Bar and chain selection

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
From what I have gather from PT is the operator is just have a cutting problem with it cutting in a curve which is a sharpening problem normally but can be a bar issue too. His client may not even need a replacement BNC; although, depending the chain condition might need a new chain and rim provided the IPL is correct about it having a rim drive system.

The bar is worn out. The chain has way too much wiggle. It's stamped on the bar 050. And a quarter will slide into it a tiny bit. Plus there's a tiny notch on most of the chain tips (one side only).

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
IT can be a johnsored bar, but still not be the bar it should have been supplied with
Our saw was a Stihl with a genuine Stihl bar, jus t 2" shorter and one gauge side smaller than the book says should be on there

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Threads
And you actually measure the Stihl bar it is actually short that what they claim or at that is how it is here. EX 18" Bar may only be 17".

sessman55

Threads
I haven't seen this saw yet.

My brother said he's got a Jonered CS58 (Note. He wasn't at his saw when he gave me the model number. But said he thinks that's the right one).

He was either sold the wrong blade or bar (or both). None the less, he says it won't cut at all. So I'm trying to figure out how to get the right bar & chain for it, as if he just handed me the saw with no bar or chain. Start from scratch, sort of speak.

He says the numbers on the original bar aren't visible.
The chain is on backwards

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
Take it to a dealer.
Why?
Dealer? Jonsered was gobbled up by Husqvarna.
There are at least two very knowledgeable people that have provided the correct bar and chain combination for the saw.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Threads
One final comment...

PT sit down and do you research...Otherwords you got some self training to do to educate yourself on bars and chains. It not something you can do overnight either it will take time absorb the info. But you probably have a few cobwebs of the mind to clear out to make room for the info too.:p There is times here that I got to fight my own cobwebs to retrieve things I got stored away from 20+ yrs ago. ;)

The Oregon catalog is a good source of info; although it is limited too as you must combine your resources. I had to learn about these on the fly myself as I repaired chainsaws but now it is easy to get the right setup quickly. Of the three catalogs I got here Oregon, Rotary, and Stens; the Oregon catalog is the best when it comes to chainsaw bars and chains.

As the old saying "Knowledge is Power" is true as long as you got good knowledge and not a lot misinformation. And the internet is full of misinformation. Got to stick with the trusted sources and take everything else with a grain of salt.

g-man57

Threads
Yup - my first thought too - chain on backward.

I've had a 2258 for nearly 10 years. My old saw was stolen from me. After a man's dog, his chainsaw is the worst thing in the world to steal.

Jonsered (now Husqvarna) made really good saws. I've owned three - that I remember. We used them at work - along with Stihl. 90cc saws. Heavy cutting and lots of it. I've run hundreds, probably over a thousand, of gallons of gas thru chainsaws. The Jonsereds seemed to have fewer issues than the Stihls. Don't get me wrong, Stihl makes a great saw - same with Husqvarna. I always bought Jonsered for ergonomic reasons. They just felt better in my hands. I'm too old now to be buying new saws - but if I did it would be a Hunsky. Probably in the 55cc range.

I do miss the old 'chipper' chains. I was never a fan of 'chisel' chains - they seemed to not keep an edge as long as the chippers. Chisels cut very well - but I like the smooth, vibration free, feel of chippers. I really don't like the anti-kickback chains. They're a pain in the butt to sharpen.

Last edited:

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
Why?
Dealer? Jonsered was gobbled up by Husqvarna.
There are at least two very knowledgeable people that have provided the correct bar and chain combination for the saw.

And I've got them written down. Had them written down the moment I seen the post. Just waiting until the one I ordered comes in to see how it's wrong? The numbers on the bar & chain I ordered matched the numbers on the bar. Up til this thread, I was just doing what I've seen online, and what people like Steve Small Engine Saloon stated. Match the DL, gauge and pitch. 99% of everything, other than this thread, says that's all you need to get the right parts.

I'd already ordered the bar & chain before Star and others advised me I'd gotten the wrong stuff. Since the saw has been cutting great, up until recently, I seen no need to believe the numbers on the bar was wrong.