42" Timecutter (75742) blade torque

efred

Threads
Thank U, My 1/2" impact is about 30 years old, & I check it against one of my torque wrenches to be pretty accurate..
You can buy torque rods/extensions, that only allow a pre-engineered amount of torque when used with an impact wrench. That way, with your impact wrench at maximum, it will only torque to what it is designed. They're not too expensive, and most tool companies will sell them, either as a kit, or individually.

oneoldsap

Threads
You can buy torque rods/extensions, that only allow a pre-engineered amount of torque when used with an impact wrench. That way, with your impact wrench at maximum, it will only torque to what it is designed. They're not too expensive, and most tool companies will sell them, either as a kit, or individually.

swapping out the blades on my Timecutter 42" (75742) and the manual says to torque the blades on between 60-80lb. I have a torque wrench and was only able so far to get about 35-40 lb of force laying on the ground with one arm (other one holding the blade). was gonna try the wood block trick or throwing on one of those arnold blade removal tools to hold the blade so i can put some more force behind the wrench. curious how many lb's everyone usually puts on their blades w/ this series to be safe

oneoldsap

Threads
swapping out the blades on my Timecutter 42" (75742) and the manual says to torque the blades on between 60-80lb. I have a torque wrench and was only able so far to get about 35-40 lb of force laying on the ground with one arm (other one holding the blade). was gonna try the wood block trick or throwing on one of those arnold blade removal tools to hold the blade so i can put some more force behind the wrench. curious how many lb's everyone usually puts on their blades w/ this series to be safe
Just snug them up as best you can , they will tighten themselves .

apg1979

Threads
Just snug them up as best you can , they will tighten themselves .
ya know i thought about that too....will that tightening happen just when in use or more when theres resistance on the blade (grass, sticks, etc)? so in my case since I have a torque wrench and the manual suggests 60-80lbs of torque, setting at the minimum (60 ) i'd be fine since it falls within the range and should nudge up on its own

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
ya know i thought about that too....will that tightening happen just when in use or more when theres resistance on the blade (grass, sticks, etc)? so in my case since I have a torque wrench and the manual suggests 60-80lbs of torque, setting at the minimum (60 ) i'd be fine since it falls within the range and should nudge up on its own
60-80 ft lbs isn’t a lot. 75 ft lbs should be plenty. The forces applied to the blades as they are turning can tighten them. I just follow the recommended torque values.

Lawn Addict
Threads
Very true..

apg1979

Threads
60-80 ft lbs isn’t a lot. 75 ft lbs should be plenty. The forces applied to the blades as they are turning can tighten them. I just follow the recommended torque values.
cool thanks! i'll work w/ 75 ......i noticed a lot of other riders mention 30-50 for recommendations and mine is 60-80. are zero turns in general higher than a standard rider or just varies from vendor to vendor?

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
cool thanks! i'll work w/ 75 ......i noticed a lot of other riders mention 30-50 for recommendations and mine is 60-80. are zero turns in general higher than a standard rider or just varies from vendor to vendor?
bolt size, thread and hardness of materials. Just use the manufacturer's recommendation. If something is 60 - 80 then I go 70. If it is 16 to 20 then I use 18. Just be aware that many manufacturers torque values are a one time value on new everything. Many times in my life I have had bolts or threads strip when they are done and undone frequently rather than once or twice in their lifetime. I tend to go the lower number on things that i will take off more frequently to prevent that.

apg1979

Threads
bolt size, thread and hardness of materials. Just use the manufacturer's recommendation. If something is 60 - 80 then I go 70. If it is 16 to 20 then I use 18. Just be aware that many manufacturers torque values are a one time value on new everything. Many times in my life I have had bolts or threads strip when they are done and undone frequently rather than once or twice in their lifetime. I tend to go the lower number on things that i will take off more frequently to prevent that.
good tip! worth keeping a handful of replacement bolts on hand to rotate same as you do w/ the blades i'd imagine then to be safe

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
By using the middle of road approach on torque setting also can account the fact that most torque wrenches are within the range of +- 3 %; unless, they are like the HFT that I am returning. One is off a whole lot more as the scales don't even align up properly. One of them if I say set it at 20 ft/lbs marks it is either 15 or 25 ft/lbs which makes it useless a precision tool.