Best mower fuel filter and why

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Goes on everything with a fuel pump.
View attachment 65149
Personally I don't like the looks of those Stens filters as the elements looks shoved in or crumpled. Kinda looks some of the UPS packages I get where it looks the driver stepped on the package. Really don't know if he filter element is torn or not on those. Probably will switch to another filter.

Last edited:

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Red pancake filter on gravity fed tanks, Chinese see through paper filter on fuel pump. Cost around $1.00 and sell for $5.00. More important than cost is having in stock, changing regularly, and durability. Also install red fuel shut off valve on as much equipment as possible, and educate customer on how to use.
And I have used the paper filters on gravity systems here. I personally have one on my mower for several years until I swap out the engine to a larger one that came with a fuel pump. What matters is micron filtering level. You can get by with 25 micron on gravity systems but you do need something around 10-15 microns when fuel pumps are involved. Just provides cleaner fuel to carburetor.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
They say made in Israel. I have had new mowers including JD where I am the first to change the OEM filter and they say made in Israel on them. I have put over a hundred of them on mowers with no problems. These have the barb on the 1/4" end. Holds fuel line way better than the smooth barbless ones.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
They say made in Israel. I have had new mowers including JD where I am the first to change the OEM filter and they say made in Israel on them. I have put over a hundred of them on mowers with no problems. These have the barb on the 1/4" end. Holds fuel line way better than the smooth barbless ones.
Now those barbless ones were sent to me years ago and were a total failure as the fuel lines would not stay on the straight fittings.

And I know the Stens filter says "Made in Israel" but still poorly done. I was used to ones from Sunbelt (A&I). Even the paper looks different.

And barbed are for both 1/4 and 5/16 lines.

Sometime you just have to pay a little more for a better constructed filter.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Provided they are sourced through a reputable wholesaler they should be fine.
Just like spark plugs 100% of them get pressure & flow tested as they come off the production line
Usually with very finely filtered air
So I doubt that any of the Stens, Rotary, Prime Line or Oregon ones would be bad .
But again they are just filters and mowers got on fine for decades without them .
I rarely see a carb full of crud that the filter should have removed and now that most tanks are plastic there is no fine rust to collect

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Boy I wish that was the case here. But stupid operators will use open containers that has grass clippings, insects, dirt, and other items in them; plus with ethanol fuels, water. Just recently cleaned a ZTR grass catcher engine's carburetor that was full of grass. A 10-25 micron filter can stop water at times.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Gravity feed?
Carbureted with fuel pump?
EFI with fuel pump?
The Kohler 24 050 13-S1 is my choice for carbureted with pulse pump engines.
Either gravity or a pump doesn't matter. Carbs for sure. Not many EFI mowers out there. Yes there are some but not near the numbers of carbed ones.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
I use the WHITE briggs pancake filter on gravity feed engines and a Wix 33011 on pump feed.
Look inside the next white Briggs pancake. I know the red ones are just like window screen. Are the white ones the same?

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
I know the small cellulose clear jobs are okay on a push mower gravity job. Red Briggs are a joke. Think I'm going to try the phospho bronze jobs next.

I've seen a couple carb bowls with a lot of trash almost like there was no filter installed. Those clear paper jobs probably from the mainland??

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
Look inside the next white Briggs pancake. I know the red ones are just like window screen. Are the white ones the same?
The red pancake is 150 micron for gravity feed.
The white pancake is 75 microns and listed for fuel pumps. Grain of salt.
Most residential push mowers don’t even come with a fuel filter.
The Briggs cylinder type is 40 microns. For fuel pump. There is a similar Briggs filter with a 7-11 micron rating.
The Kohler I listed above is 9-12 microns with extra capacity. Use with fuel pumps and Kohler Command Pro EFI engines.

Last edited: