Blade replacement

jerryoneill

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have 2007 turf tiger 72. I mow about 10 acres of rough terrain and the blades need sharpening or replacement
frequently. I am over 70 and wonder if there is an easy way to remove blades without dealer involvement?
Jerry

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hi jerry,
I know the feeling, I'll be 70 soon!!!
The Blade bolts come up from the bottom with the nut on the top. The bolts are 9 1/2" long and the machine needs to be raised up in the front to allow the bolts to drop down and out of the spindles when the nut is unscrewed. I use an air impact wrench to undo the nuts after I jack up the front. With a 72" deck, a blade replacement on your machine will be a two person job. The blade nuts are torqued to 75FTLBs and you will need a torque wrench and other tools to do the job. With all this in mind, you may want to consider having a dealer or a mechanically skilled friend do the job for you.
Mad Mackie in CT:laughing::biggrin::smile:

Steve0853

Threads
jerry, my son and I run a 60" TT and a 52" V-Ride and take care of about 25 yards as a side business.

We try to freshen the blades about every 20-30 hours. Time spent putting on fresh blades is never wasted.

What I do is use a pair of the cheapo ramps. However, they won't give you enough clearance unless you put a 4" cinder block under them.

Mackie has a nice mower lift. I really covet one of those.

I place the cinder blocks under the front of the ramps and pull the front wheels of the mower up on the ramps and set the parking brake. Like Mackie, I use an air wrench to loosen the bolts from the top and let them drop out the bottom. Assemble in reverse order. Like Mackie said, for the 72" deck, you may need a helper to start the tap on the bolts.

Unlike Mackie, I apply anti-seize compound about every third time. It makes a world of difference when you attempt to remove them next time. Also unlike Mackie, I don't worry about torqueing the bolts. The first time you mow over some thick grass, they are going to auto-torque to 100+ foot-pounds anyway.

I can't imagine regularly doing this job without access to a good air wrench. However I have heard some good things about the electric impact wrenches. That might be an option for you.

Good luck if you attempt to do your own sharpening or blade changing. I know it would save you a lot of money.

P.S. I need to add that Mackie knows about 10 times more than I do about Scag lawn mowers.

tnp

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a 61" Cheetah and just sharpened the blades. had a terrible time trying to remove the nuts. Center one was no problem as you can lift the floor panel for access, the issue was the other two. My impact would not fit onto the nut due to the fact that the gas tank was in the way. Do you have the same issue and whats the trick to get around it?

TNP

Bobby Boyd

Threads
I just replaced my blades for the first time on my 61 inch turf tiger. I used Rhinoramps that I bought from northern tool. The ramps get my deck up high enough for the bolt and blade to fall completely onto the floor of my garden shed. I have an Ingersoll-rand cordless impact wrench 1/2 drive that I purchased just for this use. I was told when I bought the machine that changing the blades would require me to use an extension bar on my hand wrench to break the 15/16 inch bolts loose. Those bolts are at the top of the deck and are easy to get to for loosening. I did not like that so bought the cordless impact wrench, the best I could find. It's 20v 1/2 inch drive W7150. Anyway, ever since I have owned my turf tiger which is about 2 years now I have been putting a drop or two of 3 in 1 oil on the 15/16 inch nuts from time to time. About 3 days ago when I went to remove my blades it was a snap. Easy!!!. The light oil really helped. I put Oregon mulching blades back on because leaves will start falling soon and I will be adding my mulching plate and get ready for the fall leaves that will litter my yard. The only issue I had in changing blades was in putting the center blade back on. It was a stretch for me to run the bolt up through the opening and try and put the nut on at the same time. A helper would be nice but I don't have that luxury. I also have the blade buddy which is really nice. The manual calls for torquing to 75 foot pounds which I did not do. I just put the impact wrench on and let it tighten a bit. I figure it is going to tighten even more as I mow. Mackie is right however. The manual does say to tighten to 75 foot pounds and that would be the correct way to do it. I have a 250 pound sears torque wrench (purchased back in the 1970's) but too lazy to get it out. Maybe next time. It's for tractor use. Anyway this was my first experience. Hope this helps someone.

jerryoneill

Forum Newbie
Threads
I just replaced my blades for the first time on my 61 inch turf tiger. I used Rhinoramps that I bought from northern tool. The ramps get my deck up high enough for the bolt and blade to fall completely onto the floor of my garden shed. I have an Ingersoll-rand cordless impact wrench 1/2 drive that I purchased just for this use. I was told when I bought the machine that changing the blades would require me to use an extension bar on my hand wrench to break the 15/16 inch bolts loose. Those bolts are at the top of the deck and are easy to get to for loosening. I did not like that so bought the cordless impact wrench, the best I could find. It's 20v 1/2 inch drive W7150. Anyway, ever since I have owned my turf tiger which is about 2 years now I have been putting a drop or two of 3 in 1 oil on the 15/16 inch nuts from time to time. About 3 days ago when I went to remove my blades it was a snap. Easy!!!. The light oil really helped. I put Oregon mulching blades back on because leaves will start falling soon and I will be adding my mulching plate and get ready for the fall leaves that will litter my yard. The only issue I had in changing blades was in putting the center blade back on. It was a stretch for me to run the bolt up through the opening and try and put the nut on at the same time. A helper would be nice but I don't have that luxury. I also have the blade buddy which is really nice. The manual calls for torquing to 75 foot pounds which I did not do. I just put the impact wrench on and let it tighten a bit. I figure it is going to tighten even more as I mow. Mackie is right however. The manual does say to tighten to 75 foot pounds and that would be the correct way to do it. I have a 250 pound sears torque wrench (purchased back in the 1970's) but too lazy to get it out. Maybe next time. It's for tractor use. Anyway this was my first experience. Hope this helps someone.

Thanks for your response. The problem I have, is holding the head of the bolt from underneath while turning the nut.
Any suggestions?
Jerry

drew7811

Threads

Thanks for your response. The problem I have, is holding the head of the bolt from underneath while turning the nut.
Any suggestions?
Jerry

When I remove the blades, I put a breaker bar and socket on the nut and pin it against the frame/chain holding the deck (I wrap a rag around it so it doesn't scratch the paint). Then I take a socket and lay on the ground and remove the bolt from underneath. Works like a charm.

jerryoneill

Forum Newbie
Threads
When I remove the blades, I put a breaker bar and socket on the nut and pin it against the frame/chain holding the deck (I wrap a rag around it so it doesn't scratch the paint). Then I take a socket and lay on the ground and remove the bolt from underneath. Works like a charm.

Thanks again for your help.
Jerry

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
Several years ago I modified a 15/16" combination wrench for a customer by cutting off the open end and sliding on a piece of pipe and welding it to the wrench. This way he can hold the bolt head with this tool and with a breaker bar and socket break the nut loose. He puts a tie wrap around the blade and tool to hold it on the bolt head. He slides the tie wrap back off the blade and slides it back in place to hold the bolt in place on the next blade. I did eventually weld a small strap across the box of the wrench so it will hold the bolt up when installing blades. At his request and my suggestion, I bought him a torque wrench and a 15/16" socket for correctly tightening the blade nuts to 75 FTLBs. Where his machine is stored and operated he has no electricity for an air compressor.
Mad Mackie in CT:laughing::biggrin::smile:

Last edited: