2 cycle vs 4 cycle string trimmer ?

jekjr

Lawn Addict
Threads
Not correct.
Curved shafts come in both directions.
I can buy left hand drive shafts and right hand drive shafts
Because strait shaft trimmers usually have a solid shaft they can take a lot heavier load on the head.
Curved shafts use a twisted cable so can not be used with high load heads

Curious on that one. For a curved shaft trimmer to operate a different direction that would mean that the motor has to run one direction or the other since every one I ever saw ran the way that the motor rotated.

The reason a straight shaft trimmer runs opposite is that it has two gears in the shaft at the bottom.......

jekjr

Lawn Addict
Threads
I would highly recommend an Echo 225 trimmer. It is light weight enough for a home owner to operate and is very powerful. I have two of them. Both of the units we have are PAS models meaning they will accept other attachments. They are hard to beat. One of mine was bought in March of 2014 and it has been run brutally.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Curious on that one. For a curved shaft trimmer to operate a different direction that would mean that the motor has to run one direction or the other since every one I ever saw ran the way that the motor rotated.

The reason a straight shaft trimmer runs opposite is that it has two gears in the shaft at the bottom.......

That's right the engines spin the other way and some have off set engines with a gear .

RDA.Lawns

Threads
Never seen that. But I've only owned 3 brands of trimmers so I'm no expert. :)

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
On most 4 strokes you have to keep up with the valve lash. ( adjust the valves )
Check oil level and change oil. To much work for me.

javjacob

Threads
4 strokes are heavy, have less power, have to change oil and adjust valves... Mixing gas/oil doesn't sound like a big deal now. 4 strokes have a LOT more moving parts and a lot more things to go wrong especially since trimmers like to be revved up high. 2 strokes are powerful, lightweight, low/no maintenance and they love to rev. The EPA is trying to force 4 strokes down our throats.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Without getting too political, it is all about "appearing to be doing something" while actually making the problems worse.
So every year politicians and their minions come up with tighter emission regulations to "reduce air pollution"
However every trimmer in the USA running all day long will not generate as much pollution as 1 single jumbo jet taking off.
If you add the embedded pollution in the manufacture of both a 2 stroke & 4 stroke 160cc mower engine to the emmissions coming from those engines, they have to run for 300 hours for the 4 stroke to catch up to the 2 stroke
However most 4 strokes are only certifiably cleaner than a 2 stroke for 50 to 100 hours.
It takes almost the same energy and generates the same pollution to make a throw away piece of junk as it does to make a quality piece of kit that will run for 20 years.
So if politicians really wanted to save the planet they would legislate for longer service lives and enforce existing quality standards.
Applies to both our countries equally.
Sleeze bag pliticians seem to be universal across all borders & all cultures.

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
Smoke and mirrors.

cashman

Threads
I have a Honda four-stroke trimmer but never use it because it is too heavy for me to use. It cuts great and all that but I prefer the light weight trimmers. Have a Stihl FS-90 trimmer also and it is nearly too heavy for me. My fav trimmer is the $89 Weedeater from Wally World. Light and can use it with one hand. I don't use them commercially anymore and can get two - three years out of the Weedeaters before the primer and diaphrams go south.

BoylermanCT

Threads
I have the same $89 Weedeater brand trimmer, and it always starts on the second pull, no matter how long it has been sitting. I can use it with one hand it is so light. I bought a $89 Weedeater leaf blower with the same engine on it, and it always starts on the 2nd pull, even after sitting for a year. These were cheapies but goodies! I have 6 years on both of them, and used them both this week. Maybe its the ethanol treatment I put in all my gas that is keeping them alive!