Another computer thread....

twall

Lawn Addict
Threads
Just for anyone else out there that is interested.
I've used just about all the Anti-Virus stuff and MOST of it slows down your system. I've had things get past Norton and McAfee - Have not YET had anything get past AVG and it does not seem to slow the system - The FREE version is good, but I got the Internet Security (paid version) is because our 2nd computer connects to internet thru our network cards and Cellular air card.

Okay, I wasn't asking, now I am asking......

That is the one thing that sux.....Anti-virus uses so much of the system resources.......how much is this AVG you speak of? And, for that matter, since it's said that Android has it's own firewall (and I am simply leeching off that 'server')......why do I need a firewall at all? Since my 'host' already is firewalled? And a firewall uses plenty of resources! (I know, BK....you never start a sentance with 'and'....:laughing:)

twall

Lawn Addict
Threads
I just started messing with computers a few years ago, "Out of a Necessity". The better I get on this computer, the more I realize my sytem sucks! I might have to try this! Thanks!:thumbsup:

Don't worry, man....we were all n00bs at one time not so long ago....it doesn't take much to know your way around! It's just the nuances of computers and the 'Net....one click, and you're downloading a virus. It's really scary, for anyone......

You can be taken in a heartbeat. That's why I started this thread. I've been around computers (and using them) since 1985!!!! Yes, to those of you paying attention: I have been using computers since I was 12. Now I'm 38. :laughing:

Sprinkler Buddy

Threads
"I have been using computers since I was 12. Now I'm 38."

Figured you to be much older!:laughing: Wise beyond your years.:laughing:

BKBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
You can get the free version of AVG for free and even the paid version isn't very expensive (much less than Mcafee or Norton. If you need it for a laptop or desktop the free version is all most people need. AVG.com

Jetblast

Threads
There's a great freebie called TDSSKiller made by Kaspersky that'll repair the nastiest rootkit trojans imaginable. I just used it to repair a computer owned by a friend's 11 y/o son who'd been stealing music and games from Russian sites. :ashamed: I did a full restore on that machine to factory spec and it still didn't wipe out this trojan, but it did at least allow me to find what was wrong and install TDSSKiller. Microsoft Security Essentials was able to identify the trojan but couldn't repair it, and Malwarebytes and Ad-Aware couldn't even identify it.

Lots of great freebies out there. I paid for Adobe Lightroom 3 for my photography hobby, but everything else I use is freebie stuff. For anti-virus protection, Microsoft Security Essentials is great and so if Avast's free program. Free AVG is good, if not a little resource heavy. Auslogics Defrag is an excellent free defragmenter that takes only a fraction of the time Windows defrag takes, and of course CCleaner is a must-run-daily program for keeping the system clean and fast.

If you end up restoring a computer like I did, after it's done you can use Slimcomputer to uninstall garbage bloatware programs, then install all of your good programs with Ninite.com. Big time savers.

RobertBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
Microsoft Security Essentials is what i use.... free version. AVG really slowed it down.

twall

Lawn Addict
Threads
I actually do have AVG - on my Android phone (my "router").

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
Just for anyone else out there that is interested.
I've used just about all the Anti-Virus stuff and MOST of it slows down your system. I've had things get past Norton and McAfee - Have not YET had anything get past AVG and it does not seem to slow the system - The FREE version is good, but I got the Internet Security (paid version) is because our 2nd computer connects to internet thru our network cards and Cellular air card.

I used the paid version of AVG Internet Security on our Windows XP computer for a year....had many problems with the firewall becoming inactive. Currently use Kaspersky ISS on both XP and Vista computers, it has almost no effect on system speed and so far no problems with XP firewall going down. I may be a minority here, but have tried McAfee, AVG, Webroot ISS's and prefer Kaspersky to all of them. Webroot constantly let viruses (mostly garbage security products) get into my Vista PC. Was very unhappy with the Webroot ISS.

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
Okay, I wasn't asking, now I am asking......

That is the one thing that sux.....Anti-virus uses so much of the system resources.......how much is this AVG you speak of? And, for that matter, since it's said that Android has it's own firewall (and I am simply leeching off that 'server')......why do I need a firewall at all? Since my 'host' already is firewalled? And a firewall uses plenty of resources! (I know, BK....you never start a sentance with 'and'....:laughing:)

Paid versions of AVG range from about $20 a year to protect one PC and $30-$40 for four PC's. Over a year ago I got a 3-PC, one-year subscription to AVG ISS from Newegg.com for only $9.99 on sale. Ebay sellers usually have good prices for ISS.

twall

Lawn Addict
Threads
Thanks for the input on the anti-virus. I went with MSE. I wonder why MS didn't just include it in it's OS? Did it have something to do with the ant-trust suit? Or is this software that new? I notice it's version 1.something......