1998 Ford explorer V8 awd for lawn care

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
txzrider said:
An explorer is not an f150 w/o the bed... it is a ranger w/o the bed. F150 and expeditions I believe are on the same frame. less than 3000 pounds does not sound like alot to pull until you need to stop! Make sure your brakes and tires are in good shape. Also make sure you practice with the trailer. If you are just now getting your license, everything takes longer with a trailer, from crossing intersections to entering the highway onramp. Take care and good luck.

Not sure where you got your info It is a f150 If it was a ranger it would be a lot smaller hello.
All the suspension parts are the same part numbers as the f150 the rear end , engine , and tranny are the same.

You do know that a ranger is a small truck

Sent from my iPhone using LMF

boston

Threads
Ok thanks. Ford rangers only come in v6 though. Explorers were available in 6 or 8.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
An explorer is not an f150 w/o the bed... it is a ranger w/o the bed. F150 and expeditions I believe are on the same frame. less than 3000 pounds does not sound like alot to pull until you need to stop! Make sure your brakes and tires are in good shape. Also make sure you practice with the trailer. If you are just now getting your license, everything takes longer with a trailer, from crossing intersections to entering the highway onramp. Take care and good luck.

Not sure where you got your info It is a f150 If it was a ranger it would be a lot smaller hello.
All the suspension parts are the same part numbers as the f150 the rear end , engine , and tranny are the same.

You do know that a ranger is a small truck

Sent from my iPhone using LMF

txzrider is right, An Explorer is not an f150 w/o the bed... it is a Ranger w/o the bed. The F150 and Expeditions have same frame, has been for as long as forever. They use the same Ranger frame for there Mercury Mountaineer.
If the Explorer has a trailer tow package it already has the cooler and larger suspension and will pull anything you will want to pull especially with the 5.0. They also used the 5.0 high output engine in the original mustangs which at the time 1965 were 289 cu.in.

boston

Threads
Yea ur right. In 1998 there was an option for the v6 and v8. The v8 automatically came with more heavy duty truck suspension and truck -like frame. It was also ready to tow. The explorers made after 2001 I think, they started putting a smaller v8 which was a 4.6 L in all the explorers but the 6 stayed at 4.0 L. I like the 5.0 302 the best, it has the best sound and performance that was every in an explorer. My explorer only has 150,000 miles and I could definitely put at least another 150,000 on it before major repairs

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Yea ur right. In 1998 there was an option for the v6 and v8. The v8 automatically came with more heavy duty truck suspension and truck -like frame. It was also ready to tow. The explorers made after 2001 I think, they started putting a smaller v8 which was a 4.6 L in all the explorers but the 6 stayed at 4.0 L. I like the 5.0 302 the best, it has the best sound and performance that was every in an explorer. My explorer only has 150,000 miles and I could definitely put at least another 150,000 on it before major repairs

The thing that I here most often is all the talk about what's needed to pull a Lawn care package around and for most part it's ridiculous. They told me on some other boards that my F-150 with the 5.4 Triton and trailer tow package wasn't sufficient for my business which is ridiculous.

That Explorer will do everything you want to do and more. Heck there was a guy on here that is using a Mini Cooper to pull his, I think 12ft trailer and equipment for his small business. I used a Ford Escape with a 4 cylinder when I first started and pulled a 10ft trailer and never had a problem with it.

You just have to remember that a lot of the bigger business owners and others will feed you a lot of trash and it's all meant to discourage the new guy or small business owner IMO and is BS.

boston

Threads
Yea I heard a lotta the bs people are saying about it. Ur 100% right

slammed

Threads
All I did is gave him good advice. That applies to anyone pulling a trailer that is.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Do u think I should get a weight distributing hitch? The underside of the truck is very rusty so I might have to replace the shocks. I know for sure the leaf springs need to be replaced cuz their rusting out

Sounds to me like your Ford explorer is a rusted out junk. If the SUV's springs are so rusty that they are no good I would sure be looking at the frame which you said underside was rusty. I don't know the laws in NJ but in NY it sounds like it wouldn't pass inspection in NY.

boston

Threads
It's mostly surface rust but the shocks could probably be replaced. It always passes inspection. The small parts that are really rusty can be replaced but I know I can tow cuz I've towed in the past with it. The only thing I'm changing on it is I'm adding the frame mount hitch cuz the bumper hitch can't handle as much.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Do u think I should get a weight distributing hitch? The underside of the truck is very rusty so I might have to replace the shocks. I know for sure the leaf springs need to be replaced cuz their rusting out

Did I read this wrong? underside very rusty and springs rusting out. You know what you have I don't , so just be careful what you are putting a hitch on to pull a trailer.