Export thread

Air Fryer cooking

PTmowerMech

PTmowerMech

I got to watching a lot of air fryer cooking because a friend of mine said she loved hers. And has all but stopped using her oven and frying food in oil. Curiosity finally got the better of me, so I watched a lot of video's of tutorials on cooking my favorites. Friend chicken, stuff jalapeno's and a few others.
I rarely ran across a bad review. Or seen many bad comments about air fryer, so I bought one.

Yesterday, I cooked for the first time on it. 8 stuffed jalapeno's and batter fried chicken. I ended up eating 7 of the jalapeno's before the chicken was ready. They turned out so darn good.
The chicken, needs a little detail in describing. It was very good. But the first couple of bites weren't exactly as I was expecting. Normally, I season the flour, drop my chicken in milk & egg, then drop it into the zip lock baggie, with the seasoned flour. Then put it into a hot cast iron skillet and fry it like that. I did the same exact thing, only put it into the air fryer. The taste was very good. The difference was I could actually taste the seasoning. Where as when you skillet fry chicken, the seasoning taste isn't near as noticeable. I suppose the oil taste overrides the seasoning, or something to that effect. But in the air fryer, I could clearly taste the seasoning. And the chicken was still very juicy.
Now, FYI, I LOVE the taste of chicken fried in oil. It's what I grew up with.

I've going to try a sirloin steak in it this week. The tutorials i've watched on those also show the streaks coming out very juicy.

Anyone else use an air fryer?

StarTech

StarTech

Boy PT I thought you fell off the wagon... Glad we didn't run over you...

No I dont have an air fryer but have been considering something similar combined with a microwave. JUst had a lot extra bills and that water heater I installed this week took a lot more than I expected. It a bad of the years for extra bills to hit all at once.

PTmowerMech

PTmowerMech

Boy PT I thought you fell off the wagon... Glad we didn't run over you...

No I dont have an air fryer but have been considering something similar combined with a microwave. JUst had a lot extra bills and that water heater I installed this week took a lot more than I expected. It a bad of the years for extra bills to hit all at once.

Just been dealing with a lot of back problems and trying to get insurance. I think those are worked out now. Oh, and had a water heater problem myself, last week. Actually it was just a bad water connection, turned leak. Who ever made that connection, put some stupid fitting in between two pieces of pex pipe. In the center of the two connections, was a piece of gray pipe like maybe 1.5", to connect two pieces of PEX. Ridiculous. Lucky thing, I'm renting from some very nice folks. She had the plumber come out on a sunday and fix it. And he put in a shut off valve.

But yeah, this air fryer that I got, is big. And very in expensive. I paid like $70 for it. It's not digital. But I can still set it the same as one, using the dials. +

The ONLY thing I think they would do to improve this, is for the drip pan to be teflon coated. It's a bit had to clean after a lot of grease cooks to it.

B

bertsmobile1

Bought a cheap one 5 years ago for the workshop because it is the old farm house which had to be made "unliveable" so the stove was removed .
I found it great and use it a lot .
So I bought a better one for home with a rotissery basket as I am rather too fond of chips.
First thing we noticed was the electricity bill dropped a lot as we almost never use the full size oven any more .
Note I make a lot of different types of chips using sweet potatoes, sweedes, turnips, carrots , parsnips etc.
She makes a lot of pizzas and it makes a better pizza than the oven ever did and the same for cakes
Usually we cook them in the microwave then pop them in the air fryer for 3 to 5 minutes to dry the surface & form a crust .

StarTech

StarTech

Just been dealing with a lot of back problems and trying to get insurance. I think those are worked out now. Oh, and had a water heater problem myself, last week. Actually it was just a bad water connection, turned leak. Who ever made that connection, put some stupid fitting in between two pieces of pex pipe. In the center of the two connections, was a piece of gray pipe like maybe 1.5", to connect two pieces of PEX. Ridiculous. Lucky thing, I'm renting from some very nice folks. She had the plumber come out on a sunday and fix it. And he put in a shut off valve.

But yeah, this air fryer that I got, is big. And very in expensive. I paid like $70 for it. It's not digital. But I can still set it the same as one, using the dials. +

The ONLY thing I think they would do to improve this, is for the drip pan to be teflon coated. It's a bit had to clean after a lot of grease cooks to it.
I had to give on getting insurance they all wanted at least 3x what I make monthly. I finally work through most of my back problems. Hips still raise cane every so often. But my most serious health issue is high blood pressure. I wa out meds for nearly a month because the doctors keep refusing the see me unless I did blood work. But a secret stash of meds that got me by and now I just to rebuild that stash. Going Monday to just for an office charge so I can get a yearly prescription. What ripoff $160 just to write a prescription.

