Brand New 2012 Scag Tiger Cat Has been sitting for approx 2yrs?

wdrdoctor

Threads
  • / Brand New 2012 Scag Tiger Cat Has been sitting for approx 2yrs?
I found a dealer that has a brand new 2012 scag tiger cat with 1.2 hrs on it.
I'm concerned about buying a mower that has been sitting since 2012.
What are your thoughts?

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
My thoughts are if it's been setting out in the elements for 2 years, to compensate, offer 15 percent off sticker price and another 10 percent off sticker to replace a good portion of the vinyl ( seat etc. ) and rubber components plus correct any rust problems. Could possibly need a re-paint job to cover sun faded paint.

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
There really is no such thing as a 2012 Tiger Cat and the reason being that Scag usually does a specific model and serial number range for two years before a change. My Scag Tiger Cub was built in early 2007 and I bought it new in Aug of 2008. My dealer has covered outside storage and a very nice showroom.
Has this machine been inside or outside while at the dealer?

wdrdoctor

Threads
There really is no such thing as a 2012 Tiger Cat and the reason being that Scag usually does a specific model and serial number range for two years before a change. My Scag Tiger Cub was built in early 2007 and I bought it new in Aug of 2008. My dealer has covered outside storage and a very nice showroom.
Has this machine been inside or outside while at the dealer?

I doubt the salesperson would be completely honest with me in regards to if the mower was stored inside or outside. I have yet to see the mower in person,but I think this weekend I will make the trip to the dealership. Once I get my eyes on it in person I will be able to determine how it was stored,etc.
The salesperson quoted me $6,499,but I'm going to keep working on the price. The mower has a 22hp fs kawi ,so with that said,I'm not 100% yet.

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
If it has been stored outside with exposure to the sun, then it will have faded areas on it. It probably is a 52" deck with a Kawi FS691V engine.
If you can get the serial number, you can go to the Scag site, click on manuals on the L/H side, find the model and S/N range and download the manual. The manual title page will have the print date and the date(s) of any revisions. The print date will give you a good idea of the start date of the 2 year run of a particular model. where the machine S/N falls into the S/N range will give you an idea of when it was manufactured. My machine was S/N 6501057 of 6500001 to 6599999, so it was an early unit of this run from 2007-2009. Scag doesn't necessarily do a full run of serial numbers. When the Kawasaki liquid cooled engines started having problems early on, Scag and other manufacturers ended some runs early as result, changed engine lines and initiated a new model and S/N run.

wdrdoctor

Threads
It's a 48" deck,with 22hp kawi fs engine.