BREAKING NEWS: Massive STIHL Layoffs As Company LOSES Profits!

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
  • / BREAKING NEWS: Massive STIHL Layoffs As Company LOSES Profits!
I think it's just an adjustment being made. Nothing to get worried about. (yet)

BREAKING NEWS: Massive STIHL Layoffs As Company LOSES Profits!​

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
everyones screwed and it ain't gonna get better anytime soon.

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
I wonder how much their partnership with Briggs and Stratton is costing them? Those slick looking Orange and White Ferris mowers have to come at some cost.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
I wonder how much their partnership with Briggs and Stratton is costing them? Those slick looking Orange and White Ferris mowers have to come at some cost.

I've always like Ferris. So I've been real tempted to buy a new Stihl ZTR. If they did anything other than just mow, I'd have one already. But I just can't do it. That $12,000 would make my pick up like new again.

Priorities, ya know.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Threads
And it appears that the economy has a lot to do with it. We just don't have the money to over pay for everything. Here in the last few years what is coming in for repairs has changed a lot.

It like my Briggs distributor demanding me to buy $2000 in parts that I didn't need just to keep them profitable. Well I dropped the Briggs distributor and so far this I have only seen 3 Briggs engines in my which I already had the parts in stock for form three years ago. Currently the main OEM engines I am seeing are Kawasaki engines. Now next year who knows what will be the problem OEM line of products.

Also with Stihl they made several changes that affected my repairs of their equipment. One being barring Zama from sell repair kit through the regular distributor channel. According the info these kit were to be available through the local Stihl dealers but even they can't get them only new carbs. And with the war in Ukraine Stihl is not able to provide maintenance kits as they were source out of the Ukraine. And I am not able to mufflers or drive shafts from Stihl for the brush cutters. I have to part good machines just to repair customer units.

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
And it appears that the economy has a lot to do with it. We just don't have the money to over pay for everything. Here in the last few years what is coming in for repairs has changed a lot.

It like my Briggs distributor demanding me to buy $2000 in parts that I didn't need just to keep them profitable. Well I dropped the Briggs distributor and so far this I have only seen 3 Briggs engines in my which I already had the parts in stock for form three years ago. Currently the main OEM engines I am seeing are Kawasaki engines. Now next year who knows what will be the problem OEM line of products.

Also with Stihl they made several changes that affected my repairs of their equipment. One being barring Zama from sell repair kit through the regular distributor channel. According the info these kit were to be available through the local Stihl dealers but even they can't get them only new carbs. And with the war in Ukraine Stihl is not able to provide maintenance kits as they were source out of the Ukraine. And I am not able to mufflers or drive shafts from Stihl for the brush cutters. I have to part good machines just to repair customer units.
I have been seeing the same trend. Less items to work on but bigger more expensive repairs few trimmers and riders. More higher end Z turns and most with Kaw engines.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Most homeowner stuff will go electric I bet.
Commercial companies will stay with ICE power.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
Most homeowner stuff will go electric I bet.
Commercial companies will stay with ICE power.

Right. Homeowners can charge their stuff all week. Commercial guys can't.

The customer that just gave me a Tanaka weed eater & a stihl said he just didn't need them. He's got an electric one, with two batteries that does what he needs done. No gas mix to worry about, winter storage. Says it's a lot easier to load the string.

His two badboy mowers are giving him fits. Last week, both were broke down at the same time.

Layoffs are just part of the economy rebounding, if you look at from a long term perspective. It's just part of the cycle. They regroup, cut their overhead and restructure to keep going until demand increases. It's near the end of the mowing season. So the demand is slowing. Not a lot of folks buying new lawn equipment right now.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Stihl is going for the commercial user handheld market with the AR3000 battery system.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Also remember a lot of the electronic bits used in Stihl gear was made in Ukrane & Belarouse
Both of these countries are currently devoting nearly all production to making weapons to kill each other with .
Bottom end stuff comes from China but as manufacturing in the USA is more expensive so it will be mainly commercial - top end residential made in the US using the imported parts that they can not get at the moment .