PTmowerMech

PTmowerMech

Bought a cheap one 5 years ago for the workshop because it is the old farm house which had to be made "unliveable" so the stove was removed .
I found it great and use it a lot .
So I bought a better one for home with a rotissery basket as I am rather too fond of chips.
First thing we noticed was the electricity bill dropped a lot as we almost never use the full size oven any more .
Note I make a lot of different types of chips using sweet potatoes, sweedes, turnips, carrots , parsnips etc.
She makes a lot of pizzas and it makes a better pizza than the oven ever did and the same for cakes
Usually we cook them in the microwave then pop them in the air fryer for 3 to 5 minutes to dry the surface & form a crust .

Clarification on potato chips. Our chips are very thin, crispy and round. My UK friend describe their chips as more of an American french fry.

This model I got has a rotisserie. This interests me. As I can see a chicken going around and round in it. But the cost of whole chickens is more expensive than chicken breasts here. The prices of chicken, are just stupid in the US.
I can get chicken leg quarters, in a 5lb bag (frozen) for like .80cents per lb. But chicken wings, which used to be the junk part of the chicken, like like $8 per lb.
Whole chickens are about $5 to $6 each.

But, none the less, I'll spend the $5 just to learn how to use the rotisserie.

One thing about cooking fried chicken in the air fryer. You need a little spray bottle with something like olive oil in it, to lightly spray the batter after it's cooked 1/2. Otherwise the the flour will still be white in some places. Kind of weird.

PTmowerMech

PTmowerMech

I had to give on getting insurance they all wanted at least 3x what I make monthly. I finally work through most of my back problems. Hips still raise cane every so often. But my most serious health issue is high blood pressure. I wa out meds for nearly a month because the doctors keep refusing the see me unless I did blood work. But a secret stash of meds that got me by and now I just to rebuild that stash. Going Monday to just for an office charge so I can get a yearly prescription. What ripoff $160 just to write a prescription.

For ever, I've had problem with my knee. (accident in 1998 and arthritis for many years) But it's nothing compared to back pain. With the knee, I could use a cane or crutches. But with a bad back, laying down was about the ONLY relief, if you can find a comfy position.

StarTech

StarTech

For ever, I've had problem with my knee. (accident in 1998 and arthritis for many years) But it's nothing compared to back pain. With the knee, I could use a cane or crutches. But with a bad back, laying down was about the ONLY relief, if you can find a comfy position.
Oh I dealt the same thing for about ten years then one day I went to get up off the floor where I laying in mild pain my back made a very loud pop. Hurt like heck so I thought I broke my back but 15 minutes later all the pain was gone. All I can figure is that I had a vertebra out place and it finally went back in place. The last joint problem is the shoulder that I nearly dislocated falling down a flight of steps.

And UK chips are basically our french fries. As for the chicken cost you got to go by the price per pound. Even then it can be expensive. Just stay away from the organic ones. To me it is all organic as I don't rubber chickens. That is clown food. I work the sales and put surplus buys in the freezer. This week it is boneless pork loins at $1.77 per pound. It is the same meat as the boneless pork chops and breakfast chop with the expense of the meat cutter slicing it up. Just place in the freeze until just starts to freeze and slice up like you like the chop to be thickness wise. Now of course I got a razor sharp 12" knife to do this. I usually just roast a half loin with spices.

But yes chicken can still be reasonable considering when you buy it. I recently got bone in chicken breasts for $0.99 /lb. which normally is closer to $2.50 - $3.00 /lb lately. Just got to use your smarts to out wit the grocery stores.

Boston butt I recent was only $1.29/lb and boneless Ribeye roast was 6.99/lb. Beef is always more expensive. One store I went to it was $18/lb for the same cut.

As chickens to grill or roast I prefer around 3 pounders birds and not a 5-6 lb bird. Of course they have well roast since I support to be on a no-salt diet. I have to have some salt so they are lightly salted just to get rid of some of the watery taste.

Of course this Covid thing has been good for me as it finally put me on a diet that I actually lose weight on. I current down about 17 lbs. Even at 248 lbs I am still too heavy, I shooting for 220 lbs which what I weight when I was in my 20s. But losing weight has it drawbacks. One is my pants keeps trying to fall off. You know plumber butt is cold. Another is like today the cold wind just goes through me ie I was shivering hard after a short walk to the neighbor house and again on the way back even with a coat on. And the weight is a lot harder to get off when you are older. I have been on this diet for a year now.

