Bar and chain selection

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
So you are assuming that the bar is in fact the original one and even then that the bar supplied with the saw is the one it was supposed to have
That is a very big ask
When we bought our chainsaw I got them to fit a smaller & lighter bar so SWMBO could use it
An 050 bar is a lot lighter than an 058 bar
I do not know what chains you have there but the 050 chain & the 058 chain is identical in every dimension apart from the thickness of the drive links.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Threads
So you are assuming that the bar is in fact the original one and even then that the bar supplied with the saw is the one it was supposed to have
That is a very big ask
When we bought our chainsaw I got them to fit a smaller & lighter bar so SWMBO could use it
I do not know what chains you have there but the 050 chain & the 058 chain is identical in every dimension apart from the thickness of the drive links.
That what I tried to get thru to PT. You never assume the customer has a matching setup. In this case there is a possibility that either it came setup with .325 or 3/8 pitch. Some aftermarket manuals don't cover both options especially the online ones.

Once you know the needed specs then finding a replacement BNC is easy. Lots of option including lightweight bars for standard chains and even the Pixel (Pica) is option when you them in the correct mount.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I have 1/8" wheels. Some of the new electric saws have teeth so small the 1/8" won't fit between the tooth and raker. Smaller than the stihl micro chisel.

Most of the cutting I do is cutting down and bucking big dead ash, hackberry and oaks for farmers around me. My brother in law heats with wood and his MS290 struggles in big wood. I have a hot rodded 660 clone and I drop and and buck it for him. Most stuff 24 to 36 inch diameter. Semi chisel is way slower than full chisel with a 25" bar buried in an old oak.
Sounds like the manufactures need to come up with a new stone for us to use. Something like a 3/32 or 1/16 it going to be fragile however. I am always breaking the die grinder 1/16 disks.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
I am about to the point where I just tell customers I don't work on electric stuff. They are dead simple to work on and diagnose but parts are a nightmare. Even when I find parts lists the parts are not available or they cost more than the tool cost new. On the bright side. The battery will die before the saw will need a new chain so one is all it will need.
Does PT know what pitch the drive sprocket is? I see lots of folks putting putting a 3/8 on a .325 or vice versa.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Threads
From what I have gather from PT is the operator is just have a cutting problem with it cutting in a curve which is a sharpening problem normally but can be a bar issue too. His client may not even need a replacement BNC; although, depending the chain condition might need a new chain and rim provided the IPL is correct about it having a rim drive system.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
I find most saws that cut crooked either have a chain poorly hand filed or the bar groove it worn out. Just about every saw that comes in the shop needs the bar dressed and the groove cleaned because the oil hole it blocked and the bar edges are blue.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I am about to the point where I just tell customers I don't work on electric stuff. They are dead simple to work on and diagnose but parts are a nightmare. Even when I find parts lists the parts are not available or they cost more than the tool cost new. On the bright side. The battery will die before the saw will need a new chain so one is all it will need.
Does PT know what pitch the drive sprocket is? I see lots of folks putting putting a 3/8 on a .325 or vice versa.
Found a simple solution to that one
"Sorry I am a mechanic not an electrician so I am not insured for repairing electric gear so I can not work on them "

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Now Bert you know that you get curly hair with you stick your finger in the light sockets.

Here we got lawnmower mechanics that are totally lost when comes to the electric wiring. I one shop just last week to tell he needed a complete wiring because of a bad fuse holder that costs was 3.65 for the customer. I think my cost on that Pack-con III fuse holder and terminals is under $1.60.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Now Bert you know that you get curly hair with you stick your finger in the light sockets.

Here we got lawnmower mechanics that are totally lost when comes to the electric wiring. I one shop just last week to tell he needed a complete wiring because of a bad fuse holder that costs was 3.65 for the customer. I think my cost on that Pack-con III fuse holder and terminals is under $1.60.
I just do not want to work on them
They are all made in some 3rd world hovel and parts will not be available even if they are repairable
Then we get to battery stuff and the thread a few days back about charging fires
I do not want to be sued because I fixed some junk pile then it blew up & burned down the idiots house
Every one understands the lack of insurance angle so it does not sound like I am fobbing them off.
Same story with generators I will fix a motor so it is running at the correct speeds .
If it don't make any zappies, take it to an electrician
While I can do it I don't want to
Seen way too many idiots running them in the rain on the back of an aluminium tray with no ground spikes
Then there is the problem of finding obsolete parts .
Got 5 of them here , all came in for a " up tune "
all got fresh oil, filters , plugs & valve lash adjusted.
All ran perfectly not a single one generated & all 5 owners said it was working perfectly when they brought them in
When th 3 years is up they go in the scrap bin after a little visit from mr BFH

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
That is a very big ask

My brother bought it new. And has done nothing but brag about it's performance. I remember seeing the saw a couple of years ago when you could still make out the Jonesered on the bar. So I have no doubt it's all original.