B&S 11hp engine question

:smile: Even changing the MN: to 252417, did not show up on my list. Trying setting the air gap on the magtron to .012.

Funny, cause looking on flea bay, with the 252417 briggs and stratton, gets lots of responses. No engines, but lots of parts for them, so someone knew the number.

Now that it's running, my neighbor came by and commented about the knocking noise it makes at idle. He thinks it's in the rod knocking. The knocking stops as RPM's go up. I thought if a rod was knocking it would get worse at higher RPM's, no?

Also it seems to have started some spitting and popping back out the carb on occasion.

Ideas?
 
:smile: Seeing how that engine is a 79, it probably has alot of hrs on it. If its rod knock, should get louder as the r's go up. But it could be piston slap, valve train noise, it could also be carbon knock. If it were me, I pull the head and see if there is any movement in the piston, either up and down or sideways. An with the head off, you can also de-carbon the head. valves and piston. The spitting, could be timing or a valve hanging up, usually the exhaust vavle.
 
Ok maybe I will give that a look see. Especially since replacement Briggs engines are an absurd $900+. Lookin real serious at the chinese harbor freight engines for $350 for a 14hp.

Hopefully I won't need either.
 
If you have the head off,, a good way to see if your con rod has play/wear is to rotate the crank until the piston is 1/2 way up in the cylinder then rotate the crank "just a little" back and forth. If the crank moves "without" the piston moving, "that" will show you how much play you have.
 
I might pull the head off to have a look see. I don't have a head gasket, so that might be an issue. I spoke with the owner today and we have come to a consensus of just running it till it quits, so I won't worry about replacing it, yet!

I will see if I have a left over gasket from my 20HP Briggs flat twin. Prob a very similar gasket.
 
Small update on this thing. I spoke with the guy at Power Tec, in Benton Harbor, Mich, they have all kinds of parts for these old Heald units. Regarding the knocking noise, he suggested I check the converter for side to side, wobble, meaning the keyway might be loose. Lo and behold it does wobble. That just might be the cause of my knock, not internal at all, I hope.

I will let ya know. Right now I am in the painting stage of this build. It's not a TOTAL repaint, since I didn't pull the drive train out of it to paint in there, but everything else got sanded and is being repainted. Looking pretty sharp so far, if I so say so myself.


I will post pics of the completed job.
 
Not yet, everything is still in the paint phase, and the engine coverd in paper. Once I paint and put it all back together I will check it. Its easy to get to.
 
Back
Top