Age old question, Winter Storage?

Rickcin

Threads
Live in SW Virginia with a 4 month moderately cold winter and I keep my Cub Cadet 42 tractor in a shed with a push Honda mower. The tractor battery stays in tact but I do keep it connected to a battery tender.
Is it better to complete run the engines dry of fuel (with an empty tank) or, as I have read elsewhere, fill the tanks with conditioned fuel to minimize any possible condensation?
The Honda push mower has a fuel shut off valve ( as does my Honda generator) however the tractor does not, in case any of that matters? Thanks

jdwalsh

Forum Newbie
Threads
Battery Tender is a brand of battery maintainer (smart charger). I too run my equipment dry of gas (which I will dose with Sta-Bil to keep diaphragms from sticking/hardening. Although I have bought fogging oil, I have only used it in chainsaws that wouldn't be used for years.

Rickcin

Threads
Battery Tender is a brand of battery maintainer (smart charger). I too run my equipment dry of gas (which I will dose with Sta-Bil to keep diaphragms from sticking/hardening. Although I have bought fogging oil, I have only used it in chainsaws that wouldn't be used for years.
Not sure what the proper name is, however it works as a trickle charger, maintains the current in the battery while it is not in use.

fj5gtx

Threads
Its the ethanol content in the fuel that tends to cause issues for winter storage. In PA we can purchase ethanol free fuel from select gas stations. I usually run the mower on the ethanol free for the last couple tanks before storing it. It is also wise to cut the fuel flow and let the engine die of starvation when you park it, that tends to leave the fuel bowl pretty much empty.

Rickcin

Threads
Its the ethanol content in the fuel that tends to cause issues for winter storage. In PA we can purchase ethanol free fuel from select gas stations. I usually run the mower on the ethanol free for the last couple tanks before storing it. It is also wise to cut the fuel flow and let the engine die of starvation when you park it, that tends to leave the fuel bowl pretty much empty.
I only use ethanol free gasoline and I always add stabilizer. Last year I left the lawn tractor with an almost full fuel tank and it started right up in the spring but not sure if that’s the best thing to do?

fj5gtx

Threads
I wouldn't intentionally store it full, but with stabilizer it shouldn't really matter. The fuel can go a little stale and still be viable for use when its in the tank. You want to protect agaisnt corrosion or fuel gelling in the carb, that is what ruins your spring start. That is why I said cut the fuel flow; you can add a fuel shut off valve for a couple bucks if yours doesn't have one.

Rickcin

Threads
I wouldn't intentionally store it full, but with stabilizer it shouldn't really matter. The fuel can go a little stale and still be viable for use when its in the tank. You want to protect agaisnt corrosion or fuel gelling in the carb, that is what ruins your spring start. That is why I said cut the fuel flow; you can add a fuel shut off valve for a couple bucks if yours doesn't have one.
So just closing the valve and running it dry is best?
I wanted a fuel valve but not confident to cut one in, concerned with having a leak!

fj5gtx

Threads
Getting the carb dry is good for even long term storage. I'd still not put ethanol fuel in it at the end of season, but admittedly I've gotten away with it w/o issue. Go grab a valve from the hardware store and cut the rubber line in a good spot for the valve. Get a couple 1/4" hose clamps (the spring type ones) and install it. It won't leak ! :)

aceValveKit.jpg

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Used to run everything dry several years ago. Noticed trimmer lines and mower lines would get hard from being dry for a couple months. Was a yearly or bi-yearly chore replacing fuel lines.

Started using Stabil fuel stabilizer year round. Even use during mowing season. Reason is I never have to remember how old the fuel is like before.

Now 1-3 pulls in the spring and I'm off cutting grass. Never had any more fuel or hose issues again. I run 100% 87 octane unleaded in all OPE equipment. Going strong for about 7-8 years now this way.