Blade disintegrates ,injures daughter

As a kid, I can still remember my Dad telling me of his friend push mowing the friends yard & hit a screwdriver left in the deep grass, threw it out hitting the guy in his ankle & broke his ankle.

Safety First. NO kids or the wife in the yard when I mow.
 
Journalism being what it is today and not all the journalists' fault I hope drawback is to shield the family from the ravenous public. The picture of the person in bed with head almost totally covered in bandages looked real. Ironic I was touched enough to wonder about "go-fun-me" for a family facing ?$100K in hospital bills. But that too seems dicey.

Wandering thru WalMart and the big box stores I do see some thin and cheesy-looking blades. The two units I own have great .200" thick blades of alloy steel which seem resistant to work hardening, and grain weakening, but even they could come apart under the right circumstances such as stress riser "notching" while grinding ,and later hitting an object. And (sorry) the Chinese "tools" are so often just cloned it is frightening. Take a cutting edge in the store and scratch it-most times with just a pen knife-mild steel!

Over to hand held week whackers. Once on a gravel driveway I was cutting some thin grass shoots and the .090" string picked up a piece of gravel and threw it through my rear Audi window. These things can be lethal slingshots.
 
Agree 100% :thumbsup: or nobody else. When I mow next to the road I stop the mower when a car is coming or someone is walking by.
X 2 Agree 100%

Journalism being what it is today and not all the journalists' fault I hope drawback is to shield the family from the ravenous public. The picture of the person in bed with head almost totally covered in bandages looked real. Ironic I was touched enough to wonder about "go-fun-me" for a family facing ?$100K in hospital bills. But that too seems dicey.

Wandering thru WalMart and the big box stores I do see some thin and cheesy-looking blades. The two units I own have great .200" thick blades of alloy steel which seem resistant to work hardening, and grain weakening, but even they could come apart under the right circumstances such as stress riser "notching" while grinding ,and later hitting an object. And (sorry) the Chinese "tools" are so often just cloned it is frightening. Take a cutting edge in the store and scratch it-most times with just a pen knife-mild steel!

Over to hand held week whackers. Once on a gravel driveway I was cutting some thin grass shoots and the .090" string picked up a piece of gravel and threw it through my rear Audi window. These things can be lethal slingshots.

Yes they can be very dangerous as well.
 
I've had a few cases over the years where customers didn't understand that they need to wholly surrender their yard to me while I am mowing.

I've never had a blade entirety fail but I have had pieces of the air foil on hgh lift blades break off when they get worn. I've also had blades start to bend upwards over time.

I've send way more things flying with string trimmers than mowers, so don't under estimate the power of them to send projectiles.
 
Back
Top