Repairs Adding analog hourmeter scag

Knots

Threads
Any known problems adding analog hourmeter to the pto circuit on a Scag TurfTiger with Kawasaki water cooled DFI
Engine? I don't want to do any harm to the engine management system. I would like to count only the hours spent actually mowing. The digital meter that comes on the machine is junk and is also extremely hard to read.
Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Knots

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
It seems to me you should be all right if you install the gauge per the mfgr instructions on its own circuit with good wiring , ground and fuse. I am about to put on a digital oil temp gauge. I would pull down an instruction booklet on line (if avail) and even call the techie if one is available. Sounds like you will tap the switched 12v line but they should give you a schematic. Some comments here , pls.

Junk is often an accurate word for unscreened (electronic)parts. I would look hard at any warranty and assume the longer ones are based upon better parts. I would also try to cushion the mounting of your gauge. I am going to get a 50mm mounting pod (auto) because my Husqy does not have a good place on its dash . I plan to mount the pod on foam rubber to filter out (some of) the shock. Keep your gauge in cool air. The analog may be all mechanical and so my comments on the (electronic) parts may not apply.

Edit I remembered something you could do if concerned about your onboard electronic system. You can run your supply line inside a shield. Sounds exotic but could be inside a piece of brake line. Maybe even inside a co-ax (shielded )tv cable if there is room. Short of that make sure you twist the supply (12V) line every couple inches around any other line you piggy back on. This reduces the tendency to generate so called stray signals which could be picked up by the on board electronics. IMO

Last edited:

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
. I would like to count only the hours spent actually mowing. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

If that is the case hook it up to the PTO clutch circuit. An hour meter draws very few amps. so it wouldn't effect the PTO in any way.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The above post will give you the hours mowing
Hook it up to the alternator output wire if you want the hours the engine is running.

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
Most if not all Turf Tigers have the hourmeter connected to the PTO switch and will only clock mower running time.
No doubt that Scag has had problems with their hourmeters. After two Scag hourmeters crapped out on me I finally went with a Hobbs/Honeywell analog hourmeter. The Hobbs meter is rectangular and will fit into the same hole, just need to drill two small holes for the screws that hold the meter in place.
PA260008.JPG

tigercat

Threads
With my new Hopps/Honeywell meter, I always remove the key to my machine to prevent the key being left in the on position causing the hour meter to click time when the machine is sitting in the garage...

Knots

Threads
I intend to tap into the dark blue wire from the pto switch to the clutch. This, according to the schematic, should give me the running time with the deck engaged. This is what I am after.

thanks,
Knots

Threads
Mad Mackie you have the part number on that hour meter? That's what I'm looking for I think, just plug it in using original plugs?

tigercat

Threads
Mad Mackie you have the part number on that hour meter? That's what I'm looking for I think, just plug it in using original plugs?

This is the exact part you are looking for.

Brand Name Honeywell
Part Number 085094 44

Threads
Honeywell 085094 44 Ebay $92.00 Zoro $51.69 sound right? Amazon says Hobbs on face $19.95