BREAKING NEWS: Massive STIHL Layoffs As Company LOSES Profits!

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Threads
  • / BREAKING NEWS: Massive STIHL Layoffs As Company LOSES Profits!
Yes we are more dependent on other countries then many consumers realize. And this current war in Eurasia is affect quiet a bit of things. The worst may be yet to come if China get started in the China Sea area. Lot of production goes on that area too.

I have been seeing a lot made out the USA labels on all parts lately. Just assembled in the USA. Just kinda glad I am approaching the retire phase of this battle of getting parts.

We were at one time could get about any part we needed, now it seems only assembled parts are available. Last I was needing a throttle shaft for a Walbro carburetor, I had to order a complete carburetor for the repair.

And it is just about same for things like my Chevy transmission where the parts to repair it cost nearly as much as a factory rebuilt unit. I had at least $1500 in parts that I needed and the rebuilt was $1800 with a 4 yr warranty. IF used vehicles weren't so high I would have just retired the truck that has 343,000 miles on it.

Tiger Small Engine

Threads
Also remember a lot of the electronic bits used in Stihl gear was made in Ukrane & Belarouse
Both of these countries are currently devoting nearly all production to making weapons to kill each other with .
Bottom end stuff comes from China but as manufacturing in the USA is more expensive so it will be mainly commercial - top end residential made in the US using the imported parts that they can not get at the moment .
The zero turn market is already very competitive.
Other than brand recognition, Stihl zero turn mowers offer not real advantages or benefits over other zero turns.
The economy is nowhere near as “good and stable” as many would lead you to believe.
I am a Stihl guy on handheld equipment, but will be a hard pass on their zero turns.

upupandaway

Threads
Right. Homeowners can charge their stuff all week. Commercial guys can't.
Too bad, consumers will have to buy a new battery trimmer\mower every 3\4 years unlike gas powered. Just the cost of a battery is equal or close to just buying a new one. Maybe that is the new marketing trick - The battery is guaranteed to die in a few years....

Gas lasts alot longer. Sure it might need to be fixed for the average consumer but it will be less than spending $200 for a new battery.
Someone actually brought me an echo trimmer that was made in the 90's. All it needed was a new carb diaphragm.
Same for me, personally, I still use a Stihl Bg75 also from the 90's and my FS80 from 70's.

Tiger Small Engine

Threads
Too bad, consumers will have to buy a new battery trimmer\mower every 3\4 years unlike gas powered. Just the cost of a battery is equal or close to just buying a new one. Maybe that is the new marketing trick - The battery is guaranteed to die in a few years....

Gas lasts alot longer. Sure it might need to be fixed for the average consumer but it will be less than spending $200 for a new battery.
Someone actually brought me an echo trimmer that was made in the 90's. All it needed was a new carb diaphragm.
Same for me, personally, I still use a Stihl Bg75 also from the 90's and my FS80 from 70's.
So I read three different articles online about the layoffs of Stihl. 2500 employees at Virginia Beach, Virginia plant and one third will be furloughed for 4-16 weeks. No heads up, no pay during layoffs, just a short notice mass text from Stihl.
A few observations here:
They say that excessive inventories has lead to the short term layoff.
No doubt increased battery purchases from customers has impacted gas sales.
I believe the economy is not nearly as “sound and solid” as politicians and others would lead you to believe.
Literally one comment regarding the Stihl layoffs out of three different articles, in comment section. Now if it were about someone important like the Kardasians, or global warming, why, the comments would be in the thousands.
I personally think laying off hundreds of employees from a company like Stihl is a huge deal. A canary in the coal mine so to speak.

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
I’m looking at for new pole saw. I’m going with Echo.

Last edited:

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
If techs are having a hard time getting parts, I'm not sure how they have too many parts. lol

Wrong parts?

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If techs are having a hard time getting parts, I'm not sure how they have too many parts. lol

Wrong parts?
Part of their problem is techs like me that can still go around their high priced parts. Just priced a Zama GND kit from Stihl as they make out they are the only source for the parts. They want nearly as much they do for a carburetor. Well not quite but even $24 is pricey for a GND kit. And refuse to sell the full carburetor kit (with needle valve). Well I been doing this long enough that I put together my own kit for under $10 and they are Zama OEM parts. So they just lost the sale of 6 kits today.

And China is also working on them too sales wise..

My local dealer just sold out recently and the new dealer insists on charging me full retail and not going give me the 10% discount I was getting.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have 3 stihl dealers near me and none of them will give me a discount. I pay retail like everybody else. Best they do is tax free.