Anyone know what year/model this oldie is?

resuwrecked

Forum Newbie
Has a 6hp engine an 3spd w/ reverse gearbox. Anyone know what it is?

IMG_5930.jpg

IMG_5934.jpg

IMG_5933.jpg
 
That's easy - it's a model 6. :wink:

Holy cow - where did you find that? It's fantastic! Chain drive and all. What are you planning to do with it? Do you have the other rear fender?
 
It's from the 50's, maybe early 50's.
Looks as though the front is cast aluminum. If you could find someone looking for the front casting that would be sweet as it's probably worth 100$.
 
I plan on swapping it to a diesel engine and possibly turbocharging it. The other rear fender and deck were not with it.

Yes the front piece is cast aluminium and the rest is sheet metal and steel tube frame.

I have done MUCH searching for old craftsman mowers and only found a small picture of one like this, there was no description of it though. Apparently no one else has one of these. I definitely want to keep it and tinker with it. A small (yanmar l100?) diesel with a tiny turbo from a chevy sprint and inter-cooled would be pretty neat, well at least I think so.
 
At first I thought the steering wheel was broken, but it's apparently designed that way - I found another (with the entire dash) just like it, but unfortunately there was no additional information.

You might try these guys: http://vsgt.aforumfree.com/
 
It is Craftsman model 131.8430. I looked further into that steering wheel, and there is someone selling the dash assembly:

VINTAGE CRAFTSMAN MOWER DASH, FOOT REST, STEERING WHEEL | eBay


Apparently, Sears still lists parts for the damn thing!

http://www.searspartsdirect.com/par...0247/1506000?pathTaken=&prst=0&shdMod=1318430



Here's a thread where someone seems to identify this as a 1965 mower, based on engine serial #s...

http://z15.invisionfree.com/Lawn_Mower_Central/index.php?showtopic=625



Here's your deck:

http://cgi.ebay.com/VINTAGE-CRAFTSM...302?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4aa638291e


And here are your fenders:

http://cgi.ebay.com/VINTAGE-CRAFTSM...309?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4aa6382925
 
Superb research, mystreba!

That thing is great, resuwrecked! I hope you get it going!

That tranny appears to be a close cousin to my R72's Peerless.

I appreciate your sarcasm about the turbo diesel....:wink:
 
Awesome research mystrba, that was fast, I really appreciate it! Now I know what I'm dealing with.

The motor is toast, so I will be repowering it with a diesel. The junkyard I go to has a chevy sprint turbo and they quoted me $100 for the entire turbo setup. Everything I own with an engine is turbocharged so this little guy will be as well, its an addiction. Haha. It may be a while before its complete but I'll post the build here when I do it. No sarcasm here!
 
Awesome research mystrba, that was fast, I really appreciate it! Now I know what I'm dealing with.

The motor is toast, so I will be repowering it with a diesel. The junkyard I go to has a chevy sprint turbo and they quoted me $100 for the entire turbo setup. Everything I own with an engine is turbocharged so this little guy will be as well, its an addiction. Haha. It may be a while before its complete but I'll post the build here when I do it. No sarcasm here!

Turbo is addicting, no question. Good luck - can't wait to see the progress!
 
Back
Top