B&D Battery Charge Preservation

I own several Black & Decker yard tools that use the 18 volt battery. I was wondering if freezing the battery after charging would keep it charged until its needed as opposed to running dead on the shelf?
 
I own several Black & Decker yard tools that use the 18 volt battery. I was wondering if freezing the battery after charging would keep it charged until its needed as opposed to running dead on the shelf?

If 18 volt batteries are anything like smaller batteries (like AAA batteries, etc.), I would say it would not help. It might even hurt it. I would read this (this is for smaller batteries, but the same things might apply, I don't know):
batteries.jpg :anyone:
(snopes.com: Refrigerating or Freezing Batteries)
 
No to the fridge. If keeping the battery fully charged at all times is a priority for you, then go buy a programmable outlet timer like one you would use for a lamp. Program it to come on for say an hour a week. Or, if it has to come on everyday due to the way the timer is made, then only have it come on for the smallest amount of time possible, maybe 15 minutes.
 
Just get one of these: Black and Decker 5106551-01 18 volt dual station battery charger - Amazon.com

It will charge and maintain two 18V NiCd B&D tool batteries, and extend their lives. It's well worth the cost. The stock chargers that ship with the B&D tools are garbage.

417RoRUFX9L.jpg
 
The reviews didn't look too good on that charger. But my concern would be it overcharging the batteries. The single charger that came with mine will overcharge and cook it.
 
The reviews didn't look too good on that charger. But my concern would be it overcharging the batteries. The single charger that came with mine will overcharge and cook it.

It won't overcharge the battery. It has charge sensing circuity that switches it to trickle charge mode when the battery is fully charged. But, you are correct that the stock el cheapo charger will keep charging the battery until it is fried.
 
I have the BD elect chain saw . The manual gives some kinda strange charging guidelines. Seems like these NI Cads behave differently than others . There are some strange online remedies also for renewing apparently dead batteries.
 
I have the BD elect chain saw . The manual gives some kinda strange charging guidelines. Seems like these NI Cads behave differently than others . There are some strange online remedies also for renewing apparently dead batteries.

Please elaborate.
 
Please elaborate.

elaborating... strangeness in BD owners manual...pg 10 (model CCS818type1) ...

"2 For prolonged storage..over winter...charged and then removed from the charger. "

"It is OK to leave battery packs on charge for long periods of time" ( motoman comment-this means up to 30 days)

The significance of these two manual comments is that NiCads do not like our (historical ) trickle charge instincts. Next are excerpts from a site I found a few years back. I have not visited it lately and its recommendations are like any other on line-subject to your judgement. The site is
roaddevils.com/forum.

can last up to 20 years
reconditioning is 98% success
NiCads exhibit internal "crystal dendritic" growth (whiskers) which discharge bat completely
overcharging contributes
a "surge" process of zapping with 24volts every 3 months is effective
do not store NiCads with full charge

The full text is 3 pp. In addition the site refers to another site I have not visited which uses a welder as a power supply for zapping: instructables.com/id/Revi...with-a-welder/

I have not used the zap technique. :rolleyes: PS I still use the original black charger you dislike. Perhaps your orange dually is better.
 
I bought one of the B&D quick charger that look similar to the double above. I swear it shortened the life of my batteries so I have stopped using it.
 
Back
Top