Bought Used HRM215-EL - and it cuts too low !!!

tjodork

Forum Newbie
Threads
I just bought a used Honda HRM215-EL mower which has a clutch for the blade (for my daughter). I didn't need the blade clutch but thats what the mower had.
I mowed my lawn tonight on the HIGHEST settings and its clearly too low. Leaving globs of grass all over AND my lawn was mowed only a few days ago
I have a HRM215-3SDA (no blade clutch) and I did some measurements...

.........................................Mine..........HRM215-EL
Deck to Ground(avg) mm........79...............75
Blade To Deck Bottom mm.......-8 (inside)...+3 (i.e. below deck)

This causes a delta of 15mm .... How could Honda design this like this ?
Note the wheels are exactly the same size ( I thought I could get bigger wheels but they would hit deck)

I've been helped a ton in the past, hoping someone else has a solution !!

Thanks
Tim

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
I just bought a used Honda HRM215-EL mower

I have a HRM215-3SDA (no blade clutch)

To be sure, let's have the full serial numbers off the back of both mower decks. There has never been a Honda "HRM215-EL" model to my knowledge. All HRM215's sold in the USA have been:
PXA
SXA
PDA
SDA

Those with a blade clutch have an "X" code in the model. "P" = push and "S" = self-propelled. "A" = USA market.

All USA-spec HRM215 models were built with a mowing height (distance from the blade tip to the ground) range of 1"~3-1/2". A variation of 15mm (1/2 inch) could be due to a bent blade, worn tires, worn/damaged height adjusters, etc.

The correct way to measure the height is to use a crayon or small wood dowel. Set all adjusters to the same position, and carefully (gloves) turn the blade so one tip is pointed to the front. Scribe a mark on the crayon/dowel at the very tip, then turn the blade 180 degrees. The mark should be in the same position (or else bent damaged blade(s)). Be sure to do this on a flat level surface.

vfrkent

Forum Newbie
Threads
It sounds like some one installed the wrong blade on the mower, see if you can get a PN: off of the blade and compare to the factory PN:

Regards,
Kent

tjodork

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for feedback ..I will check the model (it had HRM215 and then a metal plate riveted on with EL stamped into it) must be more and I will get the SN.

Also, I failed to mention that the person that I bought mower from said he just had the blade clutch replaced....could he have used a thicker clutch ?

Regarding your procedure with dowel or crayon, if you have the mower on the ground, how did you get your hand underneath to scribe the dowel at blade height ?

Regarding wrong blade, I will look and see if there is something that I can see.... is there any chance that the one with the clutch has a blade that mounts to mower but then is not straight but instead had a bend in it to bring it back up inside the mower more (like 2 90 degree bends on each side ?)

Thanks again.
Tim

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
Thanks for feedback ..I will check the model (it had HRM215 and then a metal plate riveted on with EL stamped into it) must be more and I will get the SN.

Also, I failed to mention that the person that I bought mower from said he just had the blade clutch replaced....could he have used a thicker clutch ?

Regarding your procedure with dowel or crayon, if you have the mower on the ground, how did you get your hand underneath to scribe the dowel at blade height ?

Regarding wrong blade, I will look and see if there is something that I can see.... is there any chance that the one with the clutch has a blade that mounts to mower but then is not straight but instead had a bend in it to bring it back up inside the mower more (like 2 90 degree bends on each side ?)

Thanks again.
Tim

Tim:

The full serial number will be in the format MXXX-1234567.

Of course any non-correct parts could throw off the blade height, but I doubt the clutch bits would have made any 15mm difference.

Raise the deck all the way to 3-1/2, and you should have enough room to hold a dowel between your fingers and have it "cut" into the blade edge/tip. It theory, the mark should be about 3-1/2 from the base of the dowel.

Does your HRM have a single or dual blades? It is possible one or both are bent/damaged. This can be tested by measuring one tip, then rotate 180 degrees. If the measurement are not identical, all all other items (adjusters,tires, etc. are okay) then the blade or bolts/holder are bent/damaged.

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads

Thanks again.
Tim
Build yourself one of these and by tipping the vertical portion under the deck and using the horizontal portion as a handle and on the ground your hand doesn't need be under the deck. Works best with dull blade. Feather light touch with razor sharp blade.

Parts List:
2 pieces of pine
2 nails in pre drilled holes
12 drops of elmers
1 strip of your drink cup - empty
2 stick ups or 2 narrow strips of duck tape

Pencil line through first indicating mark identifies it

My blades were dull - shame on me

Attachments

• deck level gauge 2015.jpg
    deck level gauge 2015.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 35

tjodork

Forum Newbie
Threads
cool pic.. I will measure when I get home tonight

tjodork

Forum Newbie
Threads
The mower had a SXA on it..so it is a HRM215-SXA
I used suggestions for measuring and came up with
mower w clutch - SXA front(85mm) back(88mm)
mower wo clutch - SDA front(97mm) back(97mm)

Here are a few pictures of the 2 mowers
DSC05854.jpg
HRM215-SXA.jpg
HRM215-SDA.jpg
HRM215-SXA-bottom.jpg
HRM215-SDA-bottom.jpg

tjodork

Forum Newbie
Threads
so, based on the measurements I took ...does something seem assembled wrong ?
Also is the blade for the mower w/ clutch the same as the mower w/o clutch ?

Also do the mulching blade set look right ?

Arg, I also found out that the mulching plug was not included...figured that out when I went to take measurements : (

Thanks
Tim

tjodork

Forum Newbie
Threads
Well, I took it to Northern Hydraulics (the only seller of Honda mowers) in town and the service guy looked at mower and said everything was correct..and that the one with the clutch just cuts lower.
I think Honda should have accounted for it but they didn't...... case closed