13.5 hp briggs

upnorth

Threads
REYNOLDSTON - I got google earth and found the township. Not really that far. Be looking forward to a meeting.

upnorth

Threads
I got the pulley part yesterday via UPS.
The old pulley had the key separate from the assembly. This new pulley, the key is cast with the sleeve part. [not separate]
Just waiting for the gasket set to arrive.
I got them from partstree in florida.

upnorth

Threads
I got the rest of the parts today. In the gasket set there are three crankcase gaskets and a white platic piece in the shape of a gasket. Is this a shim for crankshaft clearance? I got some synthetic oil, a gas filter and a new plug. There's several parts I didn't recognize when I was tearing it down [O rings etc]
I got a tube of Loctite Blue. Do I use this on all the bolts or just the head and crankcase cover bolts?

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
I only use Loctite on the rocker arm studs myself.

They sent you 3-4 different thickness base gaskets to take the up-down play out of the crankshaft.

upnorth

Threads
It's hard to believe that there is a locking screw inside those rocker nuts that hold the rockers in place. I still haven't looked into it.
I will later today. Also, I noticed a cap on one of the valve stems. Now, I don't remember if two caps were used. I put the head in my wash tank then blew out the head. I don't know if one of the caps blew off or if it only used one cap. How canI tell if I need two or just one cap?

upnorth

Threads
I looked at a thread [video] of adjusting valves on a 15hp briggs. There was only one cap on the intake valve. the adjustment specs were the exact match for mine - .003 to .005 and .005 to .007
So, if I can i'll set one at .004 and the other at .006.
I did see the locking screw in the valve ball nut. So now I feel a little more comfortable.
I couldn't for the life of me figure out how the nuts stay in place with all that movement. Now I know. The nut itself screws over the stud and the locking screw presses down on top of the stud.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Sounds to me like you are doing OK. Did you grind the valves and valve seats. I always like to adjust the valves on the loose side or high number.

upnorth

Threads
I did not pull the valves. I figured they are seating properly so why invite trouble.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
I did not pull the valves. I figured they are seating properly so why invite trouble.

This is besides the point seeing you are putting the engine together. When I have a engine apart to that point I always just clean the valves and seats with lapping compound. This also gives you a opportunity to replace the valve seals.