Bag, or no bag ?

Bag, or no bag ?

• Total voters

jmurray01

, , 1,000 Post Club
Threads
When you mow with your rotary lawn mower, do you have the bag attached to catch the clippings, or do you take it off and let them lay on the grass as fertiliser ?

Pete.S

Threads
I can use my mowers in either bagging or recycling mode. I prefer to recycle the clippings by using the mulch plug and a good grade, sharp mulching blade. Why waste the fertilizer and nutrients that the clippings are holding?

Black Bart

Threads
I prefer to use bagger the lawn looks much nicer and I don't have thatch like I did when I left the clippings lay.

Once I started bagging and putting on more fertilizer my lawn looks much better.

Parkmower

Threads
At home i bag if I think there will be alot of clippings left. Usually early spring or any other time it's growing like crazy. Usually in the hotter drier months I do not.

At work we don't have any baggers so no bagging but we mow like crazy when needed to keep up on it.
We do have a leaf truck set up. But that's a whole other story.

Sammy the Red

Threads
Let them fall where they may. Free fert and they do not cause thatch.

jenkinsph

Threads
I don't like to bag, think it is a waste of good nutrients so I use a mulch plug and mulch blades. I like to dethatch about twice a year and then run the mower over it afterwards. Keeps everything green with the right fertilizer.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
With today's mowers and the different mulching blades available there really is no need to bag. It's a common misconception or belief that leaving grass clippings on the lawn encourages thatch and it really doesn't, only when or If you let your grass grow too long and need to cut an inch or more off the lawn should you consider bagging or removing the clippings.
If your grass is cut on a weekly schedule with a good set of mulching blades you shouldn't ever need to bag, a good set of mulching blades will cut your grass 4 or 5 times before being discharged into very fine pieces and they're 80 to 85 percent water and will break down very quickly leaving nitrogen which is beneficial to the lawn.

Duffer72

Threads
No bagger, with over 2 acres to cut it takes long enough without having to stop and empty catcher.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
If you ever bag anything, it might be leaves or bean pods & other bulky things from trees...
But not grass clippings.... :smile:KennyV