Age old question, Winter Storage?

parabians

Forum Newbie
Threads
I produced hay on 40 acres for over 30 years in North Texas. I used ethanol fuel that was available locally. Non-ethanol isn't easily found in rural towns with 450 people with 40 miles between identical small towns. My ag motors, along with my lawn equipment, were Sea Foam treated. This stuff works. Every tankfull. I rarely drain the gas. In spring, after a 5 month winter downtime, all started with little to no problem. I retired to the mountains of Oregon, downsized to 15 acres of hay, and I continue to use Sea Form. Bigger ag equipment like my JD 5210 utility tractor and diesels, I run that equipment weekly during winter for potential cold-weather and snow related work.

peejo50

Threads
I live in northeast Ohio and have 11 pieces of gas- and diesel-powered equipment, plus several chainsaws. I maintain my batteries but do nothing for the fuel systems. The only problem I have ever encountered was a rodent, (chipmunk or squirrel), chewing through a gas line and emptying a tank of gas.
Do what works for you and makes you feel comfortable with your equipment.

rhiebert

Threads
Live in SW Virginia with a 4 month moderately cold winter and I keep my Cub Cadet 42 tractor in a shed with a push Honda mower. The tractor battery stays in tact but I do keep it connected to a battery tender.
Is it better to complete run the engines dry of fuel (with an empty tank) or, as I have read elsewhere, fill the tanks with conditioned fuel to minimize any possible condensation?
The Honda push mower has a fuel shut off valve ( as does my Honda generator) however the tractor does not, in case any of that matters? Thanks
Concur with replies about ethanol and stabilizers but I would also add the suggestion of using quality synthetic engine oil that has and is the S.A.E. viscosity the owner's manual shows.

Gord Baker

Threads
I can only express my experience.......how long has there been ethanol gas? 15-20 years? Never, ever, have had any issue with mowers, lawn tractors, snow blowers, chain saws, weed whackers........ I only started using some
Stabil a couple years ago because a neighbor was moving and gave me a couple of bottles. So I suppose others have had different experiences, but me? None, at all. Couple pulls next season and never an issue. Maybe I am just luckly. So, no one has gotten any of my money, and the last time I had repairs done by a shop? Let's see? That would be never. I recognize that if someone does not want to risk having to pay for repairs that are potentially caused by ethanol fuel, their lowest overall cost is paying for presumably preventive measures. i understand that, but my experience and common sense observations do not indicate ethanol fuels are all that bad if you use the fuel before it sits for long periods of time. 30 days seems trival as an issue in my experience. I have had gallon jugs sit over the winter in the garage when it didnt snow much and when put into the spring time ready to go lawn mower with its last fall gas, couple pulls and off and running. I guess everyone's experience is different. I have never heard a good explanation of why ethanol gas can't sit for a short while or why its bad in its fresh condition for any engine. The only explanations I have gotten is......I was told its bad......
Bob:
If you watch the many Utube small engine Repair guys like tarryl and Dony boy and B. Pender you will see the gel like substance that forms in the float bowl, emulsion tube etc. Glad you have not had a problem. I don't risk it in Southern Ontario. Perhaps you live in a less humid area. A tightly sealed Full Container is best for storage.

hotajax

Threads
Live in SW Virginia with a 4 month moderately cold winter and I keep my Cub Cadet 42 tractor in a shed with a push Honda mower. The tractor battery stays in tact but I do keep it connected to a battery tender.
Is it better to complete run the engines dry of fuel (with an empty tank) or, as I have read elsewhere, fill the tanks with conditioned fuel to minimize any possible condensation?
The Honda push mower has a fuel shut off valve ( as does my Honda generator) however the tractor does not, in case any of that matters? Thanks
Drain the E10 from the tanks of the Cub and the Honda. Refill with Ethanol free gas. Run it for a while to get the efree gas through the fuel pump and carb. You're done. Just start the tractor every three weeks or so over the winter to keep seals moist. You're done and will have a simple start up come spring. Go have a beer.

PGB1

Threads
I'm no mechanic, but I use fuel stabilizer always. When the fuel is 4 months old, I dump it in a vehicle to dilute it with the gas in that vehicle's larger tank.
If the oil will be due for changing before next use or is close to due now, I'll change it before storing (& after storage).

Storage- What I've done for decades to all of my small engine equipment that won't be used again soon:
Remove as much fuel as possible from the tank.
Run until stall from lack of fuel. Switch ignition to "Off".
If it has a float bowl type carburetor, drain it manually.
Remove spark plug(s) and put a drop or two of engine oil in the cylinder(s)
Make the pistons go through some cycles by cranking or pulling the starter rope. This spreads the oil.

If rope start- Pull until firm resistance is felt. This is the compression stroke & the valves are all closed (Keeps moisture out)
If electrical start, there may be a place on your machine to manually turn the crank with a bar or wrench.

Remove the vented cap from the gasoline tank and lay a piece of a nitrile glove across the opening. Screw the cap back on, squishing the glove into the threads. This keeps moisture and tiny insects from using the vent openings as an entrance. (Plastic food wrap melts from residual fumes. Plastic grocery bags dry & crack into pieces.)

This might sound tedious, but repairs are tedious, too. My stuff always starts right up after storage and some equipment is over 40 years old with nothing but preventative maintenance done.
Paul

MarineBob

Threads
Bob:
If you watch the many Utube small engine Repair guys like tarryl and Dony boy and B. Pender you will see the gel like substance that forms in the float bowl, emulsion tube etc. Glad you have not had a problem. I don't risk it in Southern Ontario. Perhaps you live in a less humid area. A tightly sealed Full Container is best for storage.
If its on YouTube, it must be accurate......

Rickcin

Threads
With an almost full tank there is minimal air which contains moisture. Turn off or block Fuel line and run it til it stalls. You did good. The Lieberals have banned Ethanol Free fuel in all of Canada. Idiots.
The craziness to ban ethanol fuels are those who have no ability to read and learn, however that and those people are why this country has been heading downhill at an ever increasing rate!

Rickcin

Threads
I can only express my experience.......how long has there been ethanol gas? 15-20 years? Never, ever, have had any issue with mowers, lawn tractors, snow blowers, chain saws, weed whackers........ I only started using some
Stabil a couple years ago because a neighbor was moving and gave me a couple of bottles. So I suppose others have had different experiences, but me? None, at all. Couple pulls next season and never an issue. Maybe I am just luckly. So, no one has gotten any of my money, and the last time I had repairs done by a shop? Let's see? That would be never. I recognize that if someone does not want to risk having to pay for repairs that are potentially caused by ethanol fuel, their lowest overall cost is paying for presumably preventive measures. i understand that, but my experience and common sense observations do not indicate ethanol fuels are all that bad if you use the fuel before it sits for long periods of time. 30 days seems trival as an issue in my experience. I have had gallon jugs sit over the winter in the garage when it didnt snow much and when put into the spring time ready to go lawn mower with its last fall gas, couple pulls and off and running. I guess everyone's experience is different. I have never heard a good explanation of why ethanol gas can't sit for a short while or why its bad in its fresh condition for any engine. The only explanations I have gotten is......I was told its bad......
Agreed, however fuel without ethanol (corn) is more efficient and produces better results than what the government has mandated and as long as I can easily obtain it, it’s my preferred fuel.