Anyone ever worked on a Husqvarna Royal 43S?

Paxman

Threads
Hey guys!

I got fast and good help in another thread about a B & S engine question, so I figured I'll throw in a question about a weird mower that was given to me for free. It's a Husqvarna Royal 43S and it's not like any mower I ever seen before. The chassis is all plastic and it looks like a boat!

The problem I'm having is the knife holder underneath. I can't for the life of me figure out how to get it the damn thing off. It's attached to a fan wheel that sits on the engine shaft. Since everything is plastic I don't dare to use much force. Also I'd like to save the fan disc if I can.

IMG_3514.JPGIMG_3515.JPG

The machine seems to be in good condition otherwise with a real nice engine so it would be a shame if this plastic thingy would stop me from getting it running and sold. Worst case I'll just hack it off and save the engine for some other machine and dump the rest of the boat! :D

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance!
/Fred

Paxman

Threads
No one that have any experience with this model?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
It’s been many years, but if my memory is any good that part is just pressed onto the shaft. I would spay it liberally with penetrating oil and let stand for a few days, keeping it wet. should pop off with a bit of upward pressure. Have you checked the engine numbers to figure out what type of end you have on the crankshaft. This will tell you how it is mounted.

Paxman

Threads
Thanks for the answer Rivets!

When you say "upward" pressure...don't you mean downwards? Engine number is 12S802-1124-01 and the parts manual only shows that it's an ordinary keyed end:
Skärmavbild 2020-06-17 kl. 16.07.24.JPG

Parts manual for the Husqvarna shows:

Skärmavbild 2020-06-17 kl. 16.09.38.JPG

I wonder if I can use a slide hammer somehow connected to the bolt for the knife and pull everything in the last picture down...I'm guessing that the fan wheel and the holder is pressed on the part labeled "NB" in the picture which in turn is connected to the crank shaft?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Up, down, I thought you had the engine off. Part NB musts slides on the shaft using a woodruff key, not square key to hold it in place and prevent spinning. As I said drenching with oil for a day or two should help you break it loose. Insert the bolt until almost tight and tap on the bolt while prying. If you have an assistant, put you pry bars 180 degrees apart, pry and tap gently. With patience you should be able to pop it loose.

Paxman

Threads
The (stupid) thing is that you can't take the engine off with the fan disc and blade holder in place. The engine bolts threads from bottom up and are hidden under the disc. This machine is really weird.

I sprayed a lot of WD40 a few days ago and are working on other machines. I'll get back to the Royal when they are done. I'm not really sure if it's worth the effort tough...don't think this machine is that desirable since it's so strange.

Last edited:

Compact7

Threads
Another method might be to use a pull start cord or two as pulling loops. Loop it between deck and pulley with enough extra length on both sides to grab onto. Favor pulling on one side then the other held with each hand to "walk" it off.

But I wanna see the boat! Could be fun in the July 4th parade or boating around the tractor show wearing your Captain's hat. Or bandana and pirate's eye patch. ?‍☠️ Edit: Aw shucks, it's self-propelled. I thought it was a rider.

Attachments

• Husky43S.jpg
    Husky43S.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

Paxman

Threads
?

This project is on back burner for now...but I'll report back if/when there is any progress. (y)

Paxman

Threads
OK, so yesterday I was able to get the knife holder and fan disc off. It was just a matter of prying from different sides using just enough force not to crack the fan disc. After a while I was able to jiggle the whole assembly off.

This thing with plastic knife holders is just bad. I got another mower with the same crap and it was just spinning on the shaft...same as for the Husqvarna. Why a sheer key on the shaft if it only will gauge up the inside of the knife holder making it a real pita to get off?

I have ordered a new knife holder, but I have no idea which part I will get. I'm hoping for 512 70 32-00 in the picture in post #4 since that is what I think is the problem that the knife won't stick to the holder.

Next problem is to separate the three parts. The part marked "NB" in the picture I'm pretty sure is pressed into the 512 70 32-00 with the fan disc sandwiched in-between...but I have not been able to get it out yet. I have used a punch from the hole for the screw and got it to move maybe 1/4"...but now I'm destroying the edge I'm tapping on....aaaaaargh...I hate plastic parts!!!! ? At least with metal you can use heat!!!

sanchezz02

Forum Newbie
Threads
Up, down, I thought you had the engine off. Part NB musts slides on the shaft using a woodruff key, not square key to hold it in place and prevent spinning. As I said drenching with oil for a day or two should help you break it loose. Insert the bolt until almost tight and tap on the bolt while prying. If you have an assistant, put you pry bars 180 degrees apart, pry and tap gently. With patience you should be able to pop it loose.

Yep, you're right on that one. I've been experiencing almost the same problems with my old lawn mower, and after some tests I've understood that I have to get a new one. I've tried a lot of changes of components, but finally got a new one Husqvarna Z254F 747cc, from source I could trust, because there were a lot of positive reviews about it.

Last edited: