Any ideas on why a crank seal would be leaking after replacing twice

Let's just do the right side first, and we'll decide after you tell me how it looks. If you really want to do this pull the right side head following the instructions in the manual. Make sure that you label the push rod so you know which is which. Do not remove the valves from the head. Do you realize that I may be asking you to recondition or replace the valves after you tell me what they look like?

Thanks for giving me a heads up with the valves, where would I get them reconditioned? Would it be possible to clean the valves if needed, I would rather do both sides at once but I'm guessing you want to see the results of the worst side first before I waste my time. I won't be able to do this until Friday or Saturday but I will post some pics. Thanks
 
We can do both sides at once, just want to know what I'm getting in to first. If we need to recondition the valves we need the best small engine rebuilder in you area. Ask around. It shouldn't cost a lot, just want someone who really knows what they are doing. Some of your auto builders may have cutters small enough. Remember I use to teach this and have to justify my decisions. Don't want to jump to conclusions, could cost big bucks if I tell you wrong. Not my money, so I double check and pray I'm right.
 
Thanks again for all your help, Im on the road all day for work and know of a few small engine repair shops that have been in business for along time.
 
I got both heads off and took some pictures, I'm not good at posting pics on forums but I can email them to you from my phone if you don't mind, if you don't want to make your email public you can pm it to me, let me know if that's ok with you.
 
Sorry I haven't gotten back to you, just got home from work. 33 hours in the last three days, and have to go back in tomorrow. Good customer blew two Kohler 25 HP engines Wednesday and have been rebuilding totally last three days. Plus today we sold nine units. The two Z's and one tractor had to go out today and the rebuilds have to been ready to install Monday. You can send me pics to me, I'll pm my email. How do the heads look? Try to get real close-ups of the valve heads and cylinder walls. I'll try to get back to you tonight if I don't fall asleep.
 
I will send them now. The top of the pistons had alot of crud on them, all the cross hatching was on the cylinder walls. When I replaced the crankcase gasket everything from underneath looked brand new including the walls so i was surprised how it looked. Head gaskets weren't noticeably ripped but nicked on the edges.
 
Back
Top