Battery-powered mower advice -- looking to buy a new one.

Monte1076

Threads
  • / Battery-powered mower advice -- looking to buy a new one.
How big is your yard? I mow around 9,500 square feet and my Ego does fine. I know you're not thrilled with the price tag, but they do make a good push mower. Maybe pick one up used, or on a Black Friday sale?

Mine is actually up for sale since I bought the Ego Z6 riding mower, but I doubt you'll want the hassle of shipping a push mower.
Not even really a quarter acre. And that's including my house, driveway, sidewalk, and walkway.

sevenhelmet

Forum Newbie
Threads
Not even really a quarter acre. And that's including my house, driveway, sidewalk, and walkway.
Sounds like an Ego walk behind is perfect for you. They fold up for easy storage too- no worries about hanging it on the wall with no gas to leak out.

Monte1076

Threads
Sounds like an Ego walk behind is perfect for you. They fold up for easy storage too- no worries about hanging it on the wall with no gas to leak out.
That may be the one. If it'll tear through the thick, overgrown weeds in my yard, like I've seen in some videos, that might be the one for me.

oldlawnguy

Threads
Maybe another option, not sure how suitable for you-- how about treating those weeds with a herbicide option then you can be all good again with with your current battery pack mower? Maybe point out to the Mrs. that you are storing gas in the garage if you have car(s) parked in it. :)

Battery pack powered stuff takes a page from the old razor blade/razor industry and printer/printer ink industries.

Joed756

Threads
Use what you like and are comfortable with. I get it. Just saying they are a never ending expense compared to gas.

Far as the environment goes, most likely not better. Coal is filthy for the air and nuclear is even worse. It's all good!
Are they more expensive? I wonder how many tanks of gas you use while a battery remains in service. Charging is likely no costlier than regular oil changes.

Pracher G

Forum Newbie
Threads
My experience with BATTERY powered yard tools is they lack power for ANY tough job. I have a battery push mower I never use because it has problems with normal length grass. It is useless in moderately high grass.
I also have a corded 120V push mower which has reasonable power and can handle taller grass. That would be my suggestion to get the power you need and avoid the gas.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
part of it is that my wife doesn't like the idea of storing gasoline in the garage.
Do you park any cars in the garage? Most have gas in the tanks.

AdamE

Threads
Use what you like and are comfortable with. I get it. Just saying they are a never ending expense compared to gas.

Far as the environment goes, most likely not better. Coal is filthy for the air and nuclear is even worse. It's all good!
Just curious, but why is nuclear even worse than coal? A lot of folks are coming around to nuclear energy. I've always been a fan.

Here's a very interesting video:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Are they more expensive? I wonder how many tanks of gas you use while a battery remains in service. Charging is likely no costlier than regular oil changes.
Joe,
That is the $ 65,000 question that no one will give an honest or strait answer to .
Every one selectively quotes statistics to enhance their position so basically every one lies.
What you have to get your head around is ENERGY is FOREVER and all energy ultimately has come from the destruction of matter.
Thus ultimately , apart from bombs & nuclear power, all the rest of the energy we consume has it's origins in our sun .
From then on all we do is convert it from one form to another and every time we convert it heat is a waste product .
And HEAT is the big problem that has finally come home to roost because from the dawn of time heat was simply dumped into the atmosphere or water .
And because the volume of heat was small and the volume of the atmosphere & oceans was vast the tiny incrimental increases were not noticed and not a problem
Every thing you do converts some form of energy to heat and that heat has to eventually b radiated into outer space from the atmosphere or the atmosphere gets hotter.
And the problem is the heat, not the CO2 , although the CO2 reduces the speed that the atmosphere can raadiate the heat you converted into space .
As for battery power , it is filthy if you take your starting point the mines that extract the raw materials that go into making the batteries right through to the disposal of the dead batteries
Petrol is actually less polluting overall even more so if the mower is manufactured from reclaimed materials .
As for energy conversion to electricity because we don't actually produce energy we just convert chemical , gravitational , wind , solar or mechanical energy to electricity every single one of the process generates pollution and in most cases, that which has a small pollution quotent at the generation stage has a massive pollution quotent at the manufacturing stage and visa versa.
Atomic energy produced the second lowest amount of pollution per Kw of electricity used , but when you look at the steels & concrete used to make a power station, it has to generate a lot of power for a long time to get to the break even point.
The other problem with atomic energy is it convert matter into heat so actually generates more heat both directly at the power station and at the consumption end when all that electricity heat or houses or drives our computers.
Hydro is the least polluting pre Kw produced but then you have the environmental damage from the building of dams and the problems at the water discharge end.
Waterwheels are probably the best for the environment , particularly if they are made of wood .

Any one who thinks they are environmental heros for using battery powered anything are deluding themselves .
If you want to be environmentally benign then use a corded mower or a sythe .

The biggest problem is people are lazy and thus stupid so we jump on a popular band waggon without any thought of the consequences.
So right now it is LESS CO2 so ask anybody and they will happily tell you once we get to zero CO2 emissions it will be back to life as we used to , but it won't because CO2 is only a tiny part of the problem that the media & politicans have become fixated with .