Bad Boy mower blade length problem

mwilliam

Forum Newbie
Threads
I had purchased a used Bad Boy 60" deck mower from the original owner. I currently need to replace the blades and the blade number calls for 38-6060-00. I purchased some aftermarket blades for it and installed the blades but the blades hit. The blades measure 20 1/2" The original blades that are on it are from the factory stated by the previous owner and also stated he has never replaced them. The blades on it are 20". All the blades i have researched for a 60" deck says they should be 20 1/2. The cut with the original 20" blades seem to leave a stripe when cutting.
Has anyone found this problem? Thank you

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Where is the blade striking? Can you see marks under the deck? Is the configuration identical? Wings? Have you found a PN on the old blade? Just some thoughts

mwilliam

Forum Newbie
Threads
The blades are hitting the ends of two of the blades but does not hit the mower deck. The blades must be slipping but still should not hit each other i would not think. I ground down the ends of the blades a little on all ends to make them work and also ground the paint off around the bolt holes so they would not slip. I have tried to contact the place where i bought the blades but they have not contacted me back. I am just confused why all of the aftermarket blades say it should be 20 1/2 inch blades and would think a lot more people would have the same issue?:confused2:

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
mwilliam, Could there be a problem of retaining bolt od vs blade hole ID. So the blades are shifting (loose) under drive? Do the blades have a centering feature like a star or other index? When you measure is it at the center line of the bolt hole (as best you can)? If the blades turn but hit it sounds like the overlap must be small. Try measuring each blade from bolt center to tip and compare. If you have decent steel rule go to the smallest measure increment (?1/32"). Can you feel vibration or does the clatter silence everything. It is possible that the mfg blew it, especially if offshorel. What I'd do is measure from bolt hole od to tip and add bolt hole radius to get center. I assume that's how blade length would be measured, but I am not in the biz. :eek:

jross

Threads
The blades are hitting the ends of two of the blades but does not hit the mower deck. The blades must be slipping but still should not hit each other i would not think. I ground down the ends of the blades a little on all ends to make them work and also ground the paint off around the bolt holes so they would not slip. I have tried to contact the place where i bought the blades but they have not contacted me back. I am just confused why all of the aftermarket blades say it should be 20 1/2 inch blades and would think a lot more people would have the same issue?:confused2:

Find a manual for the mower which will tell you the designed blade length. The manual for our Cub Cadet 42 incher indicates the blade length is 21.23 inches, just a tad less than 21.25 inches. They do this so you will buy their blades at a premium price. I've had to grind some off the corners 21 1/4 inch baldes until I found that 21 1/4 5/8 star hole MTD blades will fit without grinding. It seems most blades are manufactured either by Stens or Oregon, and maybe others. TSC wants $65 for two Cub Cadet blades, but I just ordered 4 MTD blades for $38 including shipping from Pat's Small Engines. Go to their website and search your mower and you'll know what the exact size should be. Then go to say the MTD section and compare the sizes.

mowjoe52

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have an 06 bad boy 60 inch deck. I use the same blades as the Dixie Choper 60 inch
with no problems. Oregon makes Dixie's blades and you can get them in a 10 pak.