Comparison Advice Needed: Looking to buy new Scag ZTR

db52282

Forum Newbie
Threads
New to the forum.

Looking to buy my first Scag ZTR mower and would like some advice from the experts.

INFO:
1. I absolutely want a SCAG commercial grade mower
2. I have 3 places to cut:
Primary residence (1 ac. flat terrain)
Rental house #1 (1 ac. mostly flat terrain)
Rental house #2 (4 ac. mostly flat but some bumpy terrain with some thick grasses and lots of obstacles)
3. Will be cutting primary residence and rental house #1 every 2 weeks during season
4. Will be cutting rental house #2 every 4 weeks during season
5. Will be looking at 52" deck

Based on the specs shown above ... which model (AND WHY) would you recommend? (Tiger Cat, Cheetah, or Turf Tiger)

Thanks in advance!!!

jekjr

Lawn Addict
Threads
New to the forum.

Looking to buy my first Scag ZTR mower and would like some advice from the experts.

INFO:
Rental house #2 (4 ac. mostly flat but some bumpy terrain with some thick grasses and lots of obstacles)
3. Will be cutting primary residence and rental house #1 every 2 weeks during season

Based on the specs shown above ... which model (AND WHY) would you recommend? (Tiger Cat, Cheetah, or Turf Tiger)

Thanks in advance!!!

I run an operation in South Alabama. I operate two Tiger Cat mowers with 52" decks. I personally have not found anything that I like better. I have not operated a Cheeta but I actually have a Turf Tiger demonstrator right now that I am trying out. it has a 61" deck.

I have also demonstrated a Turf Tiger before.

We cut properties from very small to numerous acres. Some days we cut over 20 acres in a day.

In my opinion a person can get a Tiger Cat with the Kawasaki motor and he will not go wrong. In my opinion the $$$ difference in the others is not economically sound. I might go ahead and buy a Tiger Cat with a 61" deck in the future. For us the Tiger Cat is so much more maneuverable, it is lighter, it does less turf damage, it will handle wet conditions better, and is a great all around mower.

Hope that helps. If there is anything else I can help you with feel free to ask.

jekjr

Lawn Addict
Threads
New to the forum.

Thanks in advance!!!

If you want a 52" deck Tiger Cat is a no brainer. Tiger Cat and Turf Tiger would be major overkill in my opinion.

db52282

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks Jekjr!!!

I have actually used a friends older Tiger Cub and was sold on Scag mowers at that time. His Tiger Cub was extremely used (and possibly abused) but just kept on going. He is a forester and uses his equipment (like a landscaper) to make a living. I respect his opinion and he sold me on Scag.

I like the Tiger Cat but really like the Turf Tiger too. I like the fact that it has a shaft drive to connect the deck. It seems like that would be less to worry about (regarding belts) but could also require more maintenance because of complexity. I'm a stickler with maintenance and enjoy taking care of my equipment.

Since I am buying new ... there is a $2600 difference between the Tiger Cat and Turf Tiger mowers based on a quote from local dealer.

That would buy a LOT of parts and gas if I got a Tiger Cat.

Thanks for the advise!!

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
New to the forum.

INFO:

Thanks in advance!!!

Since you already said I absolutely want a SCAG commercial grade mower there isn't a whole lot of advice anyone can give you. If I was to give you advice it would be to go look at some other mowers before you drop the money on a Scag, not that it's not a good mower but there are others out there that are just as good if not better. Like Exmark, Toro, Hustler. I'd shop around a little and Demo some others.

