Another brilliant design!

Smithsonite

Threads
21st century engineering for ya. You should see what we're dealing with in the automotive world. The newer the vehicle, the more infuriating the engineering. Sad part is, some of it is as simple as maybe installing a bolt so that it can be removed without removing the transmission while it's on the assembly line.

I call this " A$$hole engineering". Been seeing a lot of this in the OPE world too the past 10 years or so. SAD!!

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Yes there are some pretty stupid things done to about every piece of equipment.

It sorta having to remove the fender pan to remove an idler where in the past they used a carriage bolt but to save a few pennies they switch to regular cap screws but still stamping the square hole.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
My son's Nissan xterra had a bad plug coil. You have to pull the intake manifold to remove the plug coils and spark plugs

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
My son's Nissan xterra had a bad plug coil. You have to pull the intake manifold to remove the plug coils and spark plugs
From the auto repair videos I watch it appears removing the intake manifold is common with a lot of vehicles to do what should be simple repairs in some cases. Or the 2022 Super Duty with the power stroke diesel. Upper oil pan leak requires removing the cab and the engine.

Zue

Threads
View attachment 63036
Shock mount in front of spark plugs so that once you break the plugs loose you can't use a socket to get them all the way out. After 2 turns you can barely get the socket off and finger the plugs out. If they aren't tight. I'll bet the engineers used to work for Chrysler.
Good sign not to buy that brand again.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Customer's mower. Real nice simplicity. I will see it once a year for a while.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Break it loose with a socket, then get a piece of 1/4" fuel line and slide over the porcelain and spin it out.

hlw49

Lawn Addict
Threads
1970 429 Boss Mustang only way to change the plugs was to take the engine mounts loose jack up engine or cut holes in the finder liner. Was not my vehicle so I took the mounts loose and jackes up the engine. Good grief what a cluster f. Merry merry and a happy happy. Starting to snow here again. Suppose to be in the 60's by the weekend.

Smithsonite

Threads
Wish that was all I had to do on modern econoboxes. Intake manifold has to come off. That part is easy - it's the 300 parts, wiring, and sensors attached to it that sucks. 😂

What a sweet Mustang. Must've been a blast to drive! 😎