Best mower fuel filter and why

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
These are window screen media types. Might stop a number 2 pencil. Waste of money.
1686783376408.png
This style you can't verify the cartridge is sealed proper or not. On the fence about these.
1686783429994.png

These are supposed to be good. Never used one. What is the micron level on these?
1686783540780.png

Another I haven't used. Any good???
1686783601764.png

Attachments

• 1686783257660.png
    1686783257660.png
    407.9 KB · Views: 4

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
Gravity feed?
Carbureted with fuel pump?
EFI with fuel pump?
The Kohler 24 050 13-S1 is my choice for carbureted with pulse pump engines.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
I use the WHITE briggs pancake filter on gravity feed engines and a Wix 33011 on pump feed.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I use the red Briggs filter on gravity feed engines and the white Briggs filter on engines with a fuel pump. The red disc-type filters are 150 micron, and the white (or light grey) disc-type filters are 75 micron. Both of them have brass screens in them and are for gravity feed applications. The bigger cylindrical plastic filters with the paper element inside are 60 micron, and the bigger cylindrical metal filters are 10 micron. Both of these are used in fuel pump applications.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I use none of the above except on walk behinds where I use the pancake type because of space restrictions .
The sintered bronze filters are really good and can be backwashed I use them on my vintage motorcycles
I use metal cased ones on fire pump for obvious reason
Injected ones of course need a pressure tight filter if it is after the pressure pump so again a metal case job

All the rest get a 75µ long element filter that I buy directly from the factory in China in boxes of 200 because they cost 45¢ each delivered so I can sell them for $ 4.50 which is cheaper than any aftermarket filter the customer can buy thus I make a good mark up and they get a discount of $ 2.00 to $ 5.00 on the branded filter , win win win .
I have found these to work fine on just about everything .
The paper element types have 2 different constructions
On one the outlet is at the very end of the filter housing so these do not tend to get an airlock in them
The others have an outlet tube that protrudes inside the paper element so they will be subject to air locking unless fitted outlet side down

As Rivets already mentioned, there is no BEST just the right one or the job at hand
And like oil filter there will be a lot of opinion by a lot of people who have never thought it through
In reality the filter must have a flow rate higher than the carburettor, have a mesh size smaller than the main jet and hopefully smaller than the smallest particle that will cause the needle valve to fail
So almost any will do

Tiger Small Engine

Threads
Goes on everything with a fuel pump.
View attachment 65149
Red pancake filter on gravity fed tanks, Chinese see through paper filter on fuel pump. Cost around $1.00 and sell for $5.00. More important than cost is having in stock, changing regularly, and durability. Also install red fuel shut off valve on as much equipment as possible, and educate customer on how to use.