Hammermechanicman

Hammermechanicman

I use mine almost every day. My prized cast iron skillet doesn't get the use it once did.1642812699505.jpg1642812699144.jpg
Chicken tenders and onion rings.

Scrubcadet10

Scrubcadet10

I guess my invitation got lost in the mail...... *humph*

Hammermechanicman

Hammermechanicman

I guess my invitation got lost in the mail...... *humph*
Must have.1642817696656.jpg
Just made pork tenderloin for supper. I will send you some.

B

bertsmobile1

Chips = potatoe cut into sliced lenght ways then rotated 90 deg and cut again
Probably similar to your french fries but generally about 1/2" square where as french fries are usually about 1/4" square.

Chicken portions are very cheap because they are factory processed for take away chains like KFC in mamouth volumes
Whole chicken is a much smaller market
Although how a 1kg breast can be said to come from a chicken and not an old chook is a bit beyond me
Same as 1 kg veal steaks .
Veal was traditionally the make calfs born in a dairy heard , raised for 1 month then sold for meat .
Food fashions are really funny.
As a kit I ate a lot of lamb shanks & pigs trotters because they were the cheapest meat one could buy apart from a bag of dog bones.
Now days they are dearer than sirloin steak.
The local butcher gets me liver & kidney when he is doing proper butchery on a complete carcase but even they are becoming expensive because the pet food industry can not keep up supply.
The dogs get table scraps + some kibble but one of the first things that supermarkets run out of is dog & cat food .

I use two things to soothe back ache
1) very hot shower for as long as I can take it then lay dead flat on a hard surface with my hands clasped outstretched above my head but still on the floor till I cool down
2) hang upside down off the chin up bar by my knees till the blood pressure in my head becomes too much to take, again with my arms at full stretch.

Both of these were taught to me by a spinal surgeon and they supposedly cause the vertebra to separate so the discs can inflate again.
When I get off the chin up bar I am about 1.5" taller so it obviously works to a point .
You can buy really expensive inversion tables but a chin up bar seems to work well for me but you do need some thing soft to fall onto & you have to be careful that you don't come off & land on your head .

StarTech

StarTech

What I like is the waffle fries.

What a lot people don't understand cut meats is sometimes they a savage parts from less than premium grade. Chickens are a good example if what I seen working in mass production chicken houses.

Bert you right how things changed over the years. Can't even get pork neck-bones cheap any more. And forget about getting Oxtails. About the only way is to buy meat in bulk and process it yourself. When I am looking chicken drumsticks or thighs I just buy a buy of leg quarters. Cut them up and the back sections for soups and stews; although, the way I cut them they are also good breaded and fried or bake.

Ahhh inversion therapy.

J

Jinglepaws2

I got converted to air frying 3 to 4 years ago and never looked back. I have a Phillips air fryer as well as a Ninja Foodie Grill. I LOVE my Ninja grill the best. It makes great steaks and burgers with grill marks and no smoke but then you can turn around and bake, broil, dehydrate in it as well. Air frying cooks and browns where a microwave rubberizes food and warms, no comparison. Microwaves no longer have any place in my kitchen. As a good general starting point to convert oven recipes to air fry, I knock 50° off the temperature and 30% off the cooking time.

VRR.DYNDNS>BIZ

VRR.DYNDNS>BIZ

I got to watching a lot of air fryer cooking because a friend of mine said she loved hers. And has all but stopped using her oven and frying food in oil. Curiosity finally got the better of me, so I watched a lot of video's of tutorials on cooking my favorites. Friend chicken, stuff jalapeno's and a few others.
I rarely ran across a bad review. Or seen many bad comments about air fryer, so I bought one.

Yesterday, I cooked for the first time on it. 8 stuffed jalapeno's and batter fried chicken. I ended up eating 7 of the jalapeno's before the chicken was ready. They turned out so darn good.
The chicken, needs a little detail in describing. It was very good. But the first couple of bites weren't exactly as I was expecting. Normally, I season the flour, drop my chicken in milk & egg, then drop it into the zip lock baggie, with the seasoned flour. Then put it into a hot cast iron skillet and fry it like that. I did the same exact thing, only put it into the air fryer. The taste was very good. The difference was I could actually taste the seasoning. Where as when you skillet fry chicken, the seasoning taste isn't near as noticeable. I suppose the oil taste overrides the seasoning, or something to that effect. But in the air fryer, I could clearly taste the seasoning. And the chicken was still very juicy.
Now, FYI, I LOVE the taste of chicken fried in oil. It's what I grew up with.

I've going to try a sirloin steak in it this week. The tutorials i've watched on those also show the streaks coming out very juicy.

Anyone else use an air fryer?
love it

R

RolandW

I got my wife one for Christmas and she's been using it almost every day. Brand name is Cosori. Chicken is very good. Steaks are the next best thing to grilled outside, plus it doesn't stink up the house the way broiling them in the regular oven does. Some things aren't necessarily better than in the oven; just faster. We've been eating way too many frozen french fries and onion rings made in it. They probably aren't very good for you regardless of how they're prepared. I recommend using a meat thermometer religiously if you're not confident about cooking times.

DWKane

DWKane

I have two of them...a small one and a medium sized one (both very basic...no rotisserie etc) and use them all the time. Chicken, beef, fish , potatoes, etc....love them.

For many foods which may drip or ooze...I use a piece of parchment paper underneath (not too big or it will block air flow and/or get caught in the heating coil)

OCFarmer

OCFarmer

To me it is all organic as I don't rubber chickens.
ROTFLOL! We think alike on that subject! My favorite line is "Organic? All I eat is organic, 'cause I can't digest gravel!" Ever notice that "organic" produce just doesn't look as appetizing?

S

Samsonlite

This airfryer info has been good to hear. I purchased one for my SO and we have only used the microwave part (which took some experiment/learning). I had wondered if it the expense was worth the (my) money. We shall see. I'll need to push her some....

I recently got a good deal at an estate on a 2012 JD D170 with an oil leak. It turned out to be the gasket had been partially sucked into the sump pan. --How does that happen? I can say it was "sucked in" because parts of it were inside the sump.

I learned a lot about the engine in the process, such as to double check the lip of the seal, is it all turned inward or maybe even all turned outward! Then I learned that what I thought was a tight enough clutch bolt via my arm muscle, didn't quite do it. Evidently, the slot in the clutch housing had not totally accepted the frame's tab, so the assembly was not secure. The bolt loosened, dropping the clutch down from the frame tab holding it motionless, allowing the whole thing to spin. That pulled the cable from the harness connector and destroyed it.
I learned from some online sleuthing that, WarnerPTO@Altramotion.com makes mower clutches and cables and that 50fps was the correct amount of tightening on my clutch bolt. The short cable was only $12.25 which included shipping which took only three days! Their phone no. is 1-888-274-3718.
I found online info on JD parts to be restricted and not very helpful as they strongly control their parts. But if it is an engine problem or tranny problem go directly to the engine or tranny maker. For example, Parts Tree, virtually in my back yard, doesn't display the JD logo at all, but with the engine numbers, you can work around that and still look up parts.

PTmowerMech

PTmowerMech

I use mine almost every day. My prized cast iron skillet doesn't get the use it once did.View attachment 59390View attachment 59391
Chicken tenders and onion rings.

I was amazed at how it browns the batter. Although, I've learned, at least with chicken, it's best to spray it with a little oil. The chicken I cooked the other day, after the chicken was cooked, some of the flour was still white.
Onion rings. Now that's a good idea.

StarTech

StarTech

Samsonlite, You didn't stepped that much. As many of us goes around JD for parts. I hardly ever by parts from JD any more. There one note on the PTO clutch bolt; however, is a 7/16-20 which should torque to 55 ft/lbs. if it was a M10 then it would have been 45 ft/lbs.

Personally I would have use the Xtreme X0424 clutch to replace that Warner clutch.

StarTech

StarTech

I was amazed at how it browns the batter. Although, I've learned, at least with chicken, it's best to spray it with a little oil. The chicken I cooked the other day, after the chicken was cooked, some of the flour was still white.
Onion rings. Now that's a good idea.
Trying holding your near the exhaust of your mower engine sometime. I fairly you will remove it before it gets cooked to brown stage.

PTmowerMech

PTmowerMech

We can still discuss things other than mowers in the front porch section, right?

StarTech

StarTech

Yes, Just replying to a comment PT.

As for what this discussion is about I am working buying a replacement my current blown microwave so this air fryer discussion just adds to my options to consider after I recover this weeks water heater expense.

PTmowerMech

PTmowerMech

Yes, Just replying to a comment PT.

As for what this discussion is about I am working buying a replacement my current blown microwave so this air fryer discussion just adds to my options to consider after I recover this weeks water heater expense.

I still use my microwave. It's a must have. For example: Baked potato in the air fryer, like 20 to 30 minutes. Microwave, 6 minutes.

To help conserve electricity, after my coffee has brewed, I turn it off. If need be, I'll heat up a cup in the microwave if I want some later.

StarTech

StarTech

PT, I learn to drink cold coffee during the day; unless, it is cold outside then I might reheat it. Now of course I go thru two or three pots per day. Just finishing my second pot right now.

PTmowerMech

PTmowerMech

PT, I learn to drink cold coffee during the day; unless, it is cold outside then I might reheat it. Now of course I go thru two or three pots per day. Just finishing my second pot right now.

I used to be that way. All day every day. But lately, not so much. Now instead of making a 12 cup pot, I make a 6 cup pot. I love strong black coffee. So strong that it wakes up my ancestors. So reducing the amount of water I use, allows the coffee to be twice as strong. Since I've been doing that, I don't drink near as much.
I'll drink about 5 cups in the morning. Then about 4 or 5pm, I'll heat up the last cup.

B

bertsmobile1

I still use my microwave. It's a must have. For example: Baked potato in the air fryer, like 20 to 30 minutes. Microwave, 6 minutes.

To help conserve electricity, after my coffee has brewed, I turn it off. If need be, I'll heat up a cup in the microwave if I want some later.
LAzy meal
1 potatoe + 1 large onion in the microwave for 90 seconds
Cut a deep cross in each one a slather with herbed butter ( I have about 10 different herbed butters in the fridge ) .
Grew both the onion & the potatoe

Microwaves cook by heating the internal moisture so what goes in needs to be fresh & moist
Better for cooking veggies than meats because they do not seal the outside so the juices are driven off & don't remain within the meat .
Where as veggies are best cooked skin on so the moisture remains within the veggies & the flavours are intensified plus all of the vitamins that are not heat sensitive are retained.
People with auto immune dieseses do have problems because all of the minerals are also retained so for instance people with Lupus that is triggered by the K2 receptors need to boil veggies with hight K contents to remove the K from them
Similar thing for people with high blood pressure that is Na sensitive boiling is the only option if they are to avoid flare ups .
SO you need to be aware of how the method of cooking affects the food you cook because even good food can make your symptoms worse .

PTmowerMech

PTmowerMech

I don't have any steaks. But I found a couple of roasts in the freezer. Turns out, you can even do roast in an air fryer. This man does his on "bake." I would think broil. But no matter, I suppose. It turned out good for him.

StarTech

StarTech

And boy do I hate the no salt diet I am suppose to be on. Cant find anything that has no salt or is low salt.

B

bertsmobile1

ROTFLOL! We think alike on that subject! My favorite line is "Organic? All I eat is organic, 'cause I can't digest gravel!" Ever notice that "organic" produce just doesn't look as appetizing?
It depends upon what you have been conditioned to think " looks appertising " by the advertising agencies working for the cosmetically perfect food industry .
Nearly half of all of the food that is grown is trashed because it does not look like what you have been conditioned the believe it should look like .
I have a customer who raises cattle & pigs all fed on the "trash" rejected by the factory that puts the food in those little plastic trays covered with cling wrap which by the way sends the food off . When you grow yourself you come to understand that about 1 in 5 pieces of fruit is georgious as we have been conditioned to believe in so we will continue to by highly processed "fresh" food from major retailers .
I used to work with photographers & food stylists and I can remember being at the growers markets for an hour or more while the vendor went through tray after tray of avacardos to get a try of photographically perfect fruit . Same thing for stone fruits .
Once you start growing your own it is near impossible to go back to supermarket fruit & veggies again .

B

bertsmobile1

And boy do I hate the no salt diet I am suppose to be on. Cant find anything that has no salt or is low salt.
takes a very long while to to re-educate your tastes so you appreciate unsalted food.
SWMBO had a father with a bad ticker & thus from birth almost has been brought up on a low salt diet.
My dad was a labourer who sweated out salt all day so I was used to a high salt diet.
Finding recipies we could both enjoy was a challenge for a very long time .
Whe I finally started to garden I started to enjoy really fresh foods without salt because we could grow sweet & bitter lettuce for example & use the bitterness of the food itself to balance the palate.
Carrots strait out of the ground have so much more flavour than shop bought ones so you don't need salt to enhance the almost non existent flavour of "beautiful" looking shop bought foods

PTmowerMech

PTmowerMech

I've never been a big fan of salt. So I use more pepper on things I cook. Many times, I don't even add salt. But your right, it's almost impossible to find manufactured or pre prepared food that doesn't have salt added.
You almost have to eat straight from the garden and pasture to get very low salt content. Like homemade butter.
Funny thing, low salt stuff his higher price than salted. They don't add something, and charge you more for it.

PTmowerMech

PTmowerMech

Carrots strait out of the ground have so much more flavour than shop bought ones so you don't need salt to enhance the almost non existent flavour of "beautiful" looking shop bought foods

I had a tough time growing carrots. Not sure why, but hardly any I planted just never came up. But when planting the carrots, my youngest boy wanted to help. (he was like 5ish).
He worried about those things coming up, for days and days. Weeks. Finally, I said screw it, and went bought a bunch of them. Before he got home from school, I'd take them out to the garden and bury a few. The look on his face when he walked into the garden and seen his carrots was priceless.
When he'd pull the ones I'd stuck in the dirt, he'd replant the hole. And repeat the process the next day.

PTmowerMech

PTmowerMech

BTW, speaking of diet. Since white bread and potato's are full of starch, and being that starch turns to sugar in the body, I've gotten to the point that if I eat potato's, I don't eat bread. Or visa versa.

B

bertsmobile1

I had a tough time growing carrots. Not sure why, but hardly any I planted just never came up. But when planting the carrots, my youngest boy wanted to help. (he was like 5ish).
He worried about those things coming up, for days and days. Weeks. Finally, I said screw it, and went bought a bunch of them. Before he got home from school, I'd take them out to the garden and bury a few. The look on his face when he walked into the garden and seen his carrots was priceless.
When he'd pull the ones I'd stuck in the dirt, he'd replant the hole. And repeat the process the next day.
You old softie
Carrot seeds get stuck on strips of toilet paper with a flour & water glue that is made with worm wee .
About 1 seed every 1/2"
The rolls when sealed in airtight bags keep about 3 years so it is not a job you do every day
Pop them in the crisper for a couple of days, weeks , soak in water overnight then simply roll it out on the garden bed & cover with sand or fine earth.
Every week I plant out another strip about 12' long about 2" away from the previous one.
This gives me carrots all year and moves the bed slowly across the veggie patch
Pull 1 in 4 every day from tiny ones a couple of inches long for stir fries ( or air frying ) whole and leaving the end ones to grow out for grating
grated carrot mixed with sultanas and a touch of lemon juice make a really nice sandwich all by itself or add any meat , fish or even an egg if you need some protein .
Keeps in the fridge for about a week

StarTech

StarTech

BTW, speaking of diet. Since white bread and potato's are full of starch, and being that starch turns to sugar in the body, I've gotten to the point that if I eat potato's, I don't eat bread. Or visa versa.
What is bread?

I do have a problem eating those ceramic apples and bananas they just seem lay heavy on my stomach.

I think tomorrow I ask the Kroger produce guy if he got any inorganic potatoes. I probably get the same response when I ask for pet mice food or do you accept federal reverse notes.

PTmowerMech

PTmowerMech

You old softie
Carrot seeds get stuck on strips of toilet paper with a flour & water glue that is made with worm wee .
About 1 seed every 1/2"
The rolls when sealed in airtight bags keep about 3 years so it is not a job you do every day
Pop them in the crisper for a couple of days, weeks , soak in water overnight then simply roll it out on the garden bed & cover with sand or fine earth.
Every week I plant out another strip about 12' long about 2" away from the previous one.
This gives me carrots all year and moves the bed slowly across the veggie patch
Pull 1 in 4 every day from tiny ones a couple of inches long for stir fries ( or air frying ) whole and leaving the end ones to grow out for grating
grated carrot mixed with sultanas and a touch of lemon juice make a really nice sandwich all by itself or add any meat , fish or even an egg if you need some protein .
Keeps in the fridge for about a week

I was extremely tempted to grow a garden where I live now. Very fertile ground, from the looks of it. Problem is, no one raises a garden around here. I was extremely curious about this, since my location now get's enough rain. Unlike east Texas, where from July to early sept, I was watering at least 3 times a week.
Turns out, the deer and hog population is so much so that no gardens can survive up to harvest time. I've been told, that i'd be lucky to get plants 6" out of the ground before I was robbed by the local varmints. Deer will go over a 5" fence. And the hogs will either go under or through it.
But lucky for me, my local grocer had a truck from California or Mexico once a week. That'll keep me in veggies as needed. This includes carrots.

Hammermechanicman

Hammermechanicman

I love when the marketing wanks use terms like All Natural, Organic, Sustainable. None of these type terms have any meaning. The USDA Organic label does mean something but lots of producers use the label Certified Organic but without the USDA in the label and it means nothing. When the yuppie cool kids brag about only buying all natural foods i tell them that uranium ore and asbestos are all natural but i don't want to eat them.

B

bertsmobile1

When they are doing promos for "organic " produce I always like to ask the presenter
What is an inorganic vegetable .
The landlords father grows organic wheat and down here they are really strict with the certification & QC
The has 10,000 acres of buffer paddocks where he grows grain crops but runs live stock through them rather than harvest .
This is the fall out zone of the cotton farmer next door .
The grain growrers are trying to raise enough money to buy the water allocations so the cotton becomes uneconomic.
The cotton farm is of course a USA based massive agri-company and naturally does not care about how much chemical they use , waste or contaminate the neighbours properties with.
Large scale agri business are a disaster for the planet .
So about 1 in 5 of his crops gets downgraded to plain commercial hard wheat & he looses around $ 200 / ton and on a 15,000 ton harvest that is a lot of money particularly when the organically grown crop is 2 years between harvests .
I have a lot of Eco friendly ( in their own minds ) hobby farmers in the service run .
Not a one of them actually understands what they are doing apart from the 2 perma culture set ups so they are beating themselves into oblivion trying to control weeds .
The local council used a lot of cheap fill that was contaminated with sticky nightshade , a weed that produces a berry that contains around 2000 seeds that remain viable for about 40 years ( AFAWK ) and each plant can produce well over 300 berries.
On top of that it will grow from a cutting just left lying on the ground from tubers or even a partial root left behind when pulled up as well as the seeds .

Now that there is no more cheap phos to be wasted from Naru , most family owned farms down here are switching to regenerative farming practices and no till .
The grain growers are doing alternate years of grain & meat so the livestock do most of the fertalizing eating the stubble then whatever is self seeded .
Only take 200 years to understand that rain does not follow the plough and in fact the reverse happens .

H

hlw49

For a bad knee you might try this. Get a 8 lb. ankle weight and wrap it around your ankle sit on something you can swing your lower leg back and forth slightly. Not a lot swing it for 20 to 30 minutes and apply moist heat to it. It may take a while but I did this and it has really helped my knees. Where most people mess up is if the joint hurts they quit using it but that is the wrong thing to do. Joints only get lubrication and nutrients when they move. If you quit using them they will lock up from lack of nutrients.

PTmowerMech

PTmowerMech

Ok, so I cooked the roast last night. And I screwed it up. Mainly by putting two (out of many) types of seasoning on it, that were too salty. Which made the roast taste that way. But, funny thing, I could still taste the other seasonings.
This is something that I highly enjoy about the AF, what ever seasonings you put on the food, you can taste it when it's done cooking. So, despite it being too salty, there was still a lot of flavor (including the meat flavor itself).
After about 30 minutes, the meat temp was still only about 150. I was trying to reach 160. I cut into it, and there was a lot of red left. So, I put it on another 20 minutes and left it. OMG, that was probably 10 minutes too long.
It looked like it was going to be boot leather and just as dry.
But to my surprise, it was very juicy still.

I'm loving this thing.

Cooking tip: Some may have seen those video's where you can dump a ton of salt onto a steak and let it sit for like 1 hr per inch, to tenderize it. I honestly think that works. I did it to this roast. After washing it off, the toughest part of the steak broke open like tender meat, before cooking it. And even though I washed off the salt, adding seasoning with added salt may not have been the reason the roast was so salty. It's possible that the salt that soaked into the roast, you just can't wash out.
My next attempt, I'm going to layer the steak with salt again, but not add any salted seasoning. If it's still salty, then I'll know what actually makes the meat too salty.

StarTech

StarTech

Yes PT meat will absorb salt when soaking which is something you learn in science class. Osmosis is the term for this. In class they can show how salt can move through a membrane to side with no salt. Instead coating the meat solidly with salt use a water brine mix and soak it as lesser amounts of salt transfers to meat [at a slower pace]. Have you ever tried country ham [salt cured]? It is salty as heck which is why I have boil the meat before cooking it to low the salt levels.

You also got watch out for the salt level especially if you got high blood pressure. Here I am on a no salt [extremely low salt] diet because of mine. Everything I try to buy that is low or no salt costs more. It because you get more of what you are buying instead of water. And those Ms Dashes no salt spices are terrible to me.

C

catman606

Well I love all the air frying info. We have one of the round ones that we mainly fix fries and onion rings in, much better than dealing with a skillet of hot grease. I like to reheat pizza in too, leaves it a little crusty instead of limp like the microwave does. As mentioned earlier though, you can't beat a microwave for baked potatoes.

Like to buy one of the oven type air friers that will hold larger items. Doing research right now, the Ninja Foodie has caught my eye. Would make the wife a nice birthday present in April.

B

bertsmobile1

A TV add can cost thousands which has to be recovered from selling the product
Thus nothing advertised on TV excluseivly will be good value
So go to a couple of big electrical retailers or even better small ones that do repairs
They usually keep the better ones because if it does not work, they have to do the repairs .
One of the currently flogged ones down here is actually $ 500 ( legeslation requiring the full price to be shown was overturned a while back ) .
The identical unit from the same factory is $ 220 in retail shops without all of the "free extras " like the cook book worth $ 90

Hammermechanicman

Hammermechanicman

Ron Popiel made a large fortune selling items on TV. He sold the items for what it cost him so no profit on the actual items but made his fortune on shipping and handling fees. He wrote a book telling how he did it and folks still bought his junk on TV. Can't fix stupid.

B

bertsmobile1

friend sells old magazine & newspaper adds on evilbay
It took me nearly 5 years to convince him to buy prepaid mailing tubes in bulk from the post office then when he sells the adds to add the full retail price of the tubes to the sale .
By doing this it guarranteed he would make $ 7 on every sale .
The big thing however was it ended spending hours chopping up old cardboard cartons to make protectors for adds.
Finally he got cartons of zip lock plastic bags , dropped the adds into the bag , sealed the top with sticky tape , roll them up & slip them into the tube so a 10 minute job became a 2 minute job.
It took a long while but eventually he worked out that the fixed profit on P & P was a better bet than a big sale price so if he loaded 1000 items there would be $ 7000 of profit regardless of the sale price so he could stop watching his sales 24 / 7 . load them all up in a single batch which can take a couple of days then not load any more till all of the previous batch had been despatched which made sure multiple purchasers paid at least on P & P from each batch and to space his batches 2 months apart and do each upload as single subject .
And of course because there was going to be a $ 7 profit regardless of the selling price , they all went on with an opening bid of 50¢ to $ 1 so he got a lot more bidders because they looked to be really cheap .
Now a month before his taxes are due, he loads enough items to cover the tax as a single batch .

When I had the transport business we had several small art galleries that sold local , no-name art works
Same story there I charged $ 30 each delivery because the were nearly all after hours going to a persons home
The galleries charged $ 100 to $ 200 for delivery because that is what the professional art movers charged.
Thus a lot of $ 50 paintings made better than $ 100 on the freight and one gallery realized they were on a winner with this so started doing weekly sales in place of monthly sales which allowed them to drastically increase the number of artists they represented so increased the chances of one of them becoming a big time $$$$$ collectors item.

J

Jinglepaws2

I understand why since literally almost everything we eat are processed foods these days and processed foods are always loaded with salt. Manufacturers use salt in place of many more costly ingredients they should be putting in their products which flavor food to increase their profit margins.. God rot their souls. I wish the Government could force them not to shove such high concentrations salt in everything they make. As I've gotten older, for some unknown reason, I've turned into a human salt gieger counter. I taste salt a mile away. My tongue burns and/ or I get a weird, nasty taste in my mouth when there's too much salt in something which happens way too often nowadays. There's salt in almost everything! Who can afford fresh, unprocessed foods today? Boy, I wish I could but it's just to expensive.

Karenballen

Karenballen

I'm glad you took the leap and bought an air fryer after watching all those tutorials. Your first cooking experience sounds delicious! Those stuffed jalapenos must have been a hit, considering you couldn't resist eating seven of them before the chicken was ready. That's the power of a good recipe. It's interesting how using the air fryer brought out the flavors of the seasoning in your chicken. The absence of oil allows the seasoning to shine, making it even more noticeable and tasty. Juicy and flavorful chicken—what more could we ask for? By the way, have you ever considered adding organic mushroom powder to the chicken? It adds a unique flavor.