1995 John Deere Sabre plowing/mowing

Threads
Thats not a bad tractor at all for cutting grass. Im up in New England and i have seen guys have trouble with the transmission in those and it seems it’s only the ones that plow with them. They seem to hold up better with the snowblower because you’re not puching the weight rather moving it out of the way.
is The snowblower attachment belt driven just like the mower deck? What model number is the attachment? I can’t seem to find any that would fit my mower

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I commend you on wanting to go to work, but I hate to be a Scrooge. I wouldn’t recommend using this tractor to start a small enterprise with. The startup costs you will need to get going will probably exceed what you get out, unless you are extremely lucky. I’ve worked on many of those units and those used for blowing only lasted about two years, when everything was new, not 25 years old. Plowing even less. I live in Wisconsin and they aren’t built well enough for our winters. If you do start doing work, but your equipment fails you don’t look go. I recommend you would stick the $$$$$ you were going to put into two good used snowblowers instead. One good two stage unit for the big blows and a single stage unit for the lighter jobs. Being 14 I assume you will be doing this in your neighborhood and can walk it from one job to the next. Good Luck.
P.S. Might want to read this forum?? https://www.greentractortalk.com/threads/new-user-snowblower-for-jd-sabre.221111/

Last edited:

Threads
I commend you on wanting to go to work, but I hate to be a Scrooge. I wouldn’t recommend using this tractor to start a small enterprise with. The startup costs you will need to get going will probably exceed what you get out, unless you are extremely lucky. I’ve worked on many of those units and those used for blowing only lasted about two years, when everything was new, not 25 years old. Plowing even less. I live in Wisconsin and they aren’t built well enough for our winters. If you do start doing work, but your equipment fails you don’t look go. I recommend you would stick the $$$$$ you were going to put into two good used snowblowers instead. One good two stage unit for the big blows and a single stage unit for the lighter jobs. Being 14 I assume you will be doing this in your neighborhood and can walk it from one job to the next. Good Luck.
P.S. Might want to read this forum?? https://www.greentractortalk.com/threads/new-user-snowblower-for-jd-sabre.221111/
I also live in Wisconsin. And I would be doing this around my neighborhood. I also posted in another forum and I think I might just use snowblowers or a cheap atv.

I got this lawnmower from school because the teacher brought it in and I asked to buy it but he said no because the motor blew up. he let me rebuild the motor pretty much on my own and when it was finished we sharpened the blades and he said I can take it home. It’s actually in pretty good shape but for some reason I cant send pictures.

you might not be able to answer this but I thought I heard if you gently push the brake/clutch pedal it will active only the clutch and you can shift on the go, is that true?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Can be done, but I don’t recommend it. Will shorten the life of the gears even faster on an old tranny.

MowerNick

Threads
I would not try to shift on the go. Not a good idea.

Threads
@Rivets where are you located? Would you be interested in buying my lawnmower?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Located south of Lake Superior, East of the Mississippi, West of Lake Michigan and North of Illinois. Sorry I’ve got enough equipment laying around and my better half says enough already.

Threads
Located south of Lake Superior, East of the Mississippi, West of Lake Michigan and North of Illinois. Sorry I’ve got enough equipment laying around and my better half says enough already.
Ok Thats fine

Freddie21

Threads
I had both the blade and the blower. The blower is the way to go, if you can find an affordable one. The blade can beat the hell out of the machine if you're not experienced and somewhat gentle. I have stood the machine up on the front wheels many times when the blade grabs. The same can be with the blower. Don't bite off more than the machine can chew. Go over area twice rather than trying to clear deep, heavy snow all at once. The upkeep on the blower is typical. Keep it clean and lubricated. Either way, practice when there is no snow, push an object like a plastic garbage can around the driveway.

If you're in the northern states, you'll need, at least chains, on the rear wheels. Probable wheel weights also. I did in lower Michigan. The weight of the blade\blower pulls the weight off the rear of the machine. You are going to be shifting For\Rev very often. Make sure drive belts are in good shape. I was able to blow a 200 foot driveway without stopping with the blower. Not true with the blade. Blower gets rid of the snow, blade has to push it just off to the side. Mounting either was about the same, once you figure it out. I also filled my rear tires with RV antifreeze for added weight and traction. Also give an nicer ride all year long.

If you can, I would suggest getting a blower, wheel weights and a set of chains. Have fun, make some money and be very safe.

Gord Baker

Threads
I’m 14 years old and have a 1998 John Deere Sabre. I plan on cutting grass during summer and plowing in winter. What plow will fit my model? I think it’s a 1338 gear. Also any other mods or tips I should know. I have cut grass with a push mower and used a shovel but never a ridding mower.
Your Sabre is too light and underpowered (16 HP?) to plow much snow. Fix up an older Snowblower 28" or more wide.