Air Fryer cooking

hlw49

Lawn Addict
Threads
For ever, I've had problem with my knee. (accident in 1998 and arthritis for many years) But it's nothing compared to back pain. With the knee, I could use a cane or crutches. But with a bad back, laying down was about the ONLY relief, if you can find a comfy position.
For a bad knee you might try this. Get a 8 lb. ankle weight and wrap it around your ankle sit on something you can swing your lower leg back and forth slightly. Not a lot swing it for 20 to 30 minutes and apply moist heat to it. It may take a while but I did this and it has really helped my knees. Where most people mess up is if the joint hurts they quit using it but that is the wrong thing to do. Joints only get lubrication and nutrients when they move. If you quit using them they will lock up from lack of nutrients.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
Ok, so I cooked the roast last night. And I screwed it up. Mainly by putting two (out of many) types of seasoning on it, that were too salty. Which made the roast taste that way. But, funny thing, I could still taste the other seasonings.
This is something that I highly enjoy about the AF, what ever seasonings you put on the food, you can taste it when it's done cooking. So, despite it being too salty, there was still a lot of flavor (including the meat flavor itself).
After about 30 minutes, the meat temp was still only about 150. I was trying to reach 160. I cut into it, and there was a lot of red left. So, I put it on another 20 minutes and left it. OMG, that was probably 10 minutes too long.
It looked like it was going to be boot leather and just as dry.
But to my surprise, it was very juicy still.

I'm loving this thing.

Cooking tip: Some may have seen those video's where you can dump a ton of salt onto a steak and let it sit for like 1 hr per inch, to tenderize it. I honestly think that works. I did it to this roast. After washing it off, the toughest part of the steak broke open like tender meat, before cooking it. And even though I washed off the salt, adding seasoning with added salt may not have been the reason the roast was so salty. It's possible that the salt that soaked into the roast, you just can't wash out.
My next attempt, I'm going to layer the steak with salt again, but not add any salted seasoning. If it's still salty, then I'll know what actually makes the meat too salty.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Yes PT meat will absorb salt when soaking which is something you learn in science class. Osmosis is the term for this. In class they can show how salt can move through a membrane to side with no salt. Instead coating the meat solidly with salt use a water brine mix and soak it as lesser amounts of salt transfers to meat [at a slower pace]. Have you ever tried country ham [salt cured]? It is salty as heck which is why I have boil the meat before cooking it to low the salt levels.

You also got watch out for the salt level especially if you got high blood pressure. Here I am on a no salt [extremely low salt] diet because of mine. Everything I try to buy that is low or no salt costs more. It because you get more of what you are buying instead of water. And those Ms Dashes no salt spices are terrible to me.

catman606

Threads
Well I love all the air frying info. We have one of the round ones that we mainly fix fries and onion rings in, much better than dealing with a skillet of hot grease. I like to reheat pizza in too, leaves it a little crusty instead of limp like the microwave does. As mentioned earlier though, you can't beat a microwave for baked potatoes.

Like to buy one of the oven type air friers that will hold larger items. Doing research right now, the Ninja Foodie has caught my eye. Would make the wife a nice birthday present in April.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
A TV add can cost thousands which has to be recovered from selling the product
Thus nothing advertised on TV excluseivly will be good value
So go to a couple of big electrical retailers or even better small ones that do repairs
They usually keep the better ones because if it does not work, they have to do the repairs .
One of the currently flogged ones down here is actually $ 500 ( legeslation requiring the full price to be shown was overturned a while back ) .
The identical unit from the same factory is $ 220 in retail shops without all of the "free extras " like the cook book worth $ 90

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Ron Popiel made a large fortune selling items on TV. He sold the items for what it cost him so no profit on the actual items but made his fortune on shipping and handling fees. He wrote a book telling how he did it and folks still bought his junk on TV. Can't fix stupid.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
friend sells old magazine & newspaper adds on evilbay
It took me nearly 5 years to convince him to buy prepaid mailing tubes in bulk from the post office then when he sells the adds to add the full retail price of the tubes to the sale .
By doing this it guarranteed he would make $ 7 on every sale .
The big thing however was it ended spending hours chopping up old cardboard cartons to make protectors for adds.
Finally he got cartons of zip lock plastic bags , dropped the adds into the bag , sealed the top with sticky tape , roll them up & slip them into the tube so a 10 minute job became a 2 minute job.
It took a long while but eventually he worked out that the fixed profit on P & P was a better bet than a big sale price so if he loaded 1000 items there would be $ 7000 of profit regardless of the sale price so he could stop watching his sales 24 / 7 . load them all up in a single batch which can take a couple of days then not load any more till all of the previous batch had been despatched which made sure multiple purchasers paid at least on P & P from each batch and to space his batches 2 months apart and do each upload as single subject .
And of course because there was going to be a $ 7 profit regardless of the selling price , they all went on with an opening bid of 50¢ to $ 1 so he got a lot more bidders because they looked to be really cheap .
Now a month before his taxes are due, he loads enough items to cover the tax as a single batch .

When I had the transport business we had several small art galleries that sold local , no-name art works
Same story there I charged $ 30 each delivery because the were nearly all after hours going to a persons home
The galleries charged $ 100 to $ 200 for delivery because that is what the professional art movers charged.
Thus a lot of $ 50 paintings made better than $ 100 on the freight and one gallery realized they were on a winner with this so started doing weekly sales in place of monthly sales which allowed them to drastically increase the number of artists they represented so increased the chances of one of them becoming a big time $$$$$ collectors item.

Last edited:

Jinglepaws2

Forum Newbie
Threads
And boy do I hate the no salt diet I am suppose to be on. Cant find anything that has no salt or is low salt.
I understand why since literally almost everything we eat are processed foods these days and processed foods are always loaded with salt. Manufacturers use salt in place of many more costly ingredients they should be putting in their products which flavor food to increase their profit margins.. God rot their souls. I wish the Government could force them not to shove such high concentrations salt in everything they make. As I've gotten older, for some unknown reason, I've turned into a human salt gieger counter. I taste salt a mile away. My tongue burns and/ or I get a weird, nasty taste in my mouth when there's too much salt in something which happens way too often nowadays. There's salt in almost everything! Who can afford fresh, unprocessed foods today? Boy, I wish I could but it's just to expensive.

Karenballen

Forum Newbie
Threads
I'm glad you took the leap and bought an air fryer after watching all those tutorials. Your first cooking experience sounds delicious! Those stuffed jalapenos must have been a hit, considering you couldn't resist eating seven of them before the chicken was ready. That's the power of a good recipe. It's interesting how using the air fryer brought out the flavors of the seasoning in your chicken. The absence of oil allows the seasoning to shine, making it even more noticeable and tasty. Juicy and flavorful chicken—what more could we ask for? By the way, have you ever considered adding organic mushroom powder to the chicken? It adds a unique flavor.

Last edited: