Bad Battery?

Jefe

Threads
Voltage drops from ~13 to 6 when I turn the key to start the Toro Recycler lawnmower. Sounds like it is just barely turning over. Pull-starts fine.

Is this a bad battery? It's a few years old.

(Sorry for cross-post mods.)

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Jefe...
have you checked all your battery cable connections, are you measuring this large voltage drop on the battery? If so try to give it a full charge, check the water level first, If this is a serviceable battery...
You can't expect much more than 2 to 3 years from the typical lawn mower battery, so there may be a new battery in your near future...
:smile:KennyV

Jefe

Threads
Jefe...
have you checked all your battery cable connections, are you measuring this large voltage drop on the battery? If so try to give it a full charge, check the water level first, If this is a serviceable battery...
You can't expect much more than 2 to 3 years from the typical lawn mower battery, so there may be a new battery in your near future...

Thanks Kenny. Yes, connections are all good as evidenced by the weak attempts of the engine to turn over. I measured it at charging plug and also at the battery terminals. It is not a serviceable battery.

Can you confirm whether that an excessive voltage drop?

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Can you confirm whether that an excessive voltage drop?

Way too much of a drop... 6 volts is not going to do it.. Were you able to put a charger on it?

twall

Lawn Addict
Threads
Going from 13 to 6, sounds like a bad plate or two, and you just aren't getting the amps......which would mean a bad battery. The initial charge of 13 sounds good, doesn't it, Kenny?

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Going from 13 to 6, sounds like a bad plate or two, and you just aren't getting the amps......which would mean a bad battery. The initial charge of 13 sounds good, doesn't it, Kenny?

Yes... like I was saying ... there may be a new battery in your near future... :smile:KennyV

blackie65

Forum Newbie
Threads
batteries seem to me to be something you just need to replace every couple years. I Haven't done it yet but have considered putting a battery tender on in the off season. This might get more than 2-3 yrs out of a battery

Jefe

Threads
Way too much of a drop... 6 volts is not going to do it.. Were you able to put a charger on it?

Yes. The battery was stored for the winter and I had re-installed it and charged it overnight prior to trying to start the mower with it.

jeff

Threads
When the battery drops volts as you discribe, the battery is usually the problem.

kalaukia37

Forum Newbie
Threads
:wink::biggrin::smile::confused2:
Yes. The battery was stored for the winter and I had re-installed it and charged it overnight prior to trying to start the mower with it.
Well ALOHA FROM HAWAII! MY NAME IS KALAUKIA37. I AM A NEW MEMBER AS OF TWO DAYS AGO. I LIVE ON OAHU IN HAWAII. I HAVE A J.D. 42 115 AUTOMATIC, 2006 YEAR. I HAVE FOUND OUT THAT IF YOU BUY AN INTERSTATE BATTERY WITH THE HIGHEST AMPS POSSIBLE, AND THAT YOU KEEP IT ON A VERY SMALL TRINCLE CHARGER THAT CANBE BOUGHT FROM NAPA FOR ABOUT $39.00, IT WILL PAY FOR ITS SELF FOREVER. IT WILL KEEP YOUR BATTERY FULLY CHARGED FOREVER. YOUR BATTERY B
UYING DAYS ARE OVER.

YOU MAY ALSO USE IT IN YOUR CARS, BOATS, SNOWMACHINES, ANYTHING. IT WILL PAY FOR ITS SELF IN ONE SEASON.

HERE IN HAWAII WE DONOT PUT OUR EQUIPTMENT IN STORAGE, WE USE THEM ALL YEAR LONG.
WELL MAY YOU USE THIS INFO. IN GOOD HEALTH AND GOD BLRSS YOU ALL!