Blade disintegrates ,injures daughter

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Just read a harrowing report , yahoo, (can we believe some of it?). Mower strikes tool left in yard, breaks blade which hits 10 year old daughter in head. She undergoes surgery , midwest. What a trooper!! You can find the details if interested on line.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Well there is a reason why there are 45 pages of safety rules at the beginning of every owners manual.
just because one mows every week does not mean it is not dangerous to bystanders.

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
God love that little one and grant her speedy recovery. May her spartan outlook last forever!

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
This right here is the very reason when I mow no one is near my mower or the blade is turned off from spinning and any body so close they want to talk to me the engine is turned off. As it looks to me the child was just standing in the yard which should of been a no in my world. I just don't understand why some people want the children to ride on the mower with them when mowing. At one point in time I put a dent in a car parked in my driveway so accidents can happen no matter how careful.

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Pacific coast yahoo spread has dropped the article already. Like I said opening...if we can believe this report , speedy recovery to the little girl. If it is "fake news" shame on yahoo. Much of the yahoo "headlines" is trash. If bogus they have really reached a new low on this report.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Even if bogus , if it makes idiots stop & have a think, then it has done some good.
As for blades coming apart. another reason why I do not touch World Lawn products is I came across a blade that suffered a brittle fracture right through the mounting hole.
On the way out it took both of the other blades with it and one ended up better than 30' away in the side of a truck body.
All 3 had suffered a brittle fracture which looked suspect to me so I dropped it of to an old collegue to test.
It was as I suspected , plain high carbon steel, the stuff they make cheap taps & dies out of because it is hard & holds a good edge.
Unfortunately it is also brittle.
Mower blades are generally made from Boron steel and nitrided to make them tough so they bend rather than break.

jekjr

Lawn Addict
Threads
Back probably 25 years ago my son was cutting grass with a rear engine rider in fairly tall grass. He ran over what looked like a pork chop bone that was in the yard and it flew out from under the mower and hit me in the head hard enough that it drew blood. It hit right above the bib of a ball cap where the foam is. it hit hard enough that it cut through the cap and the foam. I was a long ways across the yard from where he was cutting. I have no doubt that something like that could kill a person if it hit them in the head.

I have seen many ricks come from under the front of a Scag rising like a golf ball that wa hit with a driver.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Mower blades are generally made from Boron steel and nitrided to make them tough so they bend rather than break.

Don't know the what mower blades are make of and never looked into it. I tried to bend one in my shop press and couldn't do it because it would just go back it its original shape like it was made of some kind of spring steel ??? As a fact I have never seen one break. I find the mower is most likely throw something out the shoot like a stone or my 15 dollar ear muffs in which I left laying under the mower when I got done fixing it. I think motoman has a very good point here as fake news.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Don't know the what mower blades are make of and never looked into it. I tried to bend one in my shop press and couldn't do it because it would just go back it its original shape like it was made of some kind of spring steel ??? As a fact I have never seen one break. I find the mower is most likely throw something out the shoot like a stone or my 15 dollar ear muffs in which I left laying under the mower when I got done fixing it. I think motoman has a very good point here as fake news.

Oddly enough when I brought this to the attention of the relevant government department the reply was "no standards concerning the steel used on ride on mower blades "
Oddly enough, there are a heap of them covering push mower blades.

And yes Boron steel is both springy so it holds complex shapes and work hardening so it holds an edge.
So you can not bend it back into shape because it is hot forged so needs heat to return it to the proper shape.