Brake on bottom of mower will not release

gerry101

Forum Newbie
Threads
model HRM215HE
s/n MZBB6369806
Age ????

Mowed aprox. 2/3 of yard when mower stopped running. Mower crank almost impossible to pull through cycle. Never had this problem before. Would appreciate any & all advise.

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
model HRM215HE
s/n MZBB6369806
Age ????

Mowed aprox. 2/3 of yard when mower stopped running. Mower crank almost impossible to pull through cycle. Never had this problem before. Would appreciate any & all advise.

So it stopped and won't start now, hard to pull the recoil...might you have hit or run over something that may have bent the crankshaft or damaged the engine?

Did the mower have enough oil? Maybe it seized up from a lack of lubrication?

Any other symptoms, noise, or other things happen before this problem?

The GXV140 engine is very stout...rare to have one lock-up for no reason...

gerry101

Forum Newbie
Threads
Robert, thanks for the response. I did not explain well enough. There is plenty of oil, nothing was run over. The brake on the bottom of the unit is what is keeping the engine from turning over. Any ideas to what might be causing the brake to stick closed?
Thanks again for your response. Any & all are appreciated.

Dumbfounded in Arkansas.............

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
Robert, thanks for the response. I did not explain well enough. There is plenty of oil, nothing was run over. The brake on the bottom of the unit is what is keeping the engine from turning over. Any ideas to what might be causing the brake to stick closed?
Thanks again for your response. Any & all are appreciated.

Dumbfounded in Arkansas.............

So the Roto-Stop system does have brakes (yellow) but they stop just the blade, not the engine. The spring (red) forces the brakes to be applied to the blades, until the blade control lever on the handlebar is engaged and pulled back. This releases the brakes, and engages the clutch so the blades are now connected to the engine and spin.

roto-stop_zpsef86d84f.jpg

If any part of this "failed," for example, the clutch froze and would not disengage, you could still pull the engine over with the recoil, just would take more effort.

Since the recoil will not turn over the engine, I'd suspect there is either a failure in the recoil, or some kind of internal engine damage.

If you want to DIY and do all this work yourself, I'd strongly suggest a shop manual, but probably best if you have a Honda dealer inspect and evaluate the problem.

For a shop manual, look here: PE Shop Manuals on eBay

To find your local dealer, go here: Find A Honda Dealer