Mower deck Anyone still have a Honda H4518HSA?

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
Would anyone know the toque mesurments for the special bolt on a 4518 pto assembly, I also removed the 6 bolts on the pto shaft and the 3 bolts for the brake plate if you have those mesurements as well,

Here's a 2-page .PDF of the torque values...hope this helps.

Attachments

• H4518 torque values (2 pages).pdf
    65 KB · Views: 17

Angelo

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thank you, this will definitely help,

Angelo

Forum Newbie
Threads
Yes. I have rebuilt my more deck and PTO clutch. I "split" the pulley's and replaced the bearings and saved a ton of money. Did the same with the clutch. Clutch material was fine. Drilled the rivets out and pressed a new bearing in unit. Bearing was $16. The complete assembly new was over $300. I bolted the pulley's and this assembly back together using 5/16x1/2 & 3/4 allen head bolts. Use loctite on the bolts. E-mail me if you have questions.

I pulled apart the pto clutch and took off the shaft, I'm looking at this and thinking it is worn down at the 2 locations that the bearings are located, has anyone seen this type of wear on the shaft, I would hate to put new parts on this only to find out the shaft is shot, Thanks

Attachments

• Capture_00005.JPG
    Capture_00005.JPG
    137.5 KB · Views: 14

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
You can get a product made by loctite ... their part # 660...
http://www.loctite.sg/sea/content_data/93755_Loctite_660_Quick_Metal_Retaining_Compound.pdf
It is made for shaft problems just like you have.. It works great & I have used it on shafts much looser than they specify... It has proven very dependable even on a Final Drive on one of my Cat crawlers ... stayed solid for hundreds of hours... Plus this product will not prevent future tear down should you need to remove the shaft for other reasons...
It's a little pricey But you will only use a Small amount, so get the small tube... It has great shelf life.
:smile:KennyV

Angelo

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for that info Kenny, is there a technique to get it to go on so the bearings and parts slide on nicely or should it go onto a lathe after it has hardened. I have two other parts that may have to be replaced of fixed if possible showing wear on the side that woudl be facing the bearings, the cooling fan boss and the drive plate, they seem to have worn pushing up against the bearings maybe, probably because I tightented it down too much. Would the loctite 600 work ok on that as well, I added a photo that you may be able to see what I'm trying to describe. Thanks again for the help.

Attachments

• Capture_00012_1.JPG
    Capture_00012_1.JPG
    101 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Loctite 660 will Not harden until it is contained in a space with no air, it is a heavy paste, and can not be used between 2 surfaces that must move against each other during operation. ... You can use it on a keyed fixture like you have pictured. Are those 2 pieces both keyed on the same shaft? if so then yes you could use it between them. It almost looks like there is a slot machined to hold a seal or thrust washer?
660 is good between a bearing outer surface and a case, or a bearing inner race and a shaft. But never inside the bearing itself...
660 will occupy & fill any void when applied it will shape itself to any space, then with the lack of air, it hardens, But it is not an adhesive or locking compound... if needed, you can later disassemble, clean up and reapply when reassembling.
:smile:KennyV

Angelo

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for taking the time to explain that, I can now see how that would work well between the shaft and the bearing. Both parts are keyed to the shaft, I attached an image of the PTO assembly from Boats.net, I hope that doesn't cause any problems on the forum. The faces of the parts #2 and #10 come close to or are in contact with sides of the bearings in the pulley #5 and bearing #28 so I not sure the loctite will work in that case. I believe the slot you are referring to is where it was worn down, it should be flush with the highest part instead of having a tiny lip that comes up on the side closest to the center. I was thinking of putting some sort of large washer or a thrust washer if that is what you call them between the bearing and the face that is worn but couldn't find anything.
Thank you again for your help it is very much appreciated,

Attachments

• Capture_00013.jpg
    Capture_00013.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 12

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
A well stocked hardware store should have hardened machine washers in standard sizes...and if there is room to place one between those 2 parts you could use 660 in there to give flat surfaces. (If those 2 pieces share the same key, you would have to cut a notch for the key. If it is 2 separate keys then the machine spacer would fit between without needing notched.
looks like you are having fun... :smile:KennyV

crissanna

Forum Newbie
Threads
Good to see others still have this old machine
Do you have the factory shop manual - if not I would be happy to email you a PDF file of the shop manual - attached is a page outlining the PTO system
Yes parts are still available but not at your local Honda dealer
Try; Jacks small engines, Boats.net, Pats small engines, etc they all have parts for these machines

Good luck

Any chance you would send me a copy of the service manual. new member not sure how to get it, thanks