Best upper end residential zero turn

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
was wondering if Scaggs, Spartons, Bad Boys, Snapper Pro are better quality
Not necessarily. You have to look at all of them. I will tell you that the Gravely, Ariens, Hustler, and Big Dog are pretty beefy. The Scags are nice mowers but, you need to look at them and compare the frame build to the others. John Deere Z720E in 48” is another choice. Spartan RZ series. Bobcat ZT2000

RayMcD

Threads
Looking to buy my son a house warming gift. 1.5 acres slight hills...

best bang for the buck zero turn.
I missed my chance, I'd go look at a Country Clipper with Joy stick control and pop up deck..

hlw49

Lawn Addict
Threads
Big Dog has a 7 year limited warranty 300 hrs. I know someone is going to say Hustler has a 300 hr warranty as well but it is for 3 years. Big Dogs covers the parts only years 4-7. after 3 years with Hustler you have nothing. As long as you don't go over 300 hours. I think the Big Dog has better pricing as well. Check it out a really good mower.

Last edited:

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Kubota gas & diesel are worth taking a look at.

churchill

Forum Newbie
Threads
Love my Gravely ZT-HD48 for my 1 acre that I bought 3 years ago and have only changed the oil and sharpened the blades.

bkeller500

Threads
I just went thru this process and there is no clear winner. They ALL have their benefits and disappointments. Budget determines a lot. I would stay away from the entry level models. I have 1.3 acres with some hills. I looked hard at Ferris, ExMark, John Deere, Toro, Scag and Kubota. Most of the ones I felt would work for me were in the $5K range. Of those most were pretty comparable......similar deck size, similar seats, similar motors. Every salesman was confident their units were the best and would outlast my needs. I finally ended up with a Simplicity Courier XT.........the XT is a upgrade from the Courier models. It is a blend of Ferris & Simplicity technology. ( Ferris & simplicity are owned by Briggs& Stratton). They all claim to have the best cut and most of them claim to stripe very well. I'm sure any of those brands would work for me but I chose the Simplicity Courier XT because it also had the comfort ride suspension springs dand a full width rear deck roller for the striping. Go sit on a few of them and take a test ride if you can. Look at how the deck is mounted and supported and how it is leveled. Look at the hydro's and see if they are serviceable ( can you change the fluid). I doubt the motor brand makes much difference on any of them as they all have similar performance in the 20-25hp range. EFI is a nice option. For residential use of 50-100 hours per year, I doubt you will wear it out if you do normal maintenance and don't overload it. I can pull my tow sprayer, aerator, cart, de-thatcher and spreader just fine. I'm sure the others can too. None of them were promoted as great mulching machines.......yes they will mulch....but mulching brings up a lot more issues such as cleaning the underside of the clogged deck, mulching blades brand, wet grass, tall grass, short cutting and double cutting. And keep in mind ....you don't have to mow at 10mph........slow down and let the blades do their thing and enjoy the results. Goo luck!

KiltedOne

Forum Newbie
Threads

I have a 2021 Bad Boy Maverick with several extras (powered bagger, rops mounted lighting, electric deck lift) and love it. 54 inch cutting deck and I mow 1.15 acres in about an hour and a half to include time emptying the baggers. The Maverick has serviceable transmissions and I opted for the Kawasaki engine on mine. Very well built

BTBO

Threads

I have a Scag Liberty Z 48" with the Kawasaki engine. Scag incorporates several of their commercial mower features into the Liberty Z line of residential mowers. I have had not nor do I foresee having buyers remorse. Another plus for the Scag is the warranty-----5 years or 750 hours.