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
The Turf Tiger with a horizontal shaft engine, has gear boxes and a drive shaft included in the deck drive system, the shaft is driven by a V belt at the engine mounted clutch and at the deck the shaft drives the deck V belt.
The Tiger Cat with a vertical shaft engine has a deck drive V belt and a deck V belt. The deck drive V belt although under the machine, is fairly easy to replace.
I've never owned a Turf Tiger but I've serviced some for customers over the years, they are no doubt a fine machine with lots of them in use. Having used one of my customers Turf Tigers at several of my own lawn customers places, I decided to go with a Tiger Cub as it is smaller and more maneuverable for the type on lawns that I regularly do. The Turf Tiger that I used had a 61" deck which was too wide and scalped too much on the uneven areas that I encounter. My 2008 Tiger Cub has a 48" deck with a Scag collection system installed and used about 90% of the time.
If you need to transport the machine, then deck width is a consideration loading and off loading in a trailer.
The Tiger Cub upgraded to a Tiger Cat when Scag made the model change and also discontinued the Wildcat model. The Tiger Cat includes all of what a Tiger Cub was with some of the upgrades that were found on Wildcat models.
Scag has also come out with a Tiger Cat II which has some refinements above the Tiger Cat, specifically the electrical/electronic panel, fuel gauge, disc brakes, foot operated brake/parking brake, four position deck leveling.
You may also consider looking at the Scag Patriot which is a new model in the commercial entry level. What is nice about the Patriot although it is an entry level machine is has a high level engine.
I also have a Hustler X-ONE 60" rear discharge deck, Kawasaki FX730V engine and Hustler upper level machines are excellent.
Hustler machines have the parking brake incorporated into the control levers and when extended out, the parking brake is on. If you need to get on and off the machine during mowing operations, the Hustler parking brake system is the easiest.
Just a few thoughts from Mad Mackie in CT:laughing::biggrin::smile:

88bradb

Threads
Since you already said I absolutely want a SCAG commercial grade mower there isn't a whole lot of advice anyone can give you. If I was to give you advice it would be to go look at some other mowers before you drop the money on a Scag, not that it's not a good mower but there are others out there that are just as good if not better. Like Exmark, Toro, Hustler. I'd shop around a little and Demo some others.

There are probably a few good brands of ZTR mowers out there that are comparable to the SCAG.I think the best thing to do is to make sure to get a COMMERCIAL unit.I think a lot of people trust the reputation and fact that SCAG has been doing this longer than most ZTR mowers on the market right now.

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
Having gained experience with ZTRs, I've come to some conclusions about them and basic recommendations for perspective ZTR buyers.
Tight turns will tear up turf, larger diameter and wider tires reduce turf damage.
As most ZTRs are ridged frame machines with no suspension, they are hard riding.
A suspension seat increases operator comfort as compared to the basic seat.
ZTRs are dusty by nature of their design, an engine with increased air filtration is recommended.
Unless you are operating on absolutely flat and smooth lawns, maximum ground speed of the machine will not be attained.
As there is no direct control of the front wheels, ZTRs will slide sideways unexpectedly on hills.
Being specialized machines for mowing, they don't do much else very well.
They have a very limited towing capacity, usually 250 LBS max.
The ZTRs that have electrically actuated deck height adjusting are slow to react and difficult to return back to a specific deck height.
Foot actuated deck height systems are quicker to temporarily raise up to pass over hard objects.
Generally the decks are not easily removed from the machine.
No matter how the blades are attached to the spindles, the machine front must be raised up to do blade changes and under deck cleaning.
Support your local dealer and they will generally support your needs.
Once familiar with the machine, mowing time will decrease.
Read and understand the operators manual, read it again!!!
I'm not bad mouthing ZTRs, but having been a garden tractor operator for many years, I went thru moments with my first ZTR that were frustrating for me.
It took me a long time to get acclimated to ZTR operations, now I won't be without a ZTR.
I do get long winded at times, this will end soon as the mowing season has started.
Enjoy!!!:laughing:

jac233

Threads
Did you consider a Freedom Z Pro? Based on your volume, it seems that would suffice and you probably will save some $$.

db52282

Forum Newbie
Threads
Did you consider a Freedom Z Pro? Based on your volume, it seems that would suffice and you probably will save some $$.

jac233, yes I did consider a Freedom Z. It is, in my opinion an excellent machine but I don't think it come with the Velocity deck that is on the commercial units.
Also, I am looking at picking up some more rental units and my cutting volume will increase. The extra $$ certainly are a consideration but not high on the list of concerns since I can expense the unit to my real estate business.

Thanks for the suggestion!!!