Air Fryer cooking

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Chips = potatoe cut into sliced lenght ways then rotated 90 deg and cut again
Probably similar to your french fries but generally about 1/2" square where as french fries are usually about 1/4" square.

Chicken portions are very cheap because they are factory processed for take away chains like KFC in mamouth volumes
Whole chicken is a much smaller market
Although how a 1kg breast can be said to come from a chicken and not an old chook is a bit beyond me
Same as 1 kg veal steaks .
Veal was traditionally the make calfs born in a dairy heard , raised for 1 month then sold for meat .
Food fashions are really funny.
As a kit I ate a lot of lamb shanks & pigs trotters because they were the cheapest meat one could buy apart from a bag of dog bones.
Now days they are dearer than sirloin steak.
The local butcher gets me liver & kidney when he is doing proper butchery on a complete carcase but even they are becoming expensive because the pet food industry can not keep up supply.
The dogs get table scraps + some kibble but one of the first things that supermarkets run out of is dog & cat food .

I use two things to soothe back ache
1) very hot shower for as long as I can take it then lay dead flat on a hard surface with my hands clasped outstretched above my head but still on the floor till I cool down
2) hang upside down off the chin up bar by my knees till the blood pressure in my head becomes too much to take, again with my arms at full stretch.

Both of these were taught to me by a spinal surgeon and they supposedly cause the vertebra to separate so the discs can inflate again.
When I get off the chin up bar I am about 1.5" taller so it obviously works to a point .
You can buy really expensive inversion tables but a chin up bar seems to work well for me but you do need some thing soft to fall onto & you have to be careful that you don't come off & land on your head .

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
What I like is the waffle fries.

What a lot people don't understand cut meats is sometimes they a savage parts from less than premium grade. Chickens are a good example if what I seen working in mass production chicken houses.

Bert you right how things changed over the years. Can't even get pork neck-bones cheap any more. And forget about getting Oxtails. About the only way is to buy meat in bulk and process it yourself. When I am looking chicken drumsticks or thighs I just buy a buy of leg quarters. Cut them up and the back sections for soups and stews; although, the way I cut them they are also good breaded and fried or bake.

Ahhh inversion therapy.

Jinglepaws2

Forum Newbie
Threads
I got converted to air frying 3 to 4 years ago and never looked back. I have a Phillips air fryer as well as a Ninja Foodie Grill. I LOVE my Ninja grill the best. It makes great steaks and burgers with grill marks and no smoke but then you can turn around and bake, broil, dehydrate in it as well. Air frying cooks and browns where a microwave rubberizes food and warms, no comparison. Microwaves no longer have any place in my kitchen. As a good general starting point to convert oven recipes to air fry, I knock 50° off the temperature and 30% off the cooking time.

VRR.DYNDNS>BIZ

Threads
I got to watching a lot of air fryer cooking because a friend of mine said she loved hers. And has all but stopped using her oven and frying food in oil. Curiosity finally got the better of me, so I watched a lot of video's of tutorials on cooking my favorites. Friend chicken, stuff jalapeno's and a few others.
I rarely ran across a bad review. Or seen many bad comments about air fryer, so I bought one.

Yesterday, I cooked for the first time on it. 8 stuffed jalapeno's and batter fried chicken. I ended up eating 7 of the jalapeno's before the chicken was ready. They turned out so darn good.
The chicken, needs a little detail in describing. It was very good. But the first couple of bites weren't exactly as I was expecting. Normally, I season the flour, drop my chicken in milk & egg, then drop it into the zip lock baggie, with the seasoned flour. Then put it into a hot cast iron skillet and fry it like that. I did the same exact thing, only put it into the air fryer. The taste was very good. The difference was I could actually taste the seasoning. Where as when you skillet fry chicken, the seasoning taste isn't near as noticeable. I suppose the oil taste overrides the seasoning, or something to that effect. But in the air fryer, I could clearly taste the seasoning. And the chicken was still very juicy.
Now, FYI, I LOVE the taste of chicken fried in oil. It's what I grew up with.

I've going to try a sirloin steak in it this week. The tutorials i've watched on those also show the streaks coming out very juicy.

Anyone else use an air fryer?
love it

RolandW

Threads
I got my wife one for Christmas and she's been using it almost every day. Brand name is Cosori. Chicken is very good. Steaks are the next best thing to grilled outside, plus it doesn't stink up the house the way broiling them in the regular oven does. Some things aren't necessarily better than in the oven; just faster. We've been eating way too many frozen french fries and onion rings made in it. They probably aren't very good for you regardless of how they're prepared. I recommend using a meat thermometer religiously if you're not confident about cooking times.

DWKane

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have two of them...a small one and a medium sized one (both very basic...no rotisserie etc) and use them all the time. Chicken, beef, fish , potatoes, etc....love them.

For many foods which may drip or ooze...I use a piece of parchment paper underneath (not too big or it will block air flow and/or get caught in the heating coil)

Last edited:

OCFarmer

Forum Newbie
Threads
To me it is all organic as I don't rubber chickens.
ROTFLOL! We think alike on that subject! My favorite line is "Organic? All I eat is organic, 'cause I can't digest gravel!" Ever notice that "organic" produce just doesn't look as appetizing?

Samsonlite

Forum Newbie
Threads
This airfryer info has been good to hear. I purchased one for my SO and we have only used the microwave part (which took some experiment/learning). I had wondered if it the expense was worth the (my) money. We shall see. I'll need to push her some....

I recently got a good deal at an estate on a 2012 JD D170 with an oil leak. It turned out to be the gasket had been partially sucked into the sump pan. --How does that happen? I can say it was "sucked in" because parts of it were inside the sump.

I learned a lot about the engine in the process, such as to double check the lip of the seal, is it all turned inward or maybe even all turned outward! Then I learned that what I thought was a tight enough clutch bolt via my arm muscle, didn't quite do it. Evidently, the slot in the clutch housing had not totally accepted the frame's tab, so the assembly was not secure. The bolt loosened, dropping the clutch down from the frame tab holding it motionless, allowing the whole thing to spin. That pulled the cable from the harness connector and destroyed it.
I learned from some online sleuthing that, WarnerPTO@Altramotion.com makes mower clutches and cables and that 50fps was the correct amount of tightening on my clutch bolt. The short cable was only $12.25 which included shipping which took only three days! Their phone no. is 1-888-274-3718.
I found online info on JD parts to be restricted and not very helpful as they strongly control their parts. But if it is an engine problem or tranny problem go directly to the engine or tranny maker. For example, Parts Tree, virtually in my back yard, doesn't display the JD logo at all, but with the engine numbers, you can work around that and still look up parts.

Last edited:

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
I use mine almost every day. My prized cast iron skillet doesn't get the use it once did.View attachment 59390View attachment 59391
Chicken tenders and onion rings.

I was amazed at how it browns the batter. Although, I've learned, at least with chicken, it's best to spray it with a little oil. The chicken I cooked the other day, after the chicken was cooked, some of the flour was still white.
Onion rings. Now that's a good idea.