42" Timecutter (75742) blade torque

apg1979

Threads
swapping out the blades on my Timecutter 42" (75742) and the manual says to torque the blades on between 60-80lb. I have a torque wrench and was only able so far to get about 35-40 lb of force laying on the ground with one arm (other one holding the blade). was gonna try the wood block trick or throwing on one of those arnold blade removal tools to hold the blade so i can put some more force behind the wrench. curious how many lb's everyone usually puts on their blades w/ this series to be safe

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
I use a block of wood to hold the blade from tuning.

apg1979

Threads
only reason i was considering that other tool is i'm not taking the deck off and just jacking the mower up instead so not sure the block will hold

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
you should be able to find a spot a 4x4 or 4x6 block of wood will stop on, and wedge the blade(s) against it. Get the blade close and use the torque wrench to turn it while you hold the block with the other hand. Then once it wedges get your hand out of the way in case it slips and finish the torque. Once you have done it, you'll never have trouble with it again. I keep a couple blocks lying around that fit well for that use.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
When I can’t get a block of wood to wedge properly I have a large C-clamp which I clamp to the deck. Put the screw on the inside and a small piece of wood on the outside to protect the deck paint.

apg1979

Threads
thanks for the tips! so outside of it maybe being unnecessary compared to simpler solutions like the log / c clamp options, any opinions on these if they are cheap enough? not sure which route i'll try yet but just weighing the options.

1650333099363.png