Battery-powered mower advice -- looking to buy a new one.

Monte1076

Threads
  • / Battery-powered mower advice -- looking to buy a new one.
I'm currently in the market for a battery-powered mower. My yard is overrun with thick weeds, so I need something that will get the job done there.

I currently have a reel mower, but that doesn't work well on taller weeds, and I have a Black & Decker CM1200 that just isn't cutting it anymore.

Consumer Reports rates the EGO LM2156SP very highly (84 out of 100), but it's rather pricey. A friend of mine recommended a Makita, but I can't really find any reviews on it. I've heard good things about Greenworks mowers, too.

I'd really like this to be a longer-lasting mower, especially one that will last long enough for me to get these weeds under control.

Does anyone have any guidance here? It's very appreciated!

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Just stating the obvious. Batteries will fail in 1-3 years. Not if but when. Very expensive to replace. Gas mowers will last many decades longer. Electricity is typically generated from nuclear, water or coal. Unless you have a huge solar grid in your backyard. To me, battery mowers offer nothing over a gas mower.

Monte1076

Threads
Just stating the obvious. Batteries will fail in 1-3 years. Not if but when. Very expensive to replace. Gas mowers will last many decades longer. Electricity is typically generated from nuclear, water or coal. Unless you have a huge solar grid in your backyard. To me, battery mowers offer nothing over a gas mower.
Sure. I get that gas mowers last longer. We've had a battery-powered mower since we moved into our house (I'm actually kinda surprised the mower has lasted this long). I'd get one, but electric seems better for the environment (at least until I get my weeds under control, then the reel mower), and my wife's not really comfortable with having gas stored in our garage. Otherwise, I'd be looking at gas. When I was growing up, we had a great Briggs & Stratton gas mower that worked really well.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Use what you like and are comfortable with. I get it. Just saying they are a never ending expense compared to gas.

Far as the environment goes, most likely not better. Coal is filthy for the air and nuclear is even worse. It's all good!

Monte1076

Threads
Use what you like and are comfortable with. I get it. Just saying they are a never ending expense compared to gas.

Far as the environment goes, most likely not better. Coal is filthy for the air and nuclear is even worse. It's all good!
Oh, I understand. I'm looking at it as (hopefully) a temporary solution until I get the weeds under control. Then I can go back to the reel mower that I have. But for now, I need something that can power through weeds, and what I'm currently using isn't working.

Monte1076

Threads
Why not get a lawn service to mow the yard short 1 time, then use reel mower?
That's a good question. I like mowing every week or week and a half. And unless I mow every couple of days, I think the weeds would probably grow too fast for that. It's a thought, but I'm not sure how well it would work, unless I wanted to mow every couple of days.

sevenhelmet

Forum Newbie
Threads
I've gotten a full season out of my Ego push mower with no problems. It has plenty of power for tall weeds. My only minor gripe with it is the front wheels aren't castering, so you have to push up the front end to turn. The batteries are warrantied for 5 years, and I plan to store mine inside at 50% charge for the winter, as recommended. The Ego batteries should last for a while- I have numerous lithium tool and OPE batteries in various brands; some are 10 years old and have been stored in my garage through all seasons, and they still work fine.

Regarding the environment, I'm not convinced electric mowers are better for the planet unless they last a really long time, since there's a lot of up-front manufacturing footprint. But the electrics are quieter, convenient to use, easy to maintain, and there are no fluids to spill or fumes to breathe. For my suburban half acre, electric OPE works well. When I buy 5-10 acres out of town, that'll likely be a different story for mowing, although a lot of my electric tools will still work fine.

Monte1076

Threads
I'm not really worried about castored front wheels. I'm worried about the price tag, and what can get the job done in my yard, that's a quality product that's going to last me several years. Those are the main things.

Maintenance is another, and the fact that honestly, part of it is that my wife doesn't like the idea of storing gasoline in the garage.

The mower I'm using now (A Black & Decker CM1200) can barely do my front yard, as far as power goes. And my back yard has even more weeds.

sevenhelmet

Forum Newbie
Threads
How big is your yard? I mow around 9,500 square feet and my Ego does fine. I know you're not thrilled with the price tag, but they do make a good push mower. Maybe pick one up used, or on a Black Friday sale?

Mine is actually up for sale since I bought the Ego Z6 riding mower, but I doubt you'll want the hassle of shipping a push mower.