30" Walk behind.

sjessen

Threads
We used it a few minutes yesterday and it worked great or appeared to. One of my employees ran it but he said it was incredibly better than what we had been using. 4 MPH is incredibly fast compared to the old snapper we have been using.

I personally only ran it for about 5 minutes or less right after I brought it home.

I think it will fill the bill of what we need.

I like the fact that you can run the motor and self propel part and not have the blades engaged. Several times places we go it is 50 to 100 yards from the trailer to where we will cut grass with this mower.

More times than not we won't run a tank of gas a week through this mower. However I think it will give us a level of quality that most other competitors in our area do not seem to have.

I know that 4 MPH and 30" wide is much better than 21" wide and either creeping forward or having to push.

Based on your comments the Timemaster should be ideal.. Just remind your self it is a homeowner mower when the little things happen. Good luck on the purchase.

Flyin2low

Forum Newbie
Threads
Cub Cadet has a 33" walk behind for a home owner. I've seen them on sale for $1200. I have the Sears Craftsman comparable model and it really works well compared to any 21" self propelled mower. No problems with power going up a hill. It pulls me up my hills pretty well. I've mowed some tall grass along our pasture fencing with it and it cuts through 12" grass without bogging down.

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
Cub Cadet has a 33" walk behind for a home owner. I've seen them on sale for $1200. I have the Sears Craftsman comparable model and it really works well compared to any 21" self propelled mower. No problems with power going up a hill. It pulls me up my hills pretty well. I've mowed some tall grass along our pasture fencing with it and it cuts through 12" grass without bogging down.

I wont be using it as a residential mower ;) thats one of the reasons I want either the cub or ariens they are built much better than a craftsman or troy bilt. Granted its still a Homeowner machine but they are nicer. the craftsman looks small and fragile the cub is very heavy duty looking, and the ariens has some nice features. The one I would really like is the toro 32" with turbo force deck but that is going to run about $3000 all said and done and I could get a much better machine for 3g. and I dont want anything bigger than a 34" (50% of my houses have gates even a 34 would have trouble getting in.)

Lawnboy18

Lawn Addict
Threads
Can't wait for YBravo to bring up a 30" some day.

OneMowTime

Threads
That is what I am looking at is the Toro Time Master. Problem for me is I do not know of a dealer close by for either. My dealer that sells the other equip was talking about taking on Toro and they did have Exmart and dropped it. Nobody around here uses those type mowers that I have seen.

Any YBravo dealers in your area? They make a 26" walk-behind that's basically an enlarged version of their 21. I'd like to use one, but most of my accounts are postage stamp lawns with home-made gates into the back yards that I can BARELY squeeze my 21 Honda through!

Lawnboy18

Lawn Addict
Threads
Any YBravo dealers in your area? They make a 26" walk-behind that's basically an enlarged version of their 21. I'd like to use one, but most of my accounts are postage stamp lawns with home-made gates into the back yards that I can BARELY squeeze my 21 Honda through!

Yea, where I bought my 21" they were selling the 25", but 2 K for a few more inches is a lot. I would maybe get the Toro 30" instead for the same price.

bobvail

Forum Newbie
Threads
I've had many mowers as a home owner. Purchased a 21" Ariens with caster front wheels about eighteen years ago and it was the bomb. But it had a Tecumseh motor and the key on the flywheel or whatever kept breaking, so numerous trips to a repair shop and finally the last straw - couldn't fix :( They had a rebranded Ariens at HD (Scotts) on sale so I bought it. This one had a Briggs motor and I haven't had a problem (except had to fix the pull rope). This mower is by far the best mower I've ever used and I still do use it, but it's pretty heavy. Cuts grass like a barber and has a good throw on the side discharge. I don't 'mulch' grass, just use the side discharge. Works just as well and no clumps.

But I have a fairly large yard and when it's in the high nineties I want to get it over with ASAP. Purchased a Time Master a couple of summers ago and got through some issues. It's really a good mower for me - cuts down mow time by about 40% and I like the Personal Pace thing. I had a 21" PP and it was ok, but this TM is a lot better.

Pros:

Starts on first pull just about every time. I would not bother with the battery starter, as this pulls easily and you would need to keep the battery charged with a charger. PIA and adds weight.

Although it's pretty heavy, it's quite easy to maneuver, even around trees.

Blade brake. Blade clutch allows one to step away from the mower to pick something up or empty bag if one is used. Can also go forward with the blade disengaged.

Handle folds up so can be stored within the size of the wheelbase.

Dual blades shred up fall leaves pretty well. I try to leave on the lawn until it gets out of hand.

Mower will go as fast as most folks would wish. Of course slower means nicer cut and easier on us seasoned citizens.

Cons:

Like many gas operated equipment, if stopped for a couple of minutes, takes 5 or 6 pulls to start back up. I switched to pure gas - no ethanol - and now that problem is reduce or eliminated. You can find stations that sell zero ethanol by downloading the app "Pure Gas" on your smart phone or maybe try Ethanol-free gas stations in the U.S. and Canada on your computer.

I call this mower a Clog-o-matic. The deck design because of the dual blade means a lot of buildup and after a while very inefficient discharge and buildup of cuttings fall out onto the lawn in clumps. Since I use the side discharge 95% of the time, I fixed that by taking a saw and cut off a couple of inches from the discharge chute.

The deck cleanout hose hookup is a joke. It gets clogged up and even when I unclogged it doesn't do much. Too much crap under the deck. I just put the handle up in the vertical position and tip the mower backwards onto the handle. Then the deck is exposed so that I can hose it off nice and clean. I do this when the gas tank is almost empty...DUH!

This mower works best when the grass is dry and not too long. About two inch cut works well. Any more and you will leave trails of clippings laying on the lawn, as the mower doesn't throw grass a good distance, unless you do my mod.

Mower comes with something called a power bar or power assist - whatever. I took it off because it just got in the way of my hands.

In conclusion, I recommend this mower for homeowners to cut down on mowing time and not have to fiddle with speed settings - just start walking and Walla! the mower does its thing. I am not a contractor, but IMHO, I'm thinking this was not really intended for heavy commercial use. No expert, but I would look more towards Gravely, Ariens, Cub for heavy duty stuff.

p.s. My stuff seems to run a lot better when I use the zero ethanol gas. I recently purchased an Echo trimmer that is warrantied for five years non-commercial use, but is void if the owner uses ethanol (even 10%). That is why I went on the hunt for the pure gas.

Last edited:

Mike88se

Threads
The Turfmaster has good points and bad but for me the bad has become irritating. Thinking of selling it.

LoCo86

Threads
I can understand how the 30" mower can be appealing, but you can but two or three 20"-22" mowers with the money you are going to spend on one mower or you can buy a used 36" mower for just a little more money. For me I keep a foot difference between the mower deck size (22"-36"-52") the 30" never made any sense to me. Like I hinted to earlier if you can use a 30" you might as well buy a 36" and use a 20"-22" for the hard to reach areas or fenced in back yards. It's not like someone is fencing in a 1 acre lot and the only way to access it is through a 32" gate. Most yards that l have come across that have a small gate that only a push mower can fit through have very little grass inside that fenced area and mostly landscaped areas and patios.

LazerZLandscaping

Threads
I've had many mowers as a home owner. Purchased a 21" Ariens with caster front wheels about eighteen years ago and it was the bomb. But it had a Tecumseh motor and the key on the flywheel or whatever kept breaking, so numerous trips to a repair shop and finally the last straw - couldn't fix :( They had a rebranded Ariens at HD (Scotts) on sale so I bought it. This one had a Briggs motor and I haven't had a problem (except had to fix the pull rope). This mower is by far the best mower I've ever used and I still do use it, but it's pretty heavy. Cuts grass like a barber and has a good throw on the side discharge. I don't 'mulch' grass, just use the side discharge. Works just as well and no clumps.

But I have a fairly large yard and when it's in the high nineties I want to get it over with ASAP. Purchased a Time Master a couple of summers ago and got through some issues. It's really a good mower for me - cuts down mow time by about 40% and I like the Personal Pace thing. I had a 21" PP and it was ok, but this TM is a lot better.

Pros:

Starts on first pull just about every time. I would not bother with the battery starter, as this pulls easily and you would need to keep the battery charged with a charger. PIA and adds weight.

Although it's pretty heavy, it's quite easy to maneuver, even around trees.

Blade brake. Blade clutch allows one to step away from the mower to pick something up or empty bag if one is used. Can also go forward with the blade disengaged.

Handle folds up so can be stored within the size of the wheelbase.

Dual blades shred up fall leaves pretty well. I try to leave on the lawn until it gets out of hand.

Mower will go as fast as most folks would wish. Of course slower means nicer cut and easier on us seasoned citizens.

Cons:

Like many gas operated equipment, if stopped for a couple of minutes, takes 5 or 6 pulls to start back up. I switched to pure gas - no ethanol - and now that problem is reduce or eliminated. You can find stations that sell zero ethanol by downloading the app "Pure Gas" on your smart phone or maybe try Ethanol-free gas stations in the U.S. and Canada on your computer.

I call this mower a Clog-o-matic. The deck design because of the dual blade means a lot of buildup and after a while very inefficient discharge and buildup of cuttings fall out onto the lawn in clumps. Since I use the side discharge 95% of the time, I fixed that by taking a saw and cut off a couple of inches from the discharge chute.

The deck cleanout hose hookup is a joke. It gets clogged up and even when I unclogged it doesn't do much. Too much crap under the deck. I just put the handle up in the vertical position and tip the mower backwards onto the handle. Then the deck is exposed so that I can hose it off nice and clean. I do this when the gas tank is almost empty...DUH!

This mower works best when the grass is dry and not too long. About two inch cut works well. Any more and you will leave trails of clippings laying on the lawn, as the mower doesn't throw grass a good distance, unless you do my mod.

Mower comes with something called a power bar or power assist - whatever. I took it off because it just got in the way of my hands.

In conclusion, I recommend this mower for homeowners to cut down on mowing time and not have to fiddle with speed settings - just start walking and Walla! the mower does its thing. I am not a contractor, but IMHO, I'm thinking this was not really intended for heavy commercial use. No expert, but I would look more towards Gravely, Ariens, Cub for heavy duty stuff.

p.s. My stuff seems to run a lot better when I use the zero ethanol gas. I recently purchased an Echo trimmer that is warrantied for five years non-commercial use, but is void if the owner uses ethanol (even 10%). That is why I went on the hunt for the pure gas.

Scotts is made by John Deere, not Ariens.