adjustment. Well they do but it's behind the welch plug. The 3 screw can be adjusted.

This has been a learning curve and I'm learning a lot. Small engines is something I have never worked on but I will say I'm really enjoying it

Thanks everyone that has chimed in to help.

Last edited:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I'm beginning to believe it's all the pop up adds that's slowing things down for me. Oh well.
Yep.
When the adds were static they loaded quickly
Now they are dynamic so they take a long time to load and the tiny routines to make the adds move & chage theem hy-jacks the processor continually.
every time the add changes on the page the server interrogates ( snoops ) your cashe & history in order to place the add you are most likely to read.'All of this take time & uses up download allocations .
Good logic behind it and probably works well on a brand new state of art computer with 10Gb+ of rams , SSD hard drives and multiple multi core processors runningat astronomical speeds that the computer wankers play with .
Some of the scripts that were really bogging my computer down were trying to access Microsoft Tool Box routines , which not being a Windoze box it could no find so it went into an endless loop till I eventually terminated the script at which time the browser generally crashed .