Air Fryer cooking

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
ROTFLOL! We think alike on that subject! My favorite line is "Organic? All I eat is organic, 'cause I can't digest gravel!" Ever notice that "organic" produce just doesn't look as appetizing?
It depends upon what you have been conditioned to think " looks appertising " by the advertising agencies working for the cosmetically perfect food industry .
Nearly half of all of the food that is grown is trashed because it does not look like what you have been conditioned the believe it should look like .
I have a customer who raises cattle & pigs all fed on the "trash" rejected by the factory that puts the food in those little plastic trays covered with cling wrap which by the way sends the food off . When you grow yourself you come to understand that about 1 in 5 pieces of fruit is georgious as we have been conditioned to believe in so we will continue to by highly processed "fresh" food from major retailers .
I used to work with photographers & food stylists and I can remember being at the growers markets for an hour or more while the vendor went through tray after tray of avacardos to get a try of photographically perfect fruit . Same thing for stone fruits .
Once you start growing your own it is near impossible to go back to supermarket fruit & veggies again .

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
And boy do I hate the no salt diet I am suppose to be on. Cant find anything that has no salt or is low salt.
takes a very long while to to re-educate your tastes so you appreciate unsalted food.
SWMBO had a father with a bad ticker & thus from birth almost has been brought up on a low salt diet.
My dad was a labourer who sweated out salt all day so I was used to a high salt diet.
Finding recipies we could both enjoy was a challenge for a very long time .
Whe I finally started to garden I started to enjoy really fresh foods without salt because we could grow sweet & bitter lettuce for example & use the bitterness of the food itself to balance the palate.
Carrots strait out of the ground have so much more flavour than shop bought ones so you don't need salt to enhance the almost non existent flavour of "beautiful" looking shop bought foods

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
And boy do I hate the no salt diet I am suppose to be on. Cant find anything that has no salt or is low salt.

I've never been a big fan of salt. So I use more pepper on things I cook. Many times, I don't even add salt. But your right, it's almost impossible to find manufactured or pre prepared food that doesn't have salt added.
You almost have to eat straight from the garden and pasture to get very low salt content. Like homemade butter.
Funny thing, low salt stuff his higher price than salted. They don't add something, and charge you more for it.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
Carrots strait out of the ground have so much more flavour than shop bought ones so you don't need salt to enhance the almost non existent flavour of "beautiful" looking shop bought foods

I had a tough time growing carrots. Not sure why, but hardly any I planted just never came up. But when planting the carrots, my youngest boy wanted to help. (he was like 5ish).
He worried about those things coming up, for days and days. Weeks. Finally, I said screw it, and went bought a bunch of them. Before he got home from school, I'd take them out to the garden and bury a few. The look on his face when he walked into the garden and seen his carrots was priceless.
When he'd pull the ones I'd stuck in the dirt, he'd replant the hole. And repeat the process the next day.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
BTW, speaking of diet. Since white bread and potato's are full of starch, and being that starch turns to sugar in the body, I've gotten to the point that if I eat potato's, I don't eat bread. Or visa versa.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I had a tough time growing carrots. Not sure why, but hardly any I planted just never came up. But when planting the carrots, my youngest boy wanted to help. (he was like 5ish).
He worried about those things coming up, for days and days. Weeks. Finally, I said screw it, and went bought a bunch of them. Before he got home from school, I'd take them out to the garden and bury a few. The look on his face when he walked into the garden and seen his carrots was priceless.
When he'd pull the ones I'd stuck in the dirt, he'd replant the hole. And repeat the process the next day.
You old softie
Carrot seeds get stuck on strips of toilet paper with a flour & water glue that is made with worm wee .
About 1 seed every 1/2"
The rolls when sealed in airtight bags keep about 3 years so it is not a job you do every day
Pop them in the crisper for a couple of days, weeks , soak in water overnight then simply roll it out on the garden bed & cover with sand or fine earth.
Every week I plant out another strip about 12' long about 2" away from the previous one.
This gives me carrots all year and moves the bed slowly across the veggie patch
Pull 1 in 4 every day from tiny ones a couple of inches long for stir fries ( or air frying ) whole and leaving the end ones to grow out for grating
grated carrot mixed with sultanas and a touch of lemon juice make a really nice sandwich all by itself or add any meat , fish or even an egg if you need some protein .
Keeps in the fridge for about a week

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
BTW, speaking of diet. Since white bread and potato's are full of starch, and being that starch turns to sugar in the body, I've gotten to the point that if I eat potato's, I don't eat bread. Or visa versa.
What is bread?

I do have a problem eating those ceramic apples and bananas they just seem lay heavy on my stomach.

I think tomorrow I ask the Kroger produce guy if he got any inorganic potatoes. I probably get the same response when I ask for pet mice food or do you accept federal reverse notes.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
You old softie
Carrot seeds get stuck on strips of toilet paper with a flour & water glue that is made with worm wee .
About 1 seed every 1/2"
The rolls when sealed in airtight bags keep about 3 years so it is not a job you do every day
Pop them in the crisper for a couple of days, weeks , soak in water overnight then simply roll it out on the garden bed & cover with sand or fine earth.
Every week I plant out another strip about 12' long about 2" away from the previous one.
This gives me carrots all year and moves the bed slowly across the veggie patch
Pull 1 in 4 every day from tiny ones a couple of inches long for stir fries ( or air frying ) whole and leaving the end ones to grow out for grating
grated carrot mixed with sultanas and a touch of lemon juice make a really nice sandwich all by itself or add any meat , fish or even an egg if you need some protein .
Keeps in the fridge for about a week

I was extremely tempted to grow a garden where I live now. Very fertile ground, from the looks of it. Problem is, no one raises a garden around here. I was extremely curious about this, since my location now get's enough rain. Unlike east Texas, where from July to early sept, I was watering at least 3 times a week.
Turns out, the deer and hog population is so much so that no gardens can survive up to harvest time. I've been told, that i'd be lucky to get plants 6" out of the ground before I was robbed by the local varmints. Deer will go over a 5" fence. And the hogs will either go under or through it.
But lucky for me, my local grocer had a truck from California or Mexico once a week. That'll keep me in veggies as needed. This includes carrots.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
I love when the marketing wanks use terms like All Natural, Organic, Sustainable. None of these type terms have any meaning. The USDA Organic label does mean something but lots of producers use the label Certified Organic but without the USDA in the label and it means nothing. When the yuppie cool kids brag about only buying all natural foods i tell them that uranium ore and asbestos are all natural but i don't want to eat them.

Last edited:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
When they are doing promos for "organic " produce I always like to ask the presenter
What is an inorganic vegetable .
The landlords father grows organic wheat and down here they are really strict with the certification & QC
The has 10,000 acres of buffer paddocks where he grows grain crops but runs live stock through them rather than harvest .
This is the fall out zone of the cotton farmer next door .
The grain growrers are trying to raise enough money to buy the water allocations so the cotton becomes uneconomic.
The cotton farm is of course a USA based massive agri-company and naturally does not care about how much chemical they use , waste or contaminate the neighbours properties with.
Large scale agri business are a disaster for the planet .
So about 1 in 5 of his crops gets downgraded to plain commercial hard wheat & he looses around $ 200 / ton and on a 15,000 ton harvest that is a lot of money particularly when the organically grown crop is 2 years between harvests .
I have a lot of Eco friendly ( in their own minds ) hobby farmers in the service run .
Not a one of them actually understands what they are doing apart from the 2 perma culture set ups so they are beating themselves into oblivion trying to control weeds .
The local council used a lot of cheap fill that was contaminated with sticky nightshade , a weed that produces a berry that contains around 2000 seeds that remain viable for about 40 years ( AFAWK ) and each plant can produce well over 300 berries.
On top of that it will grow from a cutting just left lying on the ground from tubers or even a partial root left behind when pulled up as well as the seeds .

Now that there is no more cheap phos to be wasted from Naru , most family owned farms down here are switching to regenerative farming practices and no till .
The grain growers are doing alternate years of grain & meat so the livestock do most of the fertalizing eating the stubble then whatever is self seeded .
Only take 200 years to understand that rain does not follow the plough and in fact the reverse